PDA

View Full Version : Modelers should jump on this...

Starspeeder_3000
October 10th, 2008, 22:28
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=560
Check out the available Gmax models! Just a few tweaks and they can easily be made CFS3 compatible!:d:applause:

Pat Pattle
October 10th, 2008, 22:40
Cheers for the pointer! The JU88 looks very good.

ronnybengt
October 11th, 2008, 03:13
the fw looks tempting...

do u need gmax program and what else??

R

ndicki
October 11th, 2008, 04:51
It'd be nice if it were that easy. Try asking Craig about converting existing models - stand well back when you do!

NachtPiloten
October 11th, 2008, 05:33
It took me 5 minutes to convert the Ju88 to a 3ds model and open in max. Nice model needs some detailing but there are some very nice parts in the model. If the others can be converted that quickly, making AI's is snap!

Well here is a pick of the 190 in 4.2 max. It took less than 2 minutes to convert. The models need work, but they are first rate.

ronnybengt
October 11th, 2008, 06:22
i d love to do a new fw 190....

do you need g max..on the same mashine as cfs 3...to be able to do a/c??
@ nacht...what software are u using????...if turbo squid....do u ahve to have quake ????
R

NachtPiloten
October 11th, 2008, 06:49
All you need is gmax version 1.2 from turbo squid, a lot a patience, time, more alcohol, and a good artistic sense.

Starspeeder_3000
October 11th, 2008, 06:58
I was personally looking at the MiG-21, I know several people here who would love that one. And yes ndicki (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php?u=8059) is right, it's not as simple as just "a few tweaks" to get them into CFS3, I was exaggerating. My point is just that there are some models available that people might like to convert to CFS3.

Not all are Gmax models, some are FSDS source models which require you to convert them to .3ds format and then import them into Gmax. I don't think this is very hard personally, I use a program called CVA Converter.

Please be aware that the models will be taken down after a few days so get them while they're hot!!!

ronnybengt
October 11th, 2008, 08:18
got the g max .....hehe...into the void...a lotta buttons n switches...hehe

R

viso
October 11th, 2008, 09:00
It'd be nice if it were that easy. Try asking Craig about converting existing models - stand well back when you do!Yes, I have converted and finished a number of orphans and I can verify that it is rarely a simple task. I've adopted my last orphan, that's for sure. The conversion itself is easy enough. It's finishing the model which is the problem. This is because:

- Few modelers build proper LODs
- The texture mapping is a mess and usually has to be redone
- None of them have virtual cockpits to speak of
- A host of other modeling "sins" invariably need to be fixed

If you want to build a particular aircraft for CFS3 (leaving aside the virtual cockpit), I think you should just build a quick version yourself in gmax. You'll learn more, have some fun, and it can be a very rewarding experience. Aspiring gmaxers can check out my tutorials for a cradle-to-grave (or bitmap-to-boom n' zoom) tour of the process.

ronnybengt
October 11th, 2008, 09:40
:d.......

R

ndicki
October 11th, 2008, 10:05
I have a wonderful line in teapots and flying saucers, but other than that, I'm not very much use in GMAX. Good thing I can paint instead! It strikes me that only a very select few are able to do both... :mixedsmi:

Firebar
October 11th, 2008, 10:43
I was personally looking at the MiG-21

I've got the MiG into CFS3 in a rough kind of way, however there are some issues with part naming etc (I still cant get the langing gear to work - although it has just occured that i havent moved the keyframes)

hairyspin
October 11th, 2008, 10:48
How about using some for mapping and skinning practice? I've only one (unfinished) model to my repertoire so far, so a bunch of different models to practice on seems like a good thing to me. Got all the gmax models; thank you Starspeeder for the heads up! :applause:

Welcome to the madhouse, ronny.....:isadizzy: :banghead: :mix-smi:

ronnybengt
October 12th, 2008, 05:49
..tnx ....i am insane anyway...:costumes:

R

Mark Rude
October 12th, 2008, 08:38
It took me 5 minutes to convert the Ju88 to a 3ds model and open in max. Nice model needs some detailing but there are some very nice parts in the model. If the others can be converted that quickly, making AI's is snap!

Well here is a pick of the 190 in 4.2 max. It took less than 2 minutes to convert. The models need work, but they are first rate.

Okay no one else is going to ask then I will, How did you get a 3ds file out of gmax??

ronnybengt
October 12th, 2008, 10:48
good one.:applause:..i ve been wonderin that tooo...
hey ho g max here we goooo
R

hairyspin
October 12th, 2008, 12:15
(AFAIK) Export to FS8 or 9 using makemdl, but use mdlcommander to intercept the intermediate (.x ?) file. Use third-party software like 3dexploration to convert the intermediate file to .3ds and import that directly into Max. Never tried it myself, I don't use Max, but reports say you will still have to do a bit of work on the result to have a usable model.

There's been a bit of discussion about this lately, but I don't remember where....

Mark Rude
October 12th, 2008, 12:44
He says he converted it to a 3ds file. That's the part I was curious about.And by the way why doesn't 3dexploration accept gmax files? How many times do I have to email them to get a plugin? LOL

ronnybengt
October 12th, 2008, 13:20
mark..is 3d exploration a similar program for modeling objects ingames???
edit...found a script that can translate 3dmodels into gmax
R

NachtPiloten
October 12th, 2008, 14:32
Hairy has it right. You put a few plugins into gmax, export as mdl, compile as an x file, import into 3dexploration, save as 3ds, then import into max! I have found that there is a file size limit and you do lose animations, some hierarchy, but you keep all your mapping.

You have to rename some parts, redo animation, recreate the hierarchy and you are good to go. It is nice to be able to do this if you want to use your models in other games.:kilroy:

There is a plugin for max 8 and 9 that imports xfiles directly.

seacondor
October 12th, 2008, 18:24
Ted,
Where do you get these plugins? I'm more than keen to get hold of them so I can use my max9 to multimodel some existing projects.
Partically the Xfile plugin for Max9
How do you compile as an Xfile?

Starspeeder_3000
October 12th, 2008, 20:26
The makemdl tool comes with the FS2004 modeling SDK: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/d/e/4de1e425-c932-4232-829b-eeb7f2658885/fs2004_sdk_gmax_setup.exe
You have to set it up to export to a .x (DirectX) model file. This link may help you: http://www.3drad.com/forum/index.php?topic=577.0

seacondor
October 13th, 2008, 12:18
I still can't find the Xfile import pluggin for Max9 can any one point me in the right direction.

hairyspin
October 13th, 2008, 14:19
www.maxplugins.de (http://www.maxplugins.de) ? I must get out more.....

NachtPiloten
October 14th, 2008, 04:24
I have run into problems regarding files size. Greg, let me know what you experience. BTW where is the 290?????

Starspeeder_3000
October 14th, 2008, 08:54
I have run into problems regarding files size. Greg, let me know what you experience. BTW where is the 290?????
What exactly do you mean by "problems with file sizes"?

I do not import .x files directly, I convert them to .3ds with a 3rd party program, usually Deep Exploration or 3D Object Converter.

hairyspin
December 22nd, 2008, 22:33
I've been having some fun with a trial version of Max (from Autodesk - 30 days and it'll turn its toes up, 18 to go!) and got the Xporter plug-in from maxplugins.de to import the .X file directly.
This seems to work, apart from the model being rotated nose-up and mirrored left to right. The rotation can be cured with setting a 90deg rotation on import and unlike gmax, the mirror button in Max works correctly - select all and mirror, job done! :d:

The big headache seemed to be the animations which were all compressed down to frames 0 to 1, but I've just discovered that this does not mean only the first and last keyframes are retained. If you use the Key Mode Toggle, you'll find they're still all there and you can step through them as before and then move them back to their original positions.

It's much more stable than gmax, has lots more tools and options and I now have a serious problem...........

All contributions gratefully received!

NachtPiloten
December 23rd, 2008, 06:14
mark..is 3d exploration a similar program for modeling objects ingames???
edit...found a script that can translate 3dmodels into gmax
R

Gmax has always been able to import 3ds. The trick is going from gmax to max! You need to export the gmax file to an x file, then import the x file into 3d exploration. Save it as a 3ds then import into whatever version of max you have. That's all it takes!!! Well not exactly since you need to install a few plug ins in gmax. learn how to save an xfile with materials (all animation is gone) rename all the parts once it is in max and then you can go ahead. I have the 190 and Ju88 done if you want them let me know.

Foute Man
December 23rd, 2008, 07:34
There are several tools that enable you to import ancient models into gmax.

I've used the Universal Model Creator and Converter to extract x files or dxf files from FSDS and FSDS 2 based models.

There are also tools that allow you to create dxf files directly from the FSDS and FSDS 2 models, named mdl2dxf, verious versions available

To convert files like api's etc I've found out two ways: creating scenery files, extract the source code for the file to .sca, adding a new file header so the Trevor Stigter tool MdldisAs and create a new FS 98/FS 2000 mdl. And than converting it with the Universal Model Creator and Converter to get the x or dxf file to import in gmax of max

An easier way to convert api's or disassemble scenery files is to use ModelconvertX by Arnoud ten Haaft, you will be able to extract ready to go 3ds files in a minute. I've converted some CFS 2 and FS2004 Dutch airfield and buildings by Cees Donkers for the Dutch ETO addon this way.
It does not work that well on aircraft models however, but it can deal with library files and it's just a matter of clicking to get several 3DS files. I've converted a lot of CFS 1 libraries this way with much cleaner results than handcoding the .scx files

Converting FS2k4 aircraft can also be done using MDLC to get .sca coded files, which can be imported into gmax with the scam import plugin (and than with Mdlmaker you can get x files. I've converted several CFS 2 ships, tanks etc this way, although the result might get very messy because of the centerpoint of the mdl...

There is an interface with gmax en Deep Exploration, but you must have Max installed to have that working

Guess what I did last night, to be added into the Dutch ETO addon (see attachments)

Deep Exploration has been a great tool, I've been using it for years now to browse and watch any 3d file, from Sketch up to Autocad files

To map simple projects I export an x file, convert it to obj map the obj file with a freeware tool named UvMapper, import back in Deep Exploration, convert to 3ds, import in gmax again, create the LOD if necessary, create the rubble and damage files and than export to m3d files so I can drop bombs on them

See this screenshot for a project I did this way, and also coming in the Dutch ETO Expansion addon (but than with some 100 others)

http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/376985/static_bf109e.jpg

hairyspin
December 23rd, 2008, 13:16
Gmax has always been able to import 3ds. The trick is going from gmax to max!

afaik the Mathiases of this world use the BFF script to export from later versions of Max to gmax. This avoids the 8.3 name problem with 3ds format and you end up with a MAXscript that runs in gmax and actually generates a completely new model within gmax. Clever stuff...

Apparently this retains all the animations, textures, hierarchy etc so all that's left is to export to CFS3 or MakeMDL.

If you're using Max 4 like Nacht, this is presumably unnecessary.

Starspeeder_3000
December 23rd, 2008, 22:07
afaik the Mathiases of this world use the BFF script to export from later versions of Max to gmax. This avoids the 8.3 name problem with 3ds format and you end up with a MAXscript that runs in gmax and actually generates a completely new model within gmax. Clever stuff...

Apparently this retains all the animations, textures, hierarchy etc so all that's left is to export to CFS3 or MakeMDL.

If you're using Max 4 like Nacht, this is presumably unnecessary.

Thanks for bringing this up... this link http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1201180349 will tell you what you need to know, the only catch is that you will need 3DSMax 8, 2008, or 9 for it to work.

NachtPiloten
December 24th, 2008, 06:18
Hey, were did you get the do 17's? The reason I am asking is that I am making a 215 B-5.

Foute Man
December 24th, 2008, 08:56
Hey, were did you get the do 17's? The reason I am asking is that I am making a 215 B-5.

You have a PM

groeten

hairyspin
December 24th, 2008, 11:35
Thanks for bringing this up... this link http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1201180349 will tell you what you need to know, the only catch is that you will need 3DSMax 8, 2008, or 9 for it to work.

There's a thread over at Netwings about BFF with a link to download it.

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9133 (http://forums.netwings.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9133)

The older version 0.3.6 is still available at http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/darkmoon/bff/ (http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/darkmoon/bff/) if users of earlier versions of Max are searching for it