PDA

View Full Version : Tern Island - PHFS

JoeW
March 9th, 2009, 14:02
Someone a while back wanted Tern Island redone. I had a problem in that I couldn't get the Islands to work right. Well ....... I got em now. You can Google Earth for Tern Island to see the real thing. I finely got the islands to work. This is my version. (Not finished yet, but close)

stovall
March 9th, 2009, 14:38
Looking forward to the release Joe, I have a close friend who was stationed on Tern Island a while back. Rick Vetter and his wife Joan were living there for some time to study the wildlife. Should be fun to fly in there. Thanks!

Tom

harleyman
March 9th, 2009, 15:01
Man...Its just a strip there......:applause:

stovall
March 9th, 2009, 15:13
Harleyman, yep just a strip with some buildings on one side for scientists etc. From the pictures Rick brought back a pretty cool place if you like seclusion.

harleyman
March 9th, 2009, 16:56
Intresting......:applause:

tigisfat
March 9th, 2009, 17:08
I've been waiting for someone to do one of these islands!!
Now, if only someone would do Diego Garcia. I've got enough pics from there.:focus::ernae:

JoeW
March 9th, 2009, 17:28
Looking forward to the release Joe, I have a close friend who was stationed on Tern Island a while back. Rick Vetter and his wife Joan were living there for some time to study the wildlife. Should be fun to fly in there. Thanks!

Tom

Tom ... can you post where the buildings are? The Google Earth view is really burned out.
Thanks

JoeW
March 10th, 2009, 04:37
Ok .... I found some photo's this morning on the web.
First is the real thing, Second is mine:

stovall
March 10th, 2009, 05:55
From the pictures that Rick showed me the pic on the left is identical. Most of the building are all on one side. There was a small dock at one end of the island I believe on the other side of the runway. Great stuff.

Tom

JoeW
March 10th, 2009, 08:06
That little sand spit under the plane shows in some photo's and some it doesn't. Most of the ones that show it has a later date than the others. There was a Loran Antennae there and it shows in the left photo and it's 150 feet tall. I'm not sure it's still there but I show it. If someone could verify that it's gone I'll remove it.

MorrisTheCat
March 10th, 2009, 14:37
Looks nice Mr. Joe!

Regards,

MoCat

BananaBob
March 14th, 2009, 09:13
I requested this island a while back Joe and it looks great! Looking forward to it. :ernae: :bump:

harleyman
March 14th, 2009, 12:34
http://www.ternisland.com/working/Welcome%20to%20Tern%20Island.jpghttp://www.ternisland.com/working/Tern%20Island%20aerial.jpghttp://www.ternisland.com/working/plane%20and%20Barracks.jpg

JoeW
June 22nd, 2009, 05:24
Well ........... I have "cured" the problems I was having with this and have assigned some sounds to it. There are both night and day sounds. As soon as I can get it in an installer I'll post it here and at FlightSim.

BananaBob
June 22nd, 2009, 05:26
Well ........... I have "cured" the problems I was having with this and have assigned some sounds to it. There are both night and day sounds. As soon as I can get it in an installer I'll post it here and at FlightSim.

Thanks Joe!! :ernae:

stovall
June 22nd, 2009, 05:30
Much appreciated Joe, looking forward to Tern Island.

Cag40Navy
June 22nd, 2009, 05:33
boy, you talk about the population.... man, thats not going to be a country soon....

harleyman
June 22nd, 2009, 06:17
Thanks Joe....Its great.....:applause:

Tim_Horton
June 22nd, 2009, 12:35
The hardest part of Tern Island is not the Location, but the Birds!

Jacque Cousteau Did a documentary out there and the plane flying has balls, over 3 million birds, they have to shoo away, and he comes flying low in over the water, ducks in under the birds and touches down.

Just Crazy!

I made a small scenery after seeing this with a load of birds flying around. Just used Default scenery. Still fun to try and avoid all those birds!

The Navaho that he flys has a plate glass in the tail so they can do areal photography and video.

JoeW
June 22nd, 2009, 17:56
The hardest part of Tern Island is not the Location, but the Birds!

Jacque Cousteau Did a documentary out there and the plane flying has balls, over 3 million birds, they have to shoo away, and he comes flying low in over the water, ducks in under the birds and touches down.

Just Crazy!

I made a small scenery after seeing this with a load of birds flying around. Just used Default scenery. Still fun to try and avoid all those birds!

The Navaho that he flys has a plate glass in the tail so they can do areal photography and video.

Tim ....... Thats going to be an issue in this one too. The maintenance on the runway is not ideal either.
:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Stan V.
July 10th, 2009, 12:43
Did Joe's new Tern Island for FSX ever get posted anywhere? If so, would someone please post a link.

Stan

JoeW
July 11th, 2009, 12:45
Stan ....... There is an issue that I have to work out or fix or ignore......
It will be uploaded.

Stan V.
July 11th, 2009, 13:13
Do it at your own pace - I'll wait. Thanks for all you do. I just thought I missed something.

Stan V.