PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to use a paint kit?

b17lover
March 13th, 2009, 23:09
Hello everyone. Does anyone know how to use a paint kit to put a picture onto the exterior model? Thanks.

jankees
March 13th, 2009, 23:14
Hello everyone. Does anyone know how to use a paint kit to put a picture onto the exterior model? Thanks.

I wouldn't have the faintest idea....

seriously, what is it you want to know?
Apart from the paintkit, you'll need a graphics program (Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP, Paintshop) and DXTbmp. Have you got those?

b17lover
March 13th, 2009, 23:41
I have DXTbmp.

jankees
March 14th, 2009, 01:03
That's a start.
Basically, what you do is this:
- Open the paintkit in your graphics program
- Draw the textures/markings that you're aiming for
- Save the textures in bmp format
- convert the textures to extended bmp or dds using DXTbmp
- declare the new textures in FS9/X
- enjoy your work.

There are lots of expansion details possible at all of the steps, but have you looked here: http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/, for tutorials?

Cazzie
March 14th, 2009, 03:56
Open the Paint Kit in your graphics editor.

Most all contain layers for detail, weathering, etc. Make sure other layers are below these.

I work by closing all weathering and detail layers leaving only the paint layers shown. Work with the paint layer only, but it is always best to add a new layer above that for your paint. Your individual markings should be in separate layers also.

Just remember the trick is to always work in layers, I have as many as a hundred layers before merging some visible.

Start with something easy, Piglet's models are normally a easy repaint unless he's been eating fermented dog biscuits when he laid out the texture sheets. :d

Caz

b17lover
March 14th, 2009, 09:56
Ha Ha! Thanks a lot fellas.

n4gix
March 14th, 2009, 10:33
Just as a suggestion, when composing your question, try to make it a bit less silly sounding... :welcome:

Quite obviously there are a lot of people who know how...

It would have been better to phrase the question as:

"Would anyone who knows how to do xyz please tell me" :ernae:

mike_cyul
March 14th, 2009, 10:41
Did you get a chance to use the tutorials at Simmers Paint Shop, as I recommended in your pm to me? :)

Mike