PDA

View Full Version : Shock cone effect

Shylock
March 14th, 2009, 02:21
I'm looking to create a shock cone effect to go along with the Acceleration F-18 Hornet. I have been trying my hand at it but not to sure how to go about creating it. I would need it to be activated when the aircraft reaches a certain speed like Mach 0.9. For that I know it would have to be in the gauge file to function off a certain speed rather then activating the light function key. Heres a few pics of what I'm aiming for.

I know people have made attempts at this in the past but we would like to have our very own version. Looking for it to be freeware and availible to everybody in the flight sim community.

dogknot
March 14th, 2009, 12:50
There is a freeware version included in this package at avsim. You might want to look through its workings if you'd like to make your own.

Carrier Operation Package V2.0
Rob Barendregt, Doug Dawson, Nick Needham
rcbco-20.zip

from the readme:

3.4. Breaking the sound barrier: the SonicBoom effect
================================================== ===
Go into Spotplane view, let your aircraft accellerate to MACH-1, and observe the "cloud" being formed and pushed forward by the aircraft; when the aircraft reaches MACH-1, it punches through the cloud and the Boom sound is played.
Needless to say this effect is only usefull for supersonic aircraft :-)

Snuffy
March 14th, 2009, 13:46
... Needless to say this effect is only usefull for supersonic aircraft :-)

Really? Damn, no wonder it doesn't work with my B-17s ... :banghead: :focus:

Shylock
March 15th, 2009, 02:15
Thanks Dog thats some what of what I was tinkering with. The problem lies for me getting the Guage DLL open for the F-18 that comes with Acceleration in order for the effect to work when it hits mach 0.9. Work in progress I guess.