PDA

View Full Version : OT: What I've realised

Nick C
March 11th, 2009, 07:01
I've just realised that over the years FS and forums have made me increasingly cynical and less tolerant...or is that just a natural side effect of growing old? ;)

harleyman
March 11th, 2009, 07:07
Im think its aproduct of age and then you get comfitable at a sight and tire quickly of the same ol same ol ....That leads to being intorilable IMO....:ernae:

Henry
March 11th, 2009, 07:10
Ah shut up its not age:costumes:
whatever makes you think that
LOL
H

JIMJAM
March 11th, 2009, 07:17
You need to step away from it and do something else.
I bought a PS3,hit the power button and enjoy and good game.
No worries about crashing,since you cannot change or dig around into the system files you just enjoy the game.
You can concentrate on the gameplay and not endlessly chasing that perfect setup.
When I have 20 guys all trying to kill me as I run through a burning building,I do not stop and stare at a fence that is really jaggy and go, hmmmmm,if only they would have added some aa to that it would look better.
Spending hours and hours with FSX trying to eliminate the trees shimmering, some blurries,staring at the fps. Thats not enjoyment. Took me YEARS to figure out that the sim was about flying,enjoying it and not trying to achieve the holy grail setup.
So step back and forget FSX.
But YES, there is a reason why older people are cranky. Also with the sheer number of people now online and its easy access, the number of asses has increased dramatically.

6297J
March 11th, 2009, 07:24
It is the simple coincidence of you growing old and everyone else growing stupid.
Happens to us all.

CodyValkyrie
March 11th, 2009, 07:27
Nick, I don't think it is the age. I become more and more intolerable every day when it comes to this stuff. I try to be diplomatic, but I am certainly not the best at it. Like anything else, the more you do it, the more you realize the intricate failures or let downs of the product and the people.

Of course, a very heavy workload REALLY doesn't help.

michael davies
March 11th, 2009, 07:34
Its not age, its just an inane amount of time in the same environment I'm afraid, doesn't matter if its FS, work or home, if you spend too much time in one place you become itchy.

Since I backed off from intense FS work I've never felt better and have actually gone back to some of my old hobbies.

Diversity is the name of the game, too much of one thing, especially if its an intense interest is bad for your health.

Kindest

Michael

CG_1976
March 11th, 2009, 07:40
To stay sane and calm in the Sim world I rotate from Fs9 to FSX and over to X-plane. As to cynical and less tolerant I follow my gramps advice in one ear and out the other if I dont like what i see or hear.

Boomer
March 11th, 2009, 07:55
I actually believe it is an age thing.
While its true that familiarity breeds contempt I have found as I age that I am far less tolerant of petty BS & stupidity.

Dont get me wrong when it comes to stupid people. I don't mean ignorant. Ignorance can be educated but you cant fix stupid!

Bjoern
March 11th, 2009, 08:24
Over the years in the sim community, I learned to think twice about what I say and consider the other side's point of view and/or feelings.

Annoys the living hell out of me, but seems to work so far.

Bone
March 11th, 2009, 08:48
Interesting. I've been feeling this exact same way, except in the inverse. I've grown cynical and intolerant in other aspects of my life, so I've been using flight sim to sort of get away from it all.

SpaceWeevil
March 11th, 2009, 08:54
Over the years in the sim community, I learned to think twice about what I say and consider the other side's point of view and/or feelings.

Annoys the living hell out of me, but seems to work so far.

Amen to that, it's just too easy to misinterpret a careless post and get all fired up. The emoticons help keep things a bit clearer, but they're no substitute for a read through and a think. Confucius say cut once, but measure twice before you do.

gajit
March 11th, 2009, 08:56
Its because there are more people now so there are more views - and also yoiu would expect FSX products now to be better produced but the same old errors and mistakes keep appearing so it gets tiresome.

I had a break of 5 days from FSX with the new Empire Total War, flying the choppers in Armed Assult and also sinking ships in silent hunter 4 and JimJam is right - they are so smooth and uncomplicated and you know the boundaries.

Cazzie
March 11th, 2009, 09:06
Here's my view!

I5HjDjlnXXs&feature

Caz :wavey:

abrussell
March 11th, 2009, 09:11
It must be an age thing. As each year passes I find that I suffer fools less gladly. And there seems to be more of them.
Bruce

Nick C
March 11th, 2009, 09:17
This was seriously a tongue in cheek post, I'm certainly far from the edge ;)

I was talking with my brother a couple of weeks back, as part of a training course, he was asked to describe an object to a work colleague who had a pencil and a pad. Without naming the object, he had to describe it in such a manner that his colleague could draw an exact replica of the item. My brother told me that after he watched the video back, all he learnt was that he was completely intolerant of stupid people...something I would have told him for free :d

Cazzie
March 11th, 2009, 09:21
This was seriously a tongue in cheek post, I'm certainly far from the edge ;)

I was talking with my brother a couple of weeks back, as part of a training course, he was asked to describe an object to a work colleague who had a pencil and a pad. Without naming the object, he had to describe it in such a manner that his colleague could draw an exact replica of the item. My brother told me that after he watched the video back, all he learnt was that he was completely intolerant of stupid people...something I would have told him for free :d

And I thought I was the only one! :costumes:

But we must think of it in the words of Mark Twain: "Were it not for fools, the rest of us would be unemployed!"

Works the same way no matter who one might think the fools are.

Caz

gajit
March 11th, 2009, 09:23
Question - are the stupid people we know tolerant of us well thought of individuals?

Nick C
March 11th, 2009, 09:33
There's the million dollar question :costumes:

gajit
March 11th, 2009, 09:35
nah - cant be as they are stupid

noddy
March 11th, 2009, 09:37
Who you calling stupid :kiss:

Odie
March 11th, 2009, 09:51
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem. :focus:

Snuffy
March 11th, 2009, 10:02
I use to say ... "When I was a lad I couldn't believe how stupid my old man was. Now that I've gained a few years, I'm quite surpised at how quickly he got smart!"

:wavey:

Bjoern
March 11th, 2009, 12:20
By the way, how do you guys measure stupidity on the internet?

By spelling, grammar and use of smileys? Or by the quality of the content?

6297J
March 11th, 2009, 12:37

Usually the age of the OP is enough of a warning :caked:

stiz
March 11th, 2009, 13:04

well first i look at if they vist simouthouse or not first :173go1: .. o wait .. dam :caked:

:costumes:

Kiwikat
March 11th, 2009, 13:43
well first i look at if they vist simouthouse or not first

LOL :ernae:

HundertzehnGustav
March 11th, 2009, 13:51
Im think its aproduct of age and then you get comfitable at a sight and tire quickly of the same ol same ol ....That leads to being intorilable IMO....:ernae:
+1000

see that IRL too.
Being told stories over and over... because the other person forgot she told me that story already - a thousand times before.

STFU beeach.

harleyman
March 11th, 2009, 14:40
+1000

see that IRL too.
Being told stories over and over... because the other person forgot she told me that story already - a thousand times before.

STFU beeach.

LOL Do you know my wife? :faint:

HundertzehnGustav
March 11th, 2009, 14:48
no comment?

:woot::focus:

Bjoern
March 11th, 2009, 15:43
Usually the age of the OP is enough of a warning :caked:

And if there's no age stated? ;)

MudMarine
March 11th, 2009, 16:15
Hey Nick it's all good! Just have a good laugh because we'll all be dead soon enough!:engel016:

harleyman
March 11th, 2009, 16:36
Hey Nick it's all good! Just have a good laugh because we'll all be dead soon enough!:engel016:

Not me...I gots lots left to do before I go.....

grunau_baby
March 11th, 2009, 22:15
And if there's no age stated? ;)Silly questions are a great indicator:173go1:

If I look at myself I must say at young age I was indeed very very cynical and intolerant, the only thing that actually changed is I now believe I became much more tolerant and friendly with growing age and experience. Copletely cool and tolerant now, but why am I bothering with this stupid thread...aaarggghh...wasting my time....:costumes:

Regards
Alex
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

kilo delta
March 12th, 2009, 01:44
I've become desensitised to cynacism and stupidity by having worked with morons for most of my life!:gossip::costumes:

Bjoern
March 12th, 2009, 03:24
Silly questions are a great indicator:173go1:<!-- sig -->

Seen that coming...

Touché, Alex....touché.

:costumes:

grunau_baby
March 12th, 2009, 05:18
Seen that coming...

Touché, Alex....touché.
Silly answers like mine here aren´t that bad a sign either:d

Lionheart
March 12th, 2009, 10:15
'State of mind.....'

One can be happy.. One can see the good things in life, see the good in a post..

And one can be angry, upset, short on patience, see the bad things in a post..

There are times when life seems to drag a person down. Perhaps Nick you're just going through a point in life when things appear negative.. It has with me many times, then shortly later, things are back to normal....

:rapture: 'Mr. O'Brian, now would be a good time'

Bill

Henry
March 12th, 2009, 10:22

I resemble that remark :argue:
sometimes with age come wisdom
sometimes intolerance
sometimes memory loss
sometimes What the hill did i mean:faint:
ah shoot ya all banned:woot:
LOL
H

Odie
March 12th, 2009, 10:45
sometimes with age come wisdom
sometimes intolerance
sometimes memory loss
sometimes What the hill did i mean:faint:
ah shoot ya all banned:woot:
LOL
H

Henry's right....when it doubt...ban everybody !!! :jump:

Hey, wait a minute....I think that includes ME !!! :faint:

MudMarine
March 12th, 2009, 11:09
Not me...I gots lots left to do before I go.....
Who doesn't? As I get older time seems to travel much faster, hence, we don't really have much time left. We should spend it (time) like the valuable commodity that it is!;)

Nick C
March 12th, 2009, 12:15
Who doesn't? As I get older time seems to travel much faster, hence, we don't really have much time left. We should spend it (time) like the valuable commodity that it is!;)

Just by posting here, are we not in fact wasting our valuable time, or is SOH the exception to the rule?:d

Odie
March 12th, 2009, 13:39
Just by posting here, are we not in fact wasting our valuable time, or is SOH the exception to the rule?:d

Actually, Nick, SOH exists in the middle of a temporal rift (generously left-over from many episodes of Star Trek:TNG) so time is actually suspended while here! The meter stops when you enter! :mixedsmi:

Bjoern
March 13th, 2009, 09:01

What remark? :whistle: :costumes: