PDA

View Full Version : new guy really needs help

crazeeotter
March 12th, 2009, 16:19
I'm absolutely completely new to CFS. I've been flying FS 5.1 and 98 for years, and I recently acquired a copy of Combat Flight Simulator. Of course, I got the hang of it but now it's boring. I'd like to play against other people. Little help?
~THANKS

smilo
March 12th, 2009, 18:41
welllll, I think we might be able to help.
first, you will need a headset and microphone.
then, you will need to download and install TeamSpeak2 client.
get it here, http://www.goteamspeak.com/?page=downloads (http://www.goteamspeak.com/?page=downloads)
let us know when you get that part done and we'll move on to the next steps.

minuteman10
March 12th, 2009, 18:49
~S~ Crazee.....Here is a link that will give you the info that you need for Multiplayer...
http://www.freewebs.com/alliedaircorps/essentialfiles.htm

The 1st one to install is TeamSpeak...this is our basic Comms program. You will need a headset with a mic (around $30). Once you get that installed it will be much easier to talk you through the setup. There are a great bunch around here that will be happy to help. We play every Sunday at the AAC. The 45th Squadron plays on Tues and Thurs evenings. We join eachother by I.P. games. Once you get TS up and running, drop by the AAC Teamspeak. There are usually some of us puttering around. Let us know when we can be of assistance.
You will be shocked by the number and quality of addons in both aircraft and scenery. CFS is very stable and pretty easy on the system...I think that you'll really enjoy it. Multiplayer brings out the best in the game...nothing like flying against your P.C....:welcome: ~S~ MM

Skyferret
March 13th, 2009, 00:06
Finally. A relative of mine, my cousin the Otter. Welcome to the funny farm.

FS 5.1?!?!? Yeah, me too. I remember my first navigated flight from Chicago to Toronto at night using my 486 Presario with a rip snortin', bang smackin', blazing 150 scorching Mhz. Oh how I miss those pixels that were big enough to park one of those polygonal 737's on.

By the way, you have FS98? Did you ever try, say perhaps dog fights over New York with an armed Leer Jet?

~Sky~

crazeeotter
March 13th, 2009, 13:40
I'll try to pick up a headset this weekend. Thanks.

*Sky*- Armed Leer Jets over New York? I'm intrigued.

Skyferret
March 14th, 2009, 00:36
Otter: Before I entered Cyberspace, I would entertain myself with file swapping. FS98 & CFS1 are compatible. You can take files (scenery & aircraft) from FS98 and put them in CFS1. It just doesn't seem to work the other way around.

For starters, open the aircraft folder in FS98. Pick the Leer Jet folder or even the Cessna 182 folder. Copy one of them. Go to the Aircraft Folder in CFS1 and open it. Paste that folder with the other aircraft folders such as the Spitfires and P-51. It should say "this file already exists, do you wish to overwrite." Click on Okay. Close everything and start CFS1 and go to free flight. When you choose an aircraft, you should discover one of these new planes in the menu. It automatically attaches damage profile to the plane. And oh yes, guns, rockets and bombs.

As for scenery, it's a little more work but not a lot once you know what to do. I'm not long winded enough to go into detail, and, it's been a while since I've done it. I think if you look in the help files in CFS1, and type in "flight simulator 98" in the index, you should find something. In a nut shell, it's kinda like this: Copy a certain file and paste in the correct folder in CFS1, start the game, go to scenery library, choose "FS virtual world" or something like that and it will then ask for the FS98 CD. Away you go.

By the way. I think Microsoft left an Easter Egg in this game (CFS1) for the adventurous. In case you haven't noticed, open the missions folder and look for 2 files with incorrect file extensions. Correct them so that they are .mis and start the game. You should have 2 new missions called "Camel Caravan" and "Combat Flight Sim Team Outing." Have fun.

~Sky~

_486_Col_Wolf
March 24th, 2009, 13:01
~S~ Otter and all others nterested in flying CFS 1 online again. A new server is now online called reverbgaming.com. CFS 1&2 as well as many other multiplayer games is now available. go to www.reverbgaming.com (http://www.reverbgaming.com) to register, install thier software, log on and you'll be joining us in the skies over Europe once again.

~S~ _486_Col_Wolf
CO 486th Fighter Squadron

Pratt&Whitney
March 24th, 2009, 19:20
By the way. I think Microsoft left an Easter Egg in this game (CFS1) for the adventurous. In case you haven't noticed, open the missions folder and look for 2 files with incorrect file extensions. Correct them so that they are .mis and start the game. You should have 2 new missions called "Camel Caravan" and "Combat Flight Sim Team Outing." Have fun.

~Sky~

Yessir... Camel Caravan happens to be one of my favorite missions. Just try fighting those Sopwiths with anything other than a Camel. I think the Hawker Hurricane was about the only one I had much luck with.