PDA

View Full Version : Strange computer behavior

jmig
March 12th, 2009, 03:52
No, I don't mean FSX is working perfectly. I am having very slow program installation times.

After having FSX problems, as described in another thread, I decided to start over by reformatting and installing. The only change I made was replace an 80G SATA OS drive with a 640G SATA that I now have OS and FSX on together.

However, I noticed when installing FSX and Acceleration, as well as FSGenesis V2 that it takes forever. Everything seems to work, it just takes hours to install a program that should take 15 minutes or less.

I set the BIOS to "optimized" and ran one of these test programs. Everything seems to be working normal. I thought it might be the DVD drive. Howeve, because of the "workaround" I did, I had to copy the Acceleration DVD to a hard drive and install from there. That too took a long time to install.

Any ideas?

harleyman
March 12th, 2009, 04:32
Try going into your bios and have it *recognize All Drives* again...May help

It acts like its a controller issue....You also might try to reinstall the sata drivers again from your mobo's manufacturers website...

This is better placed in the FSX forums too..Not the NewsHawks...

Lionheart
March 12th, 2009, 09:54
Hey John,

Just a theory, but I think your CD drive is going...

This happened with me.

Try taking a long Q-tip and cleaning the laser reader inside the unit. It could be dirty.

EDIT: Also, if you have a anti-virus program called 'program protector', it runs a shadow of the same program(s) running to ensure its not running a virus or doesnt activate one. Its crazy on how much ram it takes and also slows the computer down immensely. I would turn it off if that is what it is..

Bill

FengZ
March 12th, 2009, 10:46
go to device manager(control panel/system/Hardware/Device Manager), and check the Harddrive controllers. Under the advanced setting, make sure you have Ultra DMA Mode 4/5, etc select (sorry, my SATA drive is 2 years old, so im not sure what new mode they have now).

Btw, are you using FAT32 or NTFS format for the harddrive? Either is fine, and there's arguments on both sides. I tend to use NTFS.

Also, just to be super safe, check to make sure that the SATA cable is firmly in place on both the harddrive and on the motherboard.

And one last check is your virus scanner. If you have any, try turning them off and see what happens.

-feng

GT182
March 12th, 2009, 10:55
Just a reminder that if you shut down you antivirus program to shut down access to the internet too. I don't want you to ferget. ;)

harleyman
March 12th, 2009, 11:07
Like this....Make sure none have a red X or Yellow exclimation

Gdavis101
March 12th, 2009, 13:11
I had that same issue with my MSI Neo F motherboard and it turned out to be a problem with the board itself. I bought an external USB DVD drive and that problem went away. X-Plane 9 took me 12 hours to install, no joke!