PDA

View Full Version : The Wife's New Laptop..can't find specs on it

OBIO
March 15th, 2009, 02:57
The other evening, my wife finally got the laptop she has been wanting for a while. It was originally a graduation present given to our nephew in May 2006. He used it for less than 2 months before shipping out for US Army boot camp. After boot and basic, he came home for two weeks...and apparently used a good bit of that free time looking at nekkid women on the internet...and as a result the laptop was serious infected with viruses, trojans, worms, roaches, leeches and just about every other nasty thing the net has to offer. The system would not run at all. He got a new laptop shortly after deploying to Iraq and told his parents that they could trash the "old" one. Since then, the laptop has sat lifeless on the top of his dresser.

A few weeks ago, sis-in-law and bubby-in-law were over for pizza and movie night and my wife mentioned wanting a laptop. Well, they told us about Donnie's non-working one and said she could have it.

Anyhow, got it Friday evening, fired the system up using a boot utility CD and ran a anti-virus sweep. 22 viruses, all high, very high, or severe threat levels. Can't remember the number of trojans and worms...but definitely more than I have ever seen on one system at one time before.

I did a deep format, reinstalled XP Home SP2 (the laptop came with the original unopened XP disc, the original unopened software disc, all paperwork and cords)...got the sytem updated to SP3, antivirus in place, system utilities installed. So now my wife has a 2 to 2.5 year old laptop with about 3 months of run time on the clock.

I have looked and looked for specs on the system to see just how far I can upgrade the thing. It has a 38 gig HD. RAM...not sure....the BIOs says 644meg (or there abouts), the System thingie under control panel says 244 meg. The BIOs and what info I was able to find on line says that the AMD Sempron 2800+ is clocked at 1.6Ghz, but the System thingie under Control Panel pegs it at 756Mhz.

Does anyone know where I can find the detailed specs on this system and just what it can support? And yes, I have been to HP.com and they had nothing showing the detailed specs on this system.

The system is an HP Pavillion ZE2000.

The 15 inch screen is sharp! DVD Rom drive, 2 USB 2.0 ports, S-Video out, VGA out, pretty decent sound. For the price we paid for the system (LOL), it is worth adding a larger HD and some more RAM to get the system to run a tad faster. Doesn't have to be a super computer as my wife will be using it to browse a couple forums (fish and ferret info), do some E-Bay shopping, basic e-mail and her nursing stuff once she is able to return to work. And watching DVDs on it in the bedroom.

OBIO

MaskRider
March 15th, 2009, 04:24
You can get the information any number of ways.

Here is a pretty simple one:

Start>All programs> Accessories> system tools> system information

You can get to the same system info display thru the Help menu, too.

Butcherbird17
March 15th, 2009, 06:21
Here is a great site with info, reviews and forums for every type notebook and laptop known to man.:typing:

http://www.notebookreview.com/

Joe

hey_moe
March 15th, 2009, 07:31
You can download a trialware of this program and it will give ya all the info you will ever need to know about your pooter>> http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en&page=11

David_L6
March 15th, 2009, 07:40
Open "Product Description", then "1.1 Features".

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00444840/c00444840.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Also: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2570

OBIO
March 15th, 2009, 11:47
Finally found out about the memory limits.

200 pin SO-DIM DDR 266 (PC2100) or DDR 333 (PC2700). Up to 2 1-gig sticks. $70 bucks will take the memory up by a factor of 800% (256meg to 2 gig). That should get the laptop hopping along much better.

Now to find a suitably large HD for the thing.

OBIO

EDIT: The confusion never ends. I have come across so much different info for this system. Some say that the max memory is 2 X 512, but those are the Intel based ze2000 systems. On Yahoo Answers, a person who has the AMD Sempron 2800+ model said that they have 2 x 1gig installed with no problems. It appears that there were about 40 different "models" of the Pavillion ZE2000 produced and most sites that have any specs on the Ze2000 list the specs for the Intel based systems.

Turns out we have the Ze2000Z...the AMD based model. It can go with 2 1 gig sticks of DDr333 (PC2700) 200-pin SODIMs.