PDA

View Full Version : Helgoland

merlin2
March 15th, 2009, 05:55
Hi all: is there a Helgoland add-on out there? It is an important piece of landscape in the North Sea.
with thanks
William

Buddha13
March 15th, 2009, 06:24
Hi Merlin,
With Rhumbaflappy's new mesh that should put it back into the world.

Buddha13

merlin2
March 15th, 2009, 06:45
In the new LOD8 at N54* 10.07, E7* 55.02 there are two small "islands" that look like sandbars.
At N54* 22.04 E7*47.24 there is a small patch of shallow water.

but no Helgoland that I can see!

any suggestions?

thanks

kdriver
March 15th, 2009, 09:09
Hi Merlin,

If you install Sander de Cocq's EurW package and Jaxon's Sylt-Westerland/Helgoland package you should get this. There is no elevation mesh for the main island so the red cliffs are missing but otherwise it's quite accurate.

Kevin

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79752&d=1237136523

merlin2
March 15th, 2009, 09:50
Thanks for the lead; It looks good--I will try it;

but were there always two islands? I only knew of the main one (the one on the left of your photo).

Jagdflieger
March 15th, 2009, 18:01
Here are a few shots of Helgoland during the war and from a visit five years ago.

It is a great destination for a day trip on the ferry and it has several duty free stores. You can buy great Cuban cigars and Scotch whiskey there.

dvslats
March 15th, 2009, 20:24
Cuban cigars and Scotch whiskey...Isn't that reserved for when you die and go to heaven? :icon_lol:

PHo17
March 16th, 2009, 02:02
Cuban cigars and Scotch whiskey...Isn't that reserved for when you die and go to heaven? :icon_lol:

I'd rather smoke and drink mine here on earth just in case ... and single malt please.

:d

kdriver
March 16th, 2009, 04:38
Merlin

There might not be two islands for much longer. The developers are planning to dredge sand and join Dune, the smaller island where the airport is located, to the larger island, creating a new hotel/marina complex.

KD

Jaxon
March 16th, 2009, 10:14
The one on the screenie is a scanned pic made by me.
It shows the actual island of today with the runway-strips on the lower, flat island "Duene" (~dune).

Out of the box, it was just that texture laying o the water => it "felt" like water, when moving around.
First with sanders rework of the land-water-masks, this are became true (virtual) land files
I was stunned myself, how both totally different attemps fit together so good.

When comparing to the pic Jagd posted, you can see, the runway layout during WW2 was different.

My girlfriends father is deeper into naval history and got a book about fortification heligoland during WW2 for Christmas.

I took a quick view in it and already told about my need for this, too.
There are lots of infos and great pics inside!

I hope to get the book later this year, when he finished reading it..

klausreiss
November 2nd, 2011, 10:09
Hallo Jaxon,

I've downloaded and installed your scenery, but I've got an error-message if I start it in freeflight.
Something seemed to be missing ( 0x4C65726F ). Maybe a building or something like this.
Any ideas?

Best wishes

Jagdflieger
November 2nd, 2011, 16:49
There is FS 9 scenery for Helgoland, but I don't know if it would work in CFS 2.