PDA

View Full Version : Thanks giving weekend in Canada?

Lionheart
October 11th, 2008, 07:48
Hey guys,

I was not aware that it was Thanks Giving Weekend in Canada.

May I ask how it came about? For instance, in America, its the Pilgrims celebration of thanks when they had arrived in America and lived through the rough winter here. (Evidently they hadnt found Phoenix yet... eeeks...! ).

Bill

Panther_99FS
October 11th, 2008, 07:52
:applause::jump::applause:

EasyEd
October 11th, 2008, 07:58
Hey All,

Yes it is Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. I have to admit it is something I'll never get used to Thanksgiving before Halloween - weird!

Why so early? I don't know except to say that I've been told it relates to harvest time - early in Canada since it is farther north. Whether that is true or not I don't know.

If I'm facetious :costumes: I suspect it is wanting to beat America to the punch just like Independence Day which in Canada is July 1 - before July 4.

-Ed-

denisch
October 11th, 2008, 08:03
If my history serves me right Thanksgiving in the U.S. did not become a national holiday until the time of the Civil War.

Tako_Kichi
October 11th, 2008, 08:05
It seems there have been a number of different dates for Thanksgiving over the years. Have a look at this page....

http://www.pch.gc.ca/PROGS/CPSC-CCSP/JFA-HA/action_e.cfm

According to this follow-on link it would appear that some years saw two Thanksgiving days.

http://www.pch.gc.ca/PROGS/CPSC-CCSP/JFA-HA/graces_e.cfm

Silver Fox
October 11th, 2008, 09:04
In general terms Thanksgiving is celebrated just after harvest... the time when farmers have a chance to unwind, eat the fruits of their labours (pun intended) and get ready for the coming winter.

Thanksgiving signals the end of cottage season and the time when most outdoor work comes to be wound down. Traditionally it also coincides quite closely with the time when Canada switches National Anthems from the well-known 'Oh Canada" to the theme from Hockey Night in Canada. :)

EasyEd
October 11th, 2008, 09:10
Hey All,

Good Job Tako! :applause: Didn't know all that!

-Ed-

mike_cyul
October 11th, 2008, 09:53
Yup, we're off to get our Turkey this afternoon, right after we go pumpkin picking at a nearby farm. :)

Mike

denisch
October 12th, 2008, 07:45
I have to admit it is something I'll never get used to Thanksgiving before Halloween - weird!....
....If I'm facetious :costumes: I suspect it is wanting to beat America to the punch just like Independence Day which in Canada is July 1 - before July 4.

How does Canada expect to become the U.S.'s fifty-first state if they can't even get our holidays right!!!

srgalahad
October 12th, 2008, 10:47
To avoid the risk of upsetting people I won't start a list of things Canada does ( or has done) 'first' but since I'm nicely full of turkey from last night's dinner (scheduling conflicts forced us to be early-early) I'll just burp out a chorus of Oh Canada :canada: and wish all of my neighbours a Happy Thanksgiving

Silver Fox...
"Traditionally it also coincides quite closely with the time when Canada switches National Anthems from the well-known 'Oh Canada" to the theme from Hockey Night in Canada." And now we have a choice.. the "old" one now owned by CTV and the "new" one first aired last night :applause:

Rob

Silver Fox
October 12th, 2008, 11:19
No choice srgalahad, the CTV-owned version is the one that works. The new CBC one won't last more than a year, it sounds like the sound track of a 1970's action movie.

As for the idea of Canada becoming the 51st state... won't happen. Adding 50 new provinces to Confederation on the other hand...

Snuffy
October 12th, 2008, 12:07
Happy Holidays to our friends in the Great White North! Beauty eh! :jump: