PDA

View Full Version : Runway start Position

bub
March 10th, 2009, 14:37
Hi All,

I forget. Is there a way to change which end of a runway or just change the position you take off from? And, if so, how?

Thanks,
Bub

Shadow Wolf 07
March 10th, 2009, 15:16
For taking off from the other end, I'm not 100% sure, but if you open the airbases.dat file, found in your CFS2 Info folder, scroll down to the airfield in question. Add 180 (or subtract 180 if the heading is greater than 180 degrees) ti the heading = highlighted in blue.

To change start position on the runway, make the takeoff_start_pos= (highlighted in red) number a higher value. eg -450 or -400

[runway.160]
id=8087
name=Dogura
base_lat=S10 05.52
base_lon=E150 05.41
base_alt=0
heading=110
allegiance=0
units_across=2
takeoff_start_pos=-500,0
takeoff_stop_pos=1600,200
landing_start_pos=5000,350
landing_touchdown_pos=350,0
landing_stop_pos=-250,0

This would be a permanent change.

For a specific mission, Get Cody Coyote's Takeoff Tutorial http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=2554 for instructions on how to launch a mission from anywhere.

Cody Coyote
March 10th, 2009, 15:25
That depends.

In Free Flight the starting position is determined by the runway's bgl file and the data entered by the designer. While not impossible to modify it is not something easily done.

In missions the starting position is defines in the mission's mis file. You can open this file with Notepad and scroll down to proper runway entry, usually [Runway.0] but not always. The line that is most important is:

takeoff_start_pos=-100,0

To adjust the takeoff point on the existing runway work with the takeoff_start_pos= section. A positive number represents the distance forward of the starting point as defined by the designer. A negative number represents the distance back from the starting point. This "starting point" is usually the center of the runway as with the stock airfields but not always. Some designers set the starting position at one end or the other. In the example above the starting position is 100 (feet, meters, yards depending on who you talk to) behind the starting point.

Here's the thing to remember. To give yourself a longer runway make the negative number larger (-200 above). To shorten your runway decrease this number (-50) above. If you are starting just off the end of the runway and the entry is -400, try changing it to -350 and start again.

Remember, any changes you make this way will apply only to this one mission. To change the starting point permanently open the airbase.dat file in the INFO folder and find the runway there. Make the changes described above and all subsequent missions will start at the new point. Existing missions will still start at the old location and must each be changed individually.

Cody Coyote
March 10th, 2009, 15:26
Shadow Wolf 07 you just type too darn fast for me to keep up. :wave:

Shadow Wolf 07
March 10th, 2009, 16:57
Sorry :typing:

bub
March 10th, 2009, 18:24
Thanks guys,

I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Bub

bobhegf
March 10th, 2009, 20:18
Fellows I give up I really do.I have posted a fix for the airbase data file about 10 times over the past few years and to date no one has picked up on it and used it but me.The way I have it done you can put the X where you want it and get the planes to land and takeoff in the same direction.Not only that they will land on or with in about 5FT of the X everytime.The only problem has been the P38 AI which lands where it wants to.The bombers are a problem all but the B25 and B24 accept for there long runout.Add on aircraft can be a problem but most all the single engine AI aircraft do from Good to OK.This was a problem when I used the stock airbase .data file so nothing has changed there.Here is a pic of the airbase data file fixed . Take a look at it and you tell me what I did to correct the mistakes MS made.:typing: