PDA

View Full Version : Masked roads for G2K

Grinseed
March 12th, 2009, 22:28
Could someone direct me to information regarding the correct method for adding masked roads to CFS2 with G2k?

Thanks Grinseed

Jean Bomber
March 13th, 2009, 10:13
Could someone direct me to information regarding the correct method for adding masked roads to CFS2 with G2k?

Thanks Grinseed

Here the SDC's site link with many info and a tutorial about the subject ,there is a G2K for cfs2 tutorial
http://combatfs.homeip.net/cfs2_tutorials.htm

JP

Grinseed
March 13th, 2009, 16:04
Thank you for your quick reply Jean.
I apologise for a badly worded question, it was late here when I wrote it.
The thing is, some time ago simonu kindly supplied me with several prepared roads, 256 bmp tiles with four seperate trails. I am applying these now to my project with great success, but I was thinking to increase the variety by creating new ones myself without imposing on simonu. I was thinking, 'how hard could it be?' lol
So far my efforts have resulted in the dreaded 'large blocks of colour'. I have copied the bmp files to the relevant places, Textures, scenedb/world/textures and to my project file texture folder. It might be my masked files are faulty but I recall from MaskRider's tute with his airfields there was a certain trick to make masked graphics work in CFS2. I have not found his his tute among my cd collection yet but I have a feeling his solution might only be applicable to large projects rather than a single file.
I'll keep trying until I crack then I guess I'll ask simonu. Thanks for your time.

Jean Bomber
March 13th, 2009, 17:19
Hi Grinseed !

you can create your own vtp1 lines,with alpha,to use in G2k Sanders explain the process to make the bmp here
http://combatfs.homeip.net/cfs2files/cfs2vtp1texturetutorial/default.htm
after that you have painted ,for example ,in hazzard :whistle:,a WWI trench.bmp , you go in your ...\Program Files\Ground2K\Ground2K\Resource you will find a OwnLines.txt

and with the explanation from the Ground2K_US.doc,that I advise fortly to read :

".....

Adding your personal line textures

At the end of the Ground2K\Resource\Ownlines.txt file, you find an example of an adding personal line.
You can add such lines; please copy the example, following the syntax, and use a sequential numbering after 4097. The corresponding texture Railwayx.bmp is in the ….\Ground2K\Resource folder.
The textures MUST be located in the ‘texture’ folder of your scenery.
8 bits and DXT1 extended formats work.
I’m not convinced with the ‘Type=’ parameter. See the SDK for more information.

For CFS2 : the 4 known line textures have been added to \Resource\Ownlines.txt file; use these textures or add your personal textures.
Ground2K follows the rules in using textures for lines (see the SDK for detailed informations).
In a nutshell :
- texture type 1 : 4 equal segments
- texture type 2 : 3 equal segments, the 4th being cut into one 128 pixel sub-segment, one 64 pixels sub-segments, 2 32 pixels sub-segments
- Texture type 3 : similar to type 2 but with 8 segments
Wave effects do not work in CFS2
......"

you add trench in the OwnLines.txt at the end after the railway,that could give

//------------------------------------------
// vRailwsu
[Texture.4097] // Railway
Type=1
Size=4
Textures=vRailwsu.bmp

// trench
[Texture.4098] // CFS2 road
Type=1
Size=4
Textures=trench.bmp

//---------------CFS2 basics--------------

[Texture.8000] // CFS2 ocean / bank / perennial
Type=2
Size=4
Textures=VShoreSU.bmp

you put the trench.bmp in the texture folder of your scenery and as usual for any new texture, in the main cfs2 texture and scenedb/world/texture.,now in g2k,this new vtp1 lines will appear in the polygone/line dialog box and you can draw vtp1 trench lines in your scenery on any relief .
you can after made different type of road curved right dirt etc...and add them in the OwnLines.txt that is better than the unique VRoadsSU.bmp
the MR's blended method needs to have a flatten ground to work it's good for an airfield or some limited area as port factory etc...

i hope that had helped ;)

JP

Grinseed
March 13th, 2009, 22:12
Bravo Jean! Thats exactly what I was after. Many thanks! And wow! how did you guess there would be trenches? :whistle:

Jean Bomber
March 14th, 2009, 11:03
Bravo Jean! Thats exactly what I was after. Many thanks! And wow! how did you guess there would be trenches? :whistle:

Hi !
No I'm not a medium :Banane18:,It's simply that if i've to start a WWI scenery in first I'll paint a trench vtp1 line texture and also a "thousand" shell crater land texture that could be used as vtp1 polygone and If I name it 135h2su1.bmp,golf texture in cfs2 ,I think they 've no time to play golf during the WWI ,isn't it ? and if I put this bmp in the texture folder of the WWI scenery I could display it as landclass all along the front line ,to give the aspect like the skin of a awful geant toad ,how had described the terrain a WWI pilot flying over the battlefield

@+
JP

Grinseed
March 14th, 2009, 17:33
Fortunately Jean, simonu has taken care of all the spade work with the trenches with his Landclass WW1 landscapes for the Western Front which are in the addon section here at this site and which have been done with a great degree of accuracy as far I have found with the British frontline sections.
I am content to deal with just mapping the roads of Flanders and Picardy to provide visual aids for pilotage to and from the airfields, just as the pilots did.
I've pinpointed the actual locations of many old fields on both sides and am maintaining historical accuracy of roads and railways and canals using the contemporary ordinance maps of the war from the McMaster University Library.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/home.htm

As a distinct measure of my geographic perversity I am enjoying this project more than flying (with any sim), which I have virtually given up in order to complete the roads.:jump: