PDA

View Full Version : gsl objects are destroyable or not?

dog1
March 13th, 2009, 06:09
i need some clarification.I set up gsl sceneries with a large number of objects such as oil drums and ships the oil drums catch fire the ships wont budge or catch fire the AAA wont fire at the enemy as well.I know that you have to tweak usiohs ships dp's etc but can someone explain to me why i have all this confusion going on in my sceneries
dog1

Shadow Wolf 07
March 13th, 2009, 06:17
GSL scenery placed ships won't sink... I can't even make them burn. I pumped 2 mk 13 torpedoes into one of the liberty ships that Maskrider placed at his new Henderson, and straffed it. This was mentioned in another thread. Hangars and other infrastructure objects can be damaged and destroyed however. I have no idea about AA guns. When placed as part of a mission, however, the infrastructure ships behave normally.

Ettico
March 13th, 2009, 06:38
It's true. Ships, vehicles, and guns placed as GSL are just eye candy. They depress frame rates but won't do anything and can't be destroyed. That's why I don't like them. In fact, I have a big job ahead of me, removing all the GSL ships from my MR Solomons scenery.

dog1
March 13th, 2009, 07:44
i should have known better long time ago.But what about AAA?why wont the japanese batteries fire at USN aircraft,in some sceneries they do others not even a shot!!!below is a hellcat over dublon with at least 8 batteries which should be firing up.

Ettico
March 13th, 2009, 09:14
I don't know, but my guess would be that CFS2 constructs missions based on what is in the mission files, and the GSL is not referenced in the mission files. CFS2 knows when a GSL [infrastructure] object has been hit, but that's as far as it goes.

For whatever reason, ships, vehicles, and guns have to be in the mission files to be involved in any fighting.

Shadow Wolf 07
March 13th, 2009, 10:01
Sooo... It seems we've found another quirk in CFS2. The lesson is: Things that would otherwise move or shoot, (ships, vehicles, planes and guns) should not be on the gsl layout for scenery, only structures and trees should be there. Movable/shooting objects should only be in a mission, laid on top of that scenery.

Ettico
March 13th, 2009, 10:54
i should have known better long time ago.But what about AAA?why wont the japanese batteries fire at USN aircraft,in some sceneries they do others not even a shot!!!below is a hellcat over dublon with at least 8 batteries which should be firing up.

If they're GSL guns, they won't fire. If they're mission guns, they will only fire if they are designated in their DP's as having a different allegiance than the plane IF there is no front line. If there is a front line, the allegiances are determined by the front line. IOW, If the plane starts the mission on the opposite side of a front line, the guns will fire at it.

Ravenna
March 13th, 2009, 16:23
dog1,
Try placing your AAA in a layout. I've found that the best way to place destroyable static ships is to add them in a mission. Having said that, When I attack the tanker in the NT Darwin scenery by Maskrider it will make a nice oil slick and burn.

dog1
March 13th, 2009, 17:17
so in conclusion what that means is getting more sofisticated.You have to determine what looks nice for a determined gsl basic scenery and i dont like them empty.i like taking off with rows of aircraft vehicles and personnel about ,its realistic and alive.after that i will add the active mission stuff including guns and moving and static destroyable ships and aircraft again in the mission.so some targets will blowup some wont because you missed or the bomb was a dudd.
dog1

Shadow Wolf 07
March 13th, 2009, 17:27
Why not stay with trees and structures only for scenery and leave the "life look" stuff to the mission builder? It sounds like you're still trying to do both in one. But it's your cake to bake as you like it... :ernae:

dog1
March 13th, 2009, 18:33
the marianas airfields and iwo is that way.From now on it'll be bare bone airfields for the public and another 2 for myself one free flight extra rich fps who cares and one set for mission building add on......what a life!!!!!

Cody Coyote
March 13th, 2009, 18:38
Shadow Wolf's correct when he says to each his own, but one option is to make more effective use of layouts.

Design your scenery using gsl buildings, trees, etc. but leave out the ships, guns, and vehicles. Then construct a layout containing all of these items. Drop the layout in and you have the same scenery with everything destroyable. You only have to create the layout once and it is a simple step to add it to any mission. You wouldn't see the layout items in Free Flight of Quick Combat but that shouldn't be a problem.

pen32win has done something like this with his recent PNG sceneries had it's one of the smartest things I've seen in quite a while.

dog1
March 13th, 2009, 19:04
"one set for mission building add on"

thats what i said,easy to adapt to as well.thanks everyone for debate
dog1