PDA

View Full Version : MB advice?

winslow33
March 12th, 2009, 16:55
Hello.:wave:

I have a friend who knows somebody who sells used computer parts very cheaply. Being that I'm in the market for a new motherboard (last one caught fire:faint:), it seemed like a good idea to buy a used one from him because I just need something to last until I get the funds to totaly rebuild my computer with newer drives and cards and such. But I've never bought a new motherboard and have no idea what I need to know so I don't end up with total garbage. I've replaced them before with one a friend gave me for free, but I've never bought one and had care about what it could and couldn't do... what I need it for is this: Fast enough to surf Hi-Speed internet, and hopefuly play games like Combat Flight Simulator 3, but that isnt totaly necesarry if it comes down to it.

I've tried to read up on it on the web, but most of the articles I read were only confusing me more...

I was wondering if somebody here could let me in on the basics so I dont get something that isn't going to suit my needs. Thanks in advance.

stansdds
March 13th, 2009, 02:47
First, what CPU and graphics card(s) will you be using?

winslow33
March 13th, 2009, 04:20
Sadly, I have no idea. I don't have any of those anymore that work. I was hoping to get them thrown in with the motherboard when I buy it..

Oh, I forgot to mention about the RAM. I dont want to use the stuff I already have because it's old PC100 stuff that's so slow Windows XP doesnt even like running on it! (256MB with both sticks:faint:)