PDA

View Full Version : Dang Blasted AI Behavior

OBIO
October 11th, 2008, 06:14
I am putting the wraps, or attempting to anyhow, on the conversion of the Alpha Sim Supermarine Swift FR5, a super sharp 1950s era British single seat, single engine jet fighter. Very very sharp plane. Got it flying sweet as can be, have the 2D and VC panels regauged, have the 2 20 mil canon in place, harmonized at 900 feet and aligned with the 2D gun site and centered in the VC gun site glass (no actual site, just the glass where one would be if there would be one there..what did I just say?!?!?)

Anyhow...attempting to get the plane to work as an AI somewhat. So, I decide to cheat and copy the MOI info from the Fox Four Mig-15...which has the best AI behavior I have ever seen in a CFS2 plane. Those 15s will shoot you down in a heart beat if they are your enemy, and will clear the sky of the bogies if they are your wingmen.

Once I did that....the Swift developed a serious case of the shimmies and shakes. So, I dumped the air and config files and started over with a fresh set from the unconverted plane.

Not sure that I will actually get the plane to work as an AI...but I have gotten it to work in CFS2....that's something at least.

OBIO

OBIO
October 11th, 2008, 06:28
The shimmy only happens in 2D view. VC view the planes stays as smooth as silk. But in 2D view, the plane shimmies like crazy! What gives?

I added the render 3D line to the main window and adjusted the forward direction view like to get the bullet stream and the gun site to line up. Would either of those be the cause of the shimmy in 2D view?

OBIO

bearcat241
October 11th, 2008, 07:36
Did you adjust the MOI settings in the air file also, or just the cfg?

OBIO
October 11th, 2008, 07:50
It was the MOI setting changes I did in the air file. Set them back to the stock settings and the player Swift is as solid as a rock in flight (well, solid as a rock that can fly that is, as opposed to a rock that sinks). I will go back in and change the MOI settings in the config file (and not the air file) to get the AI to behave a bit.

OBIO

bearcat241
October 11th, 2008, 10:00
For hotter AI performance you can also experiment with the effectiveness of the control surfaces in the Flight Tuning section of the cfg. I generally start my adjustments at 1.50 and go up from there. For rudder i use 8.00 or more. CFS2 doesn't have the sophisticated flight modeling of FS9 and you can easily lose realistic in-flight rudder input even at low speeds. Hammerheads, slips, and skidding maneuvers become unrealistically difficult to execute in combat without heavy rudder tweaking.

[flight_tuning]
cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0
parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0
induced_drag_scalar = 1.0
elevator_effectiveness = 1.5
aileron_effectiveness = 1.5
rudder_effectiveness = 8.0
pitch_stability = 1.0
roll_stability = 1.0
yaw_stability = 1.0
elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.5
aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.5
rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.5

OBIO
October 11th, 2008, 11:02
Thanks for the tip, Bearcat. Have made the adjustments to the config file (after making a back up of the original). Will have to give the AI a test now.

OBIO