PDA

View Full Version : My (somewhat) new hobby

DaveKDEN
March 13th, 2009, 14:39
Well, it's not that I don't still enjoy FSX, but I just don't seem to be as infatuated with it as I was orignially. So, I'm adding electric RC helicopters to my hobby mix. I originally bought the Air Hogs Reflex just about a year ago (after a brief try with the Air Hogs Havoc - completely worthless). Promptly wore out it's welcome as it was more controlled chaos than controlled flight. The fore-aft thrusters on it really don't work worth a darn, and the modifications I tried to make it more controllable ended up ruining it (it's remains are currently in a cabinet in my garage). My next choice was a version of the Picco Z, but it used a true radio transmitter instead of the cheesy IR remote control (which the Havoc uses and makes it about useless). While it's a fun little thing, it's also more of controlled chaos than true RC heli flight.

So, today I picked up the E-flite Blade MCX and all's I have to say is WOW!!! :applause: She's quite a little beauty - and is fun as heck. Comes with a Spektrum 2.4GHz transmitter that offers dual modes (a slow mode for beginner and the regular mode). I had full control on my first flight. Ran her through the house without hitting a thing. Only dropped it a bit rough once and it tipped over - but no damage. This thing is great for indoor flight, but can apparently be used outdoors on calm wind days. Think I'll stick with indoors for now. Anyway, if you're thinking about delving into RC helicopters, don't waste your time and money on the 'toy' styles. Take the plunge and go for something that allows for full control - you'll be thankful you did.
PS; I don't work for, nor do I own any E-flight stock. :d
PPS; E-flite's Blade CX, CX2, and the new NOTAR style CX3 are also contenders, but are a bit larger and somewhat more expensive. I imagine I'll make the jump to something larger down the road, but for now the MCX is quite enjoyable. :jump:
PPPS; Pick up a spare battery for it. One in the included charger while you're flying. Simple swap of batteries, and you're back in the air.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH2200

CrashnBurns
March 13th, 2009, 15:18
Dave,

All Havocs are not created equal. Had one that was completely useless, as yours was. But, I also had one that wasn't. When the battery was fully charged, it was quite skittish. When the battery got to the middle of it's "drain" cycle, it was amazingly responsive for an IR toy. I could fly it around the living room with incredible precision. I found balance weights were the key.

Crash

GT182
March 13th, 2009, 16:11
I've seen those little buggers Dave and they're nice. Too bad you can't put a small camera on em and link it a headset to fly it as though you're sitting in the cockpit. That would be a blast.

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
November 26th, 2011, 12:55
I have Rc Helis as well. I have a Walkera Lama 400 and a Syma S107 Three channel Indoor heli with a gyro.

OBIO
November 26th, 2011, 15:46
I bought my 5-year old great nephew one of those little IR controlled helos for Christmas. The kid loves planes and helicopters, so when I saw it in a local store for $15, I knew it would be the perfect Christmas gift. A couple days ago, he was looking at the sales papers and saw a pic of a RC helo and asked his grandma to write his name beside the picture because that is what he wants for Christmas. I do believe that I will be equal to Spiderman in his eyes after he opens that little IR Helo on Christmas morning.

OBIO

airtj
November 26th, 2011, 17:24
I've played around in the house with a swann IR helicopter, they are a blast! My cousin got a double horse 9053 and let me fly it a couple of times. It was a blast and I decided to get one for my birth day. Haven't tried it out because of the weather, just have to wait for the weather to get better.

(http://www.amazon.com/Volitation-Channel-Outdoor-RC-Helicopter/dp/B004PBJPN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322360478&sr=8-1)http://www.amazon.com/Swann-SW391-SML-Micro-Lightning-Helicopter/dp/B004V3Q2UE/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1322360629&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Volitation-Channel-Outdoor-RC-Helicopter/dp/B004PBJPN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322360478&sr=8-1

modelr
November 27th, 2011, 06:06
Dave, Gotta agree with you on the Blade MCX. Fun little machine. I have a V1 version that I've had for a couple of years. Enjoy it every winter, when I can't fly the big ones because of weather. The newer versions are much more controllable than mine, even. Better gyros. And the newer full control ones, just as small, are really awesome. Fully aerobatic!! Small enough to be flown in the living room, but not recommended for beginners! My LHS lets me fly their demo in the store, since I have larger size experience.

Have fun, they are worth it. The IR type, while fun, are much much more toy like in comparison.