PDA

View Full Version : Had my first lesson today!

SirBenn21
March 12th, 2009, 05:08
I've been waiting for years to do this.
About ten years ago I did a bit of gliding, but I always wanted to do my PPL.
So I finially went for my first lesson today. Weather was not the best, but it was great. :woot:

Dimus
March 12th, 2009, 05:33
Hey, that is great SirBenn21!!!:applause::welcome:

Ain't this the greatest of feelings? I was exactly like you when I started my course. Years of simming, followed by about 10 hours on gliders and left wit a bitterness of being rejected from the air force due to a slight shortsight issue. I am now on abt 25 hours with 5 solos already and it feels great. I do not have too much time unfortunately and it takes too long but I'm determined to get through with this. I am also very fortunate to have my wife's full support and encouragement.

Wait till you get to your first solo! The feeling of accomplishment is beyond description.

And mind you, FSX practice really helps if you have good quality controls, a good payware product of the plane you fly and you follow the real checklist to the letter. However, there are instructors out there that will tell you to avoid sims. This is just because they just have not taken the time to see the level of realism that sims like FSX have reached over the years. My instructor told me when we first did tight turns and stalls: "Have you done this before?!" I just attributed it to my glider experience. I've never spoken to him about simming as I get the feeling he will not support it. This does not take anything from the fact that he is one of the best I've met and consider myself lucky.

There, I should stop talking now! Good luck with the course. You will always look up from now on!:rapture:

MCDesigns
March 12th, 2009, 05:51
Congrats, although I would rather be flying the AS350 in the background, LOL.

I have had so many "first" lessons, LOL. The cost, short and long term is what keeps me from getting my PPL.

Bone
March 12th, 2009, 06:06
Congrats on that! Whatever you do, don't give it up until you've done your first solo. :woot:

harleyman
March 12th, 2009, 06:28
Very cool.....I have a friend that owns a 172(have lost touch over the years) but I could go fly with him anytime we wanted..He loved to fly,and I just had to say the word, pay half the fuel, and off we went...

I have no liscense..but I did it all except land..i was skerd..I almost did once though..But I chickened out......LOL

The feeling of lift off was amazing, and free flight undescribable......

He was a crop duster and certified trainer and airframe mech..It was an awsome time in my life.....:wiggle:

I am enevious of you now......LOL

JIMJAM
March 12th, 2009, 06:48
I got my PP when I was 18 in 1981. I was a linemen at a fbo here in Columbia SC and flew for free. Alot of old timers with planes were always glad to take up a young man like me with ambition. It didnt hurt that I washed their planes and gave them the vip treatment either.
Back then a 150 or 152 went for $20 a hour wet. A nice 172 ifr was $30-$35 wet a hour.
I stayed in aviation while I went to school and flew and all my ratings up to getting my ATP was less than 10 grand.
I got my helicopter commercial rating in a Hughes 300 which was $130 a hour.
I still go up once in a while and was shocked to see the pricing today.
If anyone is considering getting into aviation, try getting a job, even part time at a FBO. You will run into alot of opportunities to catch and free ride and befreind others with planes.
Keep at it and dont let too much time pass betreen lessons. Fly and fly often. Good luck and safe flying.

harleyman
March 12th, 2009, 07:14
You Da Man JimJam....:applause:

Boomer
March 12th, 2009, 08:09
Congrats!

Keep at it & get that PPL! Its one of those things that you will be proud of the rest of your days.

Best part is bragging rights. I havent logged a single hour in years but I can still say "Yeah, I'm a pilot". :wiggle:

Reminds me of an old joke.
Q: How do you know a pilot is in the room?
A: He will tell you.:friday:

JIMJAM
March 12th, 2009, 09:49
Actually when you practically live at the airport seems everyone IS a pilot.The receptionsist,vending machine guy,janitor.
A job will pop up for a line/freight pilot and dozens of pilots show up.From 22 yr old Emery grads that just started shaving with 8000 hrs to retired military fighter jocks all fighting for a 3 hr a night run in a old 402 or Commander.
Ive been out of the biz now for 3 yrs but do not think it gotten any better.
As much as these planes rent for, its better in the long run to either buy one,join a club or go in with a few others and split up the cost. Resale has always been good on a well maintained plane regardless of the year.

mustang51
March 12th, 2009, 09:52
You know about the SPL don't you? I have a PPL but the type of flying I would do now just fly under those rules.
Bob

MudMarine
March 12th, 2009, 11:13
It's awesome to see someone fufilling a dream!!:applause:

Dexdoggy
March 12th, 2009, 14:35
Excellent news and congrats on starting! Just remember you can't reset that sim after a bad landing!