PDA

View Full Version : Remove your Downadup/conficker infection!

Ferry_vO
March 14th, 2009, 14:13
http://www.bdtools.net/

BitDefender Labs has detected a new and more aggressive Downadup version on Saturday, 07.02.2009. It spreads using a Windows RPC Server Service vulnerability and is called Win32.Worm.Downadup.Gen.

The new version is more resilient to disinfection. Once the system is compromised, the worm disables Windows Update and blocks access to most of the anti-virus websites in order to hinder the user to disinfect his machine.

BitDefender is the first to offer a free tool which disinfects all versions of Downadup and is available for all infected users at: http://bdtools.net This domain is the first to serve a removal tool without being blocked by the e-threat.

The worm itself is not new, it made its first appearance late November 2008, known under the names Conficker or Kido as well exploiting the vulnerability described in the Microsoft security bulletin MS08-067. After successful exploitation it used to install rogue security software on the infected machine.

cheezyflier
March 14th, 2009, 19:45
i don't know how you guys get all these virus/worms/trojans.
i am on the net all day every day, and i have crappy norton anti virus firewall.
i almost never get infected. no kidding, i have found 2 virus in the last 5 years. i have a suspicion that using opera most of the time is a factor.

Pepere
March 15th, 2009, 05:37
If you don't go where you should not go you won't get things that you don't want. Kind of like real life.

David :kilroy:

cheezyflier
March 15th, 2009, 05:43
If you don't go where you should not go you won't get things that you don't want. Kind of like real life.

i suspected that a factor too, but i wasn't going to be the first one to say it:costumes:

stansdds
March 15th, 2009, 07:38

That's pretty much it.

OleBoy
March 15th, 2009, 07:57
Never trust an umbrella. Always wear your raincoat :amen:

GT182
March 15th, 2009, 09:11
Never trust an umbrella. Always wear your raincoat :amen:

True OB..... But raincoats have been known to have holes in them too. ;)

OleBoy
March 15th, 2009, 10:20
There went the my coffee:barf::d:ernae:

Brian_Gladden
March 16th, 2009, 16:04
Got hit with this dang thing this morning....

I was on a site that I usualy go to without any problems (And it's not one of "those" sites either) Looks like it was embedded in one of the ads on the site. AVG popped up a warning but didn't do anything to stop it.

Went out and bought Defender pro this afternoon. Ran the scan and it found the virus (Tried an online scan and it hung up) But it could not remove/heal the infection. Running the tool as I write this... Cross your fingers....

Brian

Edit: Wasn't the downadup but the Vundo Trojan... Running a repair tool for that now....

stansdds
March 16th, 2009, 17:13
AVG just isn't as good as it once was.

Brian_Gladden
March 16th, 2009, 18:35
Get Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. This program kicks A$$! :woot:

I've been fighting with my system all day. I folowed a link from a google search and tried it. 45 minutes later, it had scanned my system, deleted 95% of the viruses on the first pass and would kill the rest on a reboot.

I'n running it a second time to make sure, but so far so good :applause:

Brian