PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to try FSX again and need alil advise

mytincantruck
March 9th, 2009, 13:39
Well after FSX first came out I didnt like it. or better off it did not like my machine. I have since updated to 4 Gigs of ram and a new Motherboard which supports my 3 gig Dual (not Duo) Cope processor. I have a EVGA 9800 GT PCIe vid card w 512 on board. Yeah its not the best of the best but it works. I was wondering what is really essential and needed for FSX and should I install FSX Acceleration as wll. Any help is greatly appreciated.

harleyman
March 9th, 2009, 13:50
First off you never said what your processor was........Or maybe you did...You have a 3.0 processor? A dual?

You tell us that we can give you better realistic expecations..

You need to install Acceleration or both the FSX Service Packs ....

At 3.0 with both Service Packs installed and a 9800 GT (512) you shoild expect not to shabby performance from FSX..There are tweaks you can use to lighten the processor load.It can take a few days to really dial it in, but we can help with that process...

Have a look around these top three threads here..They all pertain to tweaking , add-ons, and the such...

If you need some help..We are here...

BTW..Can you be more specific on your CPU???

FSX loves about 3.2 to 3.6 Ghz....

datter
March 9th, 2009, 14:10
FSX loves about 3.2 to 3.6 Ghz....

As some of us are still working towards on a nightly basis. :)

harleyman
March 9th, 2009, 14:14
As some of us are still working towards on a nightly basis. :)

LOL.......I'm sorry..........:Banane57:

mytincantruck
March 9th, 2009, 14:26
My Processor is a Dual Core 3 Gig Intel

harleyman
March 9th, 2009, 14:59
My Processor is a Dual Core 3 Gig Intel

I'm sorry..but I'm still lost...

Mine is a E8600...3.33Ghz--- 2 cores

Datters is a Q 6600....2.4Ghz---- 4 cores

If you right click on the computer icon on your desktop and then select properties it will tell you all the info about your computer and your CPU :ernae:

mytincantruck
March 9th, 2009, 15:02
Here is Everything I can find on my Processor

Model: Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 3.0GHz
2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Dual-Core Processor
Brand Intel Processors
Type Desktop Series Pentium D Model BX80553930
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
Tech Spec Core Presler Multi-Core Dual-Core Name Pentium D 930
Operating Frequency 3.0GHz
FSB 800MHz
L2 Cache 2 x 2MB
Manufacturing Tech 65 nm
64 bit Support Yes
Hyper-Threading Support No
Virtualization Technology Support Yes
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
Voltage 1.25-1.4V
Thermal Power 95W
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included
Manufacturer Warranty Parts 3 years limited Labor 3 years limited

Any other info needed?

datter
March 9th, 2009, 16:23
Datters is a Q 6600....2.4Ghz---- 4 cores

You are still doing it. :)

harleyman
March 9th, 2009, 16:42
Ahhh I see... its pentium....You should have not to much problems then...

Thanks..I was just curious mostly..

have you loaded FSX yet? If so hows it going so far?

mytincantruck
March 9th, 2009, 17:01
FSX is loaded and running No Service packs or acceleration. Debating if I want to just do the service packs or Acceleration.

harleyman
March 9th, 2009, 17:07
Well reguardless you need the service packs....But Acceleration disk has both SP's on the disk and they auto install with Acceleration...

BUT You get some cool missions and planes with it too ..

Acceleration did not do well and I removed it weeks ago...No problems with SP 1 and 2 though..Strange

langshan
March 10th, 2009, 00:54
Hi Harleyman,

Was following this one for a bit. I noticed you removed Acceleration. I did the same thing. (removed acceleration) and I have just SP1 on it. I have heard that you don't need SP2. Is this true?

Tks.

Mike
aka the "langshan"

Well reguardless you need the service packs....But Acceleration disk has both SP's on the disk and they auto install with Acceleration...

BUT You get some cool missions and planes with it too ..

Acceleration did not do well and I removed it weeks ago...No problems with SP 1 and 2 though..Strange

harleyman
March 10th, 2009, 01:15
Hey Mike... I have it installed..(SP 2) I have never heard where not to..Some people do not install it for different reasons..

Here is what ACES says about it.....

Flight Simulator X Service Pack 2 addresses these post-release customer concerns (see the Readme file (http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/SP2-EN-ReadMe.aspx)for details):

Multiplayer compatibility with Flight Simulator X: Acceleration
DirectX 10 preview
IMPORTANT: If you have already installed Flight Simulator X: Acceleration expansion pack, do not install Service Pack 2.
IMPORTANT: You must install Service Pack 1 (http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack1.aspx) before installing Service Pack 2.
Notes:

Service Pack 2 does not include the code updates required to use the new Flight Simulator X: Acceleration aircraft. You must purchase and install Flight Simulator X: Acceleration to use those aircraft.
After you have installed Service Pack 2, you will be able to play multiplayer games only with users who have installed either Service Pack 2 or Flight SimulatorX: Acceleration.

langshan
March 10th, 2009, 04:34
Hi Harleyman,

I had installed SP1 and SP2. When I bought Acceleration, the program asked to de-install SP2 which it did, and then Acceleration was installed. Recently due to some problems with FX10, I removed Acceleration leaving me with just SP1. I might go ahead and try to re-install Acceleration and see what happens.

Thanks.

Mike

harleyman
March 10th, 2009, 05:33
Go ahead..it won't hurt a thing...It a tad unclear as to its need for a non Acceleration install, but I have it and all is well...

mytincantruck
March 10th, 2009, 09:44
Well after a lil thinking I decided to just install the SP's with no Acceleration. I know ill mis out on planes and missions but im gonna give it a wirl. I have most everythingset on med High and am liking it so far. Is there anything that I should really get to add to the FSX experience planes textures any other things they may improve it and add that lil extra

harleyman
March 10th, 2009, 10:20
Yes...Look just above this thread at my thread ..Great addons for FSX..it has a good description for all things that make FSX purty...

langshan
March 10th, 2009, 21:21
Reinstalled it, got the same error as before "files are corrupted, reinstall or repair" error. I removed acceleration and she loaded right up. I am probably going to have to remove the whole FX10 and start over again. Ouch. But I miss landing my F18 on the carrier deck along with those new helo's and missions.

=S=

Go ahead..it won't hurt a thing...It a tad unclear as to its need for a non Acceleration install, but I have it and all is well...

harleyman
March 11th, 2009, 04:16
Now I'm a little confused.... That is the first time I've heard you removed Acceleration because it was corrupted....

You think its DX10 thats gone bad? That comes with vista and has nothing to do with FSX or Acceleration..

I had Vista first, and with the install of FSX I had *DX10 Preview* showing in the settings page of FSX.... You should too....

Do This...

Go to Start......Run.....Type in dxdiag and hit go......

That will bring up all your Direct 9 and 10 stuff..It will let you check it for errors and run tests on it too....

Its strange Acceleration gives you errors, even though it may check for your Direct X stuff, not sure why it errors there too....

Test it all out and see if it passes all tests and let me know..Never heard of this before...:gossip:

langshan
March 11th, 2009, 05:59
That DX10 was what I was thinking, but for several months Acceleration had worked well, then several weeks ago i went to fire it up and had that error.

Probably end of reinstall of the whole works, no biggy. I like tinkering around with these things.

harleyman
March 11th, 2009, 06:07
Running DX10 in the Run box and doing all the 3D tests there should give you the errors if thats the problem....

If not can it be a smudge on the Acceleration Disk?????

langshan
March 11th, 2009, 23:22
Hmmmm, never thought about a smudge on the disk. But I will give it a try. Again not a big thing, will do some more troubleshooting. Hey, thanks again for all of the advice.

Mike

Running DX10 in the Run box and doing all the 3D tests there should give you the errors if thats the problem....

If not can it be a smudge on the Acceleration Disk?????

harleyman
March 12th, 2009, 02:06
No Problem...Its just stange it used to work and now it gives install errors......

Hopefully it is a dirty place on the disk causing it...

safn1949
March 16th, 2009, 14:50
Hi fellas,I am thinking of trying FSX,I am running a laptop as I travel for a living and here are the specs.

Toshiba Satellite A305
Intel core2 duo cpu @ 2gig 2gig
Ram 3 gig,I have a 8 gig flashdrive I can run ready boost on
Vista home premium,32 bit
Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset
1342mb total graphics memory
128mb dedicated memory
Direct X 10

Tell me if it will hang as I have no idea.:friday:

harleyman
March 16th, 2009, 15:06
If thats a misprint and your CPU is 2.0 Ghz it will be a real struggle at best..

Might struggle with FS9..... sorry....

safn1949
March 16th, 2009, 16:46
The CPU is a T5800 if that helps.

harleyman
March 16th, 2009, 17:09
Intel does not even list that CPU..but its there's for sure..

It a 65nm 2.0Ghz CPU.....

Probably to weak for FSX...

Pigwiggen
December 14th, 2012, 02:21
Could someone give me a steer for SP1 ? Can't find it anywhere and I've just installed the DeLuxe edition of FS-X.
Many thanks.

Pigwiggen
December 14th, 2012, 05:55
Could someone give me a steer for SP1 ? Can't find it anywhere and I've just installed the DeLuxe edition of FS-X.
Many thanks.
Found it.