PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody really know what time it is

Curtis P40
March 9th, 2009, 15:34
Here in Indiana we jumped ahead 1 hour on Sunday. Now you get up in dark and go to bed with it still light out. That's just not right. On the local news tonight some county schools are on a 1 hour delay...its to dark for the morning buses. As I post this it's 1930 here but I bet my post time is 1830. Does anybody really know what time it is?
Curt

Navy Chief
March 9th, 2009, 15:55
I wish this time change garbage would stop. Maybe if someone could explain to me the benefits of it nowadays?

NC

stiz
March 9th, 2009, 16:01
its called daylight saveing time, so its lighter in the mornings, cant see anything wrong with it, doesnt exactly kill you or anything .. and dont the busses have lights?? jjjeeeeeezzzzzz :kilroy:

Wing_Z
March 9th, 2009, 16:04
Isn't it meant to stop everyone blundering around in the dark, and so using more energy for heat and light?
New Zealand has embarked on an experiment extending the daylight saving periods.
As a result, as we move into autumn we are getting up in the morning and blundering around in the dark.

As an aside, when we do put the clocks forward for the winter, our time stamps go to GMT+13 hours.
This is a practical impossibility, and amounts to ending up in your own ass.

Panther_99FS
March 9th, 2009, 16:06
I wish this time change garbage would stop. Maybe if someone could explain to me the benefits of it nowadays?

NC

1) Arizona doesn't do DST..

2) Supporters state that it decreases crime in the cities by providing longer hours of daylight in peak movement hours....

Pauke! Pauke!
March 9th, 2009, 16:15
It's Chicago time!

bHZJCJerqhM

Cratermaker
March 9th, 2009, 16:16
its called daylight saveing time, so its lighter in the mornings, cant see anything wrong with it, doesnt exactly kill you or anything .. and dont the busses have lights?? jjjeeeeeezzzzzz :kilroy:
I believe the concern is the kids walking to the bus stop in the dark. Some kids got hit by a car walking to the bus stop in the dark here last year.

jmig
March 9th, 2009, 16:18
It SUCKS!!!

:focus:

demorier
March 9th, 2009, 16:22
That debate rages in Australia every summer with this topic, many for and many against. It doesn't do a thing for me. Believe me the real reasons are centred around commercial interests. It's got bugger all to do with lifestyle.

Wiens
March 9th, 2009, 16:22
its called daylight savings time, so its lighter in the mornings, cant see anything wrong with it, doesnt exactly kill you or anything .. and dont the busses have lights?? jjjeeeeeezzzzzz :kilroy:

Yes to the busses having lights. Actually, around here the farm animals, ie., dairy cows have issues with the switch to DST.

But, to correct your post, its lighter longer in the evening and darker longer in the morning. We have the same amount of light during the day, just transposed one hour to the evening for "enjoyment".

Kevin

Curtis P40
March 9th, 2009, 16:33

Hi Stiz
Sunrise here use to be at 7:00, now it's 8:00. So the energy that you save by not having lights on at night, you use in the morning.
As for the buses.... the faster the horses go, it blows out the candles.
Curt

Curtis P40
March 9th, 2009, 16:42
Hey Pauke Pauke
Loved Chicago. Wished it was Chicago time, instead of New York +/- whatever
Curt

TeaSea
March 9th, 2009, 17:35
Does anyone really care...:faint:
.....about time.....

FlyTexas
March 9th, 2009, 18:12
As for the buses.... the faster the horses go, it blows out the candles.
Curt

Maybe ya'll could use some of the Stimulus Package money for more modern buses. ;)

Brian

Donnybrooke
March 9th, 2009, 18:27
We must be saving candles... at least, that's what I seem to recall as being its original purpose. But I'm suffering jet-lag from the time change, so I'm a little groggy.

Well, it allows the CEOs and Politicians to get in an extra nine holes of golf in the afternoon. THEY don't have to get up early! :sleep:

Now I'm going to bed. I'm tired!

stiz
March 10th, 2009, 00:36
I believe the concern is the kids walking to the bus stop in the dark. Some kids got hit by a car walking to the bus stop in the dark here last year.

not to sound cruel but its a bit of a silly reason to start school and hour later (allthough i bet the kids love the idea!), kids get hit by cars at anytime of day, it depends on more things rather than just if the skys darker ....

But, to correct your post, its lighter longer in the evening and darker longer in the morning. We have the same amount of light during the day, just transposed one hour to the evening for "enjoyment".

ah new it was one of em, dont tend to notice as i dont tend to get up at the crack of dawn :engel016:

Sunrise here use to be at 7:00, now it's 8:00

now thats strange (to me) sunrise around here is around alf 6 to 7 at the mo, couple months and it'll be comeing up at around alf 3, mayde DST works better with smaller countries??

Tako_Kichi
March 10th, 2009, 07:41
now thats strange (to me) sunrise around here is around alf 6 to 7 at the mo, couple months and it'll be comeing up at around alf 3, mayde DST works better with smaller countries??
It's not the size of the country that makes a difference but how far north or south you are on the globe.

In the UK British Summer Time (DST to the rest of the world) was introduced to help farmers by giving them more 'usable' daylight in the summer in order to harvest their crops. The time swing moved dusk to one hour later so they effectively gained an hour's daylight at the end of the day by 'stealing' it from the first part (when they were usually in bed).

When I moved to Canada from the UK I noticed a big difference in the amount of summer daylight. Now most people in the UK think of Canada as the 'Great White North', a land of ice and snow, and most of it is indeed a lot further north than the UK. However, I live in Canada's most southern town and believe it or not I am a LOT further south than the UK, in fact I am on the same latitude as Rome in Italy! Consequently the amount of daylight during the summer is considerably less than in the UK because of my more southerly location. For example in mid summer in the UK dawn is around 3 am and dusk is around 10:30 pm, in fact it never truly gets dark at night as no sooner has the sun gone down than it is starting to come up again (and this is even more noticeable the further north you go hence the reason for the 'midnight sun' once you get above the Arctic Circle). At this location in Canada dawn in mid summer is around 5:30 am and dusk is around 9:30 pm.

Conversely in winter I get more daylight than the UK due to my more southerly location.

Kiwikat
March 10th, 2009, 08:45
doesnt exactly kill you or anything ..

Actually...

Cases of heart attacks increase by 5% for a period of time after we "spring ahead".

I think it is absolutely stupid we still change the clocks. Maybe it is more for tradition now than practicality?

GT182
March 10th, 2009, 12:31
It's Chicago time!

Crap! You beat me to it Pauke. :costumes:

Back when I was in High School, we caught the bus when it was still dark out... on regular time. If it's a problem with it being dark and kids going to school... then let the schools change the time they start and go home. Real simple fix. In mid summer it's light out around 5 or so in the morning. Let the schools start at 6 in the morning during the summer and the kids stay home for the 3 darkest months of the year. Still a simple fix. :costumes:

DST is so you have more daylight in the evening. I'd rather have that then it being dark at 8pm in mid summer. I can sit outside and drink a brew if I want without the lights being on.

harleyman
March 10th, 2009, 14:36
Its the same time it was yesterday, only 24 hours later.....:ernae:

AckAck
March 10th, 2009, 16:23
Oh, but it's not - there is no time except now. There is displaced "now" but it is elsewhere - once it gets here, it will be now, then.

Brian

Wing_Z
March 10th, 2009, 16:59
I once flew across the dateline into yesterday, going east, stopping in at San Francisco and Boston on the way to Amsterdam.
Returning, I just kept going east: Singapore/Sydney/Auckland.

Is this why I feel older than I really am??

GT182
March 10th, 2009, 18:12
Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Enjoy it before it's tomorrow. Actually, every day is the first day of the rest of your life. ;)

Trans_23
March 11th, 2009, 18:07
Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Enjoy it before it's tomorrow. Actually, every day is the first day of the rest of your life. ;)
I think that was the theme for prom back in HS. NOT!:wave:

TeaSea
March 12th, 2009, 15:47
I shall refer you to the character Billy Pilgrim from Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five".

Odie
March 12th, 2009, 17:28

....and no matter where you go, there you are ! :woot:

While I prefer "natural" time, here in far North Illinois, most folks commuting to/from Chicago get home in the late PM so DST provides them some extra daylight hours to enjoy the summer weather once they get home. Not that it's DST's main reason for being but winters here of late seem to hanging on longer and longer, so DST provides some benefit and a chance to savor as much Summer weather as possible !