PDA

View Full Version : Proxy abusers, beware

Marlin
October 10th, 2008, 22:24
October 09, 2008

New Satellite Imagery Galore Coming

http://www.gearthblog.com/images/images1008/geoeyei.jpg (http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20081008/GeoEye-1_First_Image_Kutztown_Univ,_Pa.jpg)Those of you regularly reading this blog, already know there is a wave of new satellite imagery coming to Google Earth (and other mapping tools) in the coming months. Both DigitalGlobe (http://gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2007/09/new_google_earth_satellite_launchin.html) and GeoEye (http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2008/09/links_google_satellite_hurricane_data_real-time_satellites_gec_layers_.html) have launched new satellites in the last year, and more satellites are going up soon. Google has an exclusive contract for online use from the new GeoEye satellite. And, the first image from the GeoEye satellite has just been released, of Kutztown University in Pennsylvania. This image probably won't find its way into Google Earth for several weeks, but they wanted to show off the new image capability. Click on the thumbnail to the right to see a larger version. The new GeoEye satellite can capture up to 0.41 meters per pixel resolution, but because of US laws can only release up to 0.5 m/pixel imagery to Google (the best stuff is for the intelligence agencies and military). The imagery is essentially black and white, but they process the photos with color from other imagery to add color. You can see this imagery is very nice. Story on new GeoEye imagery via CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10061686-93.html).
Google for the past three years had a similar exclusive contract with DigitalGlobe (http://digitalglobe.com/) - where only Google could use DigitalGlobe imagery online. However, their renewed contract was no longer exclusive, and Microsoft has announced (http://blogs.msdn.com/virtualearth/archive/2008/10/07/virtual-earth-digitalglobe-worldwide-imagery-improvement.aspx) they will now be using DigitalGlobe imagery on Virtual Earth. This makes it possible for Microsoft to have much more global imagery than they currently have in Virtual Earth (although, nothing Google doesn't already have). While we're talking about Microsoft, I just found out they also added stars in the background (http://blogs.msdn.com/virtualearth/archive/2008/10/06/worldwide-telescope-stars-in-virtual-earth.aspx) of Virtual Earth 3D. Google Earth has had real stars from the beginning, but the new Virtual Earth ones have color and size (based on brightness) - which I think is better looking than Google Earth's stars (and something I've suggested to Google for years).

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2008/10/new_satellite_imagery_galore_coming.html

jmig
October 11th, 2008, 04:05
I don't understand the title's connection to the post? Still, I can't help but imagine this is what we will see out of FSx in about ten years for scenery.

Real time scenery. :d

falcon409
October 11th, 2008, 05:44
I don't understand the title's connection to the post? Still, I can't help but imagine this is what we will see out of FSx in about ten years for scenery. Real time scenery. :d
Same here jmig. . .after reading the post I wasn't sure where the "beware" part came in, lol.

harleyman
October 11th, 2008, 07:08
BEWARE....It looks amazing....:costumes:

Lionheart
October 11th, 2008, 07:29
I think the 'beware' means, if you are a Proxy addict, the really potent stuff is about to arrive on the market soon.

Hello, my name is Bill and I am a photo scenery ADDICT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:d :isadizzy:

Bill

falcon409
October 11th, 2008, 07:40
. . . .Hello, my name is Bill and I am a photo scenery ADDICT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Hi Bill!! :costumes:

Marlin
October 11th, 2008, 09:01
Beware, because if you really like photo scenery you might have to get THIS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101083) 4TB hard drive to fit in all those places you like to fly. That might fit the USA and a couple of favorite other spots to fly!!

No big deal, its only $1,108 hehe:costumes:

So Bill and Falcon, how much of the world could you fit on that hard drive?

Lionheart
October 11th, 2008, 10:00
4 Terrabytes 'just' might do it.

But then I'll need 2 more for Europe and Canada and misc locations.. :d

Dang, 4T-HD's are out?? How about an 8-core 'Gigawatt' MB?

Bill

harleyman
October 11th, 2008, 11:12
Hi...My name is harleyman and I don't abuse Tile Proxy..But I have friends that do and need help...:costumes::costumes:

kilo delta
October 11th, 2008, 12:33
Anyone got tileproxy to work on Vista 64bit? Not working for me :isadizzy:

CBris
October 11th, 2008, 22:56
Wow! Pretty good. I have just compared Google Earth against the photo above... Looks like the GE images are a bit older - there seems to have been a fair amount of money flowing into the Kutztown stadium.

And of course the GE images are probably late summer compared to a verdant spring shot in the new image.

Lionheart
October 12th, 2008, 05:18
I am beginning to think that Google uses seasonal photos. If its so, it might be possible to save entire scenery of area's that have snow and save them (copy them) to a seperate folder, then activate that in Addon Scenery when that particular season of that particular land is happening.

I would like to do that with Colorado. :d

Bill

Marlin
October 12th, 2008, 06:23
I would like to do that with Colorado. :d

Bill

Ya, like the area around Telluride!!!

Do you guys have any shots of flying up and down those "valleys"? I would love to see em:jump:

Lionheart
October 12th, 2008, 06:51
Here's a few of Southern Colorado, SW area. Last one is Four Corners.

FlyTexas
October 12th, 2008, 06:55
Hi...My name is harleyman and I don't abuse Tile Proxy..But I have friends that do and need help...:costumes::costumes:

I admit it...I have tried Proxy but I didn't inhale.:naturesm:

Brian

Marlin
October 12th, 2008, 07:55
Like this Bill.

Headed towards Telluride

(I hope you don't mind the quick and dirty photochop:costumes:)

Edit: I knew that was Ouray right off the bat. Those steep as* switchbacks coming down the hill gave it away. Silverton is a way cool little town too!

Good stuff dude and I hope you keep posting your cool shots, thanks again!

Lionheart
October 12th, 2008, 10:16
Thanks Marlin.

Hey, where is Silverton? I couldnt find it. I'll see if I can find it in my Atlas and find it that way. I was trying to trace the railroad tracks there and didnt find it.

Bill

Marlin
October 12th, 2008, 10:26
In your 4th posted shot above, you are flying away from Silverton and are about 6 miles NNW away :icon_lol::173go1:

In the picture below you are where the "Untitled Placemark" is.
The black lines are the traintracks.

Edit: 35 N of the Durango glider airport

Bjoern
October 12th, 2008, 14:02
As long as Europe's maps also get an update, bring it on, Google!

kilo delta
October 12th, 2008, 14:19
Anyone have this running on Vista 64? :redf::kilroy:

Lionheart
October 12th, 2008, 16:46
Hey Kilo Delta,

Your 64 bit system 'might' be one of the things that TileProxy cannot run. I remember reading through the list of things that wouldnt run. That may be one of them. Some vista users were also having issues with it, but I think it was mostly UAC problems.

Bill

Lionheart
October 12th, 2008, 16:52
Man, I feel like I was in Colorado today! I flew over so much territory, I feel I know my way around the mountains, lol...

Went from Silverton down to Durango, then went from Colorado Springs, down to Pueblo, then over to Canon City, over the Royal Gorge, (the fs9 doesnt have the Gorge in modelled in 3D mesh, so it took me a while to find it, and found the roads and buildings then). So I couldnt get enough. I then flew some more, this time going North all the way up to Leadville, then back down and West to Aspen where I finally landed my hot, tired Piper Super Cub (Aerosoft). I had that thing at one point, well over 15,000 feet. Luckily, FS doesnt require oxygen. :d

Loved it! Much faster and quicker refresh rates of tiles in FS9.

Photo one is descending over Aspen for final landing. Snow already. Photo two shows a junkyard of cars just on the inlet highway to Leadville. I wonder if there are some classics down in there, being they are so far away from big cities. Photo three shows Leadville on the Horizon, while on my left, I am approaching Twin Lakes. Through that pass, to the left of the Lakes is the route and highway to Aspen. Photo four is just terrain, endless terrain over Colorado. With clear skies and endless visibility, you can see almost as far as Durango.

Bill

kilo delta
October 13th, 2008, 00:58
Hey Kilo Delta,

Your 64 bit system 'might' be one of the things that TileProxy cannot run. I remember reading through the list of things that wouldnt run. That may be one of them. Some vista users were also having issues with it, but I think it was mostly UAC problems.

Bill

Thanks Bill.........i've disabled UAC long ago but Tileproxy still refuses to co-operate:redf::kilroy:...for the moment i'll stick with Maps2bgl and download and create my own photo scenery.

Regards,
KD

icarus
October 13th, 2008, 01:11
very interesting for scenery builders and flyers

Marlin
October 13th, 2008, 16:43
very interesting for scenery builders and flyers

Scenery builders better be careful that they don't have Google lawyers calling because of copyright violations.

Great shots Lionheart, thanks.

I was busy flying out of McCall ID to the Grand Tetons (Big titties in french) making sure to take the long way. My flight plan looked like a big U turn.:costumes: It was so nice I had to do it twice:jump:

Lionheart
October 13th, 2008, 18:04
Scenery builders better be careful that they don't have Google lawyers calling because of copyright violations.

Great shots Lionheart, thanks.

I was busy flying out of McCall ID to the Grand Tetons (Big titties in french) making sure to take the long way. My flight plan looked like a big U turn.:costumes: It was so nice I had to do it twice:jump:

LOLOL.... :costumes:

For all to know, Google claims these textures as copyright, not to be sold as commerce. I dont think we are even allowed to use them as freeware. But then the files are so huge, you would have to do it on DVD anyways..

I'll have to check out McCall.. Sounds like good scenery. The Kodiak is out of that state. Looks like some great mountain ranges.

Flying through the Rockies all day Sunday was similar to the Alps except that there were tons of mountains that were unsettled. Hardly any trails going into some regions. Just raw, untouched territories.

Bill

deathfromafar
October 13th, 2008, 22:27
What do you guys make of these images? Hangars of course. The one under construction is partially underground built into a hillside. It measures about 340X220(Feet) The other one is 324X121. Can you say Lockheed Martin and it goes very very very fast. :d Rumor has it we will be seeing this thing publicly before long. Sometimes DARPA funding pays off in a huge way.

Lionheart
October 13th, 2008, 23:55
You found Aurora's hangout?

Nice....!

:d

deathfromafar
October 14th, 2008, 01:35
Whatever it's real name is, it is a real manned aircraft with no equal. Yes, this would be it's home and maybe another place or two. With all the stories out there true or BS, the one story I love most is the airline crew that was going by there at night and was well north at about FL350. They saw a plane take off out of the base, climb rapidly to about there level and level off a couple of minutes, then zoom climb rapidly at between a 60 to 70 degree angle going West and disappear in the distance. I'd bet it was what lives in these hangars!

kilo delta
October 14th, 2008, 01:36
Lets hope that FSXI will allow for pulse jet technology :costumes:.
From my understanding of Google images....they are freely available to be downloaded by an individual so long as they remain unaltered and are not re-distributed (for example as part of a freeware or commercial product).

deathfromafar
October 14th, 2008, 01:49
Lets hope that FSXI will allow for pulse jet technology

It's actually called PDWE-Pulse Detonation Wave Engines. Maybe if we do ever see this thing someone can model it and it's exotic powerplants.

Lionheart
October 14th, 2008, 08:23
That would be awesome.

Amazing how they can use a sound barrier cone as a rocket engine bell cone, lol.. Brilliant...

Bill

srgalahad
October 14th, 2008, 08:32
LOLOL.... :costumes:

For all to know, Google claims these textures as copyright, not to be sold as commerce. I dont think we are even allowed to use them as freeware. But then the files are so huge, you would have to do it on DVD anyways..

I'll have to check out McCall.. Sounds like good scenery. The Kodiak is out of that state. Looks like some great mountain ranges.

Bill

Bill, pop over to the Around the World Multiplayer forum and try out the little 'exercise' there... starts in McCall. TP may just be a big help.

As for the (re-)distribution issue, I can't see why scenery couldn't be made (perhaps a new tool will be needed) to fit in the same way as "... works with Ultimate Terrain.." so you get the scenery, need to install and run Tile Proxy and avoid the copyright issues.

BTW, it looks like I created a "monster" by telling you about it, but I'm glad I did and I hope you're having fun :jump:

Rob

Gdavis101
October 14th, 2008, 13:48
I think the 'beware' means, if you are a Proxy addict, the really potent stuff is about to arrive on the market soon.

Hello, my name is Bill and I am a photo scenery ADDICT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:d :isadizzy:

Bill

Me too!