PDA

View Full Version : I Have One Wish.......

GT182
March 9th, 2009, 14:23
And that's for some one to make a converter so I can use a PCIexpress video card on my AGP motherboard. It seems someone somewhere would have thought of that by now. Then again, maybe it ain't possible. But I want one real bad so I can use that Zotac GF8800-GT 1GB GDDR3 video card that's collecting dust.

stansdds
March 10th, 2009, 01:52
It's not possible, I think the PCIe slots provide more amps to the video card than an AGP slot, plus there would be a real data bottleneck going through the AGP slot.

GT182
March 10th, 2009, 18:23
Thanks Stans, I didn't think of it that way. Oh well, I'll survive until I build a new computer. ;)

Buddha13
March 11th, 2009, 14:36
Hi all,
The slot connector is possible but not practical.Power is not the problem as most high end cards have separate power inputs.It is the physical position of the card.If you put Some kind of converter between your AGP slot and your card it will push the card sideways and outside the case.It was talked about being done when PCI-E cards first came available,But the idea was dropped.

Buddha13

GT182
March 12th, 2009, 13:39
Oh well, at least they thought of it. If it wasn't for the 2 intake fans on the access door side of the case for my full tower, an adapter would work. The fans could be moved or deleted. But I guess it wouldn't be possible for a smaller case.