PDA

View Full Version : 'Ask The Captain'...

Panther_99FS
March 12th, 2009, 18:25
At the top left, read the question first then read the captain's response....:icon_lol:

Edit: right-click, and open in a new window, or tab (Thanks JoeP)

tigisfat
March 12th, 2009, 19:06
I don['t think it's gonna show up.

Joe P
March 12th, 2009, 19:07
It does if you right-click, and open in a new window, or tab.

Lionheart
March 12th, 2009, 19:13
Here in Phoenix, someone from Sun City complained about a burst of engine noise from a group of F-16's at 10:AM. As it turned out, it was a honourary flyby over a funeral for a downed airman.

The Luke AFB Commander responded in person to the letter and newspaper concerning the incident.

It was the missing airman formation.

He was a bit embarrassed.

Bill

Panther_99FS
March 12th, 2009, 19:16
It does if you right-click, and open in a new window, or tab.

Thanx for the clarification Joe...:kilroy:

tigisfat
March 12th, 2009, 19:28
Got it!! thanks for the help.

As for the article,

I found it thoroughly enjoying, but I wonder if it's real. Surely no 0-6 would address someone in such a manner even if approached in such an angry manner, let alone have it published. I dunno though...

AckAck
March 12th, 2009, 19:31
Forgive me, but is it customary to salute the officer's car? or the sticker on the car? Last time I checked (metaphorically), "officer's wife" was not a rank, and did not require a salute? I'm glad to see he got some snide in there, but dang, that was a nice and reasoned response, too.

Brian

(I have to wonder if it is real, too.)

EDIT - no- it's a real publication. You can get them here: http://www.aerotechnews.com/ptmuguhueneme/pdf/

However, the Feb 26 edition of this publication has as its lead article:

New base CO to take the helm.

The NBVC Change of
Command ceremony will be
held in Hangar 34 at Pt. Mugu.
Captain James J. McHugh will
relieve Captain Brad Conners,
who is retiring from the Navy
with 27 years of service.
Kind of a last hurrah for Captain Brad Conners, eh?

Silver Fox
March 12th, 2009, 20:09
The 'Lady' wouldn't like CF bases in the 80's! Sentries were forbidden to salute! The rank of a person approaching your position was "Unknown", the rank of an identified and cleared person was "Unass My Position". Personal ID was king... a Colonel you've never seen gets stopped and the vehicle inspected for a full ID check, the Corporal you see every other day gets waved by in a rolling ID check.

Nice response from the Capt though...

Willy
March 12th, 2009, 20:22
I ran into a few officer's wives like that when I was on active duty. Kinda nice to see one put in her place.

Fibber
March 12th, 2009, 20:38
When I was a young lad and fresh from boot camp I was one day assigned security at a sensitive location. While standing at the door a gentleman walked up and tried to pass me. I stopped him and asked for his ID and I got the "don't you know who I am?" When I responded negatively and that he required ID to enter he congradulated me on doing my duty right. It turned out he was a Admiral. When he asked why I didn't then salute I simply said that he wasn't in uniform and you salute the uniform , not the person. He laughed entered.
The OD almost had a sh--fit over this but again the Admiral had agreed. Made this boot feel good.

PS; never got that boring duty again!

Toastmaker
March 13th, 2009, 04:23
My mother was an Air Force officer's wife, active in military family activities and clubs.

To her credit, she loathed wives like that one who carried a false sense of importance around like it was a lap dog.

I really hope this base commander's response is a true story.

TARPSBird
March 13th, 2009, 12:28
I thought the CO's heavy sarcasm in the first paragraph was unprofessional but the rest of his response was pretty good. I'm surprised the gripe was from a CWO's wife, assuming she was married to him when he was enlisted you wouldn't think she'd be so rank-conscious. :frown:
Used to be, whether sentries at vehicle checkpoints waved or saluted depended on the base sticker rather than the driver. That was back before 9-11. Nowadays, with 100% ID checks required, the sentry knows who rates a salute and who doesn't.

TeaSea
March 13th, 2009, 15:22
Ooohhhh.....

We assume the female in the car is NOT the service member, active duty, retired or reserve component? :faint:

For the record, I'm retired Army, but I work for the Air Force as a DAF Civilian. When I got through the gate with my CAC ID reflecting DAFC, the guard usually gives me a "okay dude" type of wave through. It doesn't bother me. As far as they know I've never served a day in the service.

However, on the multiple occasions that I leave my CAC in my PC at work and I use my retired ID to get through the gate, I always get a nice "Good Day COL", and a snappy salute, which I always return.

I've noticed that one or two of the Airmen have figured out I'm the same guy whichever ID I show and they ask me who I am today.....(I think they've also figured out that I keep forgetting my CAC).

PRB
March 13th, 2009, 16:14
... I found it thoroughly enjoying, but I wonder if it's real. Surely no 0-6 would address someone in such a manner even if approached in such an angry manner, let alone have it published. I dunno though...

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Oh yes, I have no problem believing it is real. I’ve seen a few responses like that over the years at the navy base I was on.
<o:p></o:p>
I liked the CO’s response. Perfect.

In the 1980s, when I stood those gate guard watches, it was made very very clear to us that we were to salute the car, if it had an officer’s sticker on it, even if we knew it was the LTJG’s 18 year old daughter.
<o:p></o:p>
I worked with a pilot’s wife who could have written that letter. She was amazing. One morning she came to work mad as hell, complaining about these idiots she ran into on the drive to work. She went on an on for several minutes and we soon learned she was talking about fire trucks! "They didn’t have to block the whole road, they could have let people through sooner, they were mean to her when she asked them what the hell was taking them so long…" etc., etc… She was priceless.

GT182
March 13th, 2009, 16:33
Good for the Captain. The perfect response to an uppity biatch. She deserves a salute as much I do.... none!

And to the Captain.... way to go Sir! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/sigpic336_1.gif

The only times I've ever given a salute or received one was.....
When I was in the Boy Scouts.
And when I worked for the local commuter airlines. We saluted the outgoing flight and recieved a return salute from the a/c's Captain. All for show but it was nice. Made you feel like a professional ramp rat. ;)