PDA

View Full Version : Twitchy

VCN-1
March 9th, 2009, 11:23
I know it was brought up in the request for an X-Plane forum but I would like to see it discussed further.

I use a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS set up and suffer the twitches.
I just wonder it is joy stick induced.

Anyone have any ideas?

I looked at the files in the folders and didn't see anything that looked obviously editable.

VCN-1

harleyman
March 9th, 2009, 11:40
What are the twitchies?????

Like jerky?

My thoughts then would be its driver software.......

VCN-1
March 9th, 2009, 11:42
You could call it that also.

VCN-1

Boomer
March 9th, 2009, 11:44
Its a 2 fold problem.

1) its partly joystick related. Increase your deadband & that will smooth it out a great deal.

2) FS aircraft are extremely stable. Real aircraft will pitch about their various axis. Pull up hard & the plane doesnt immediately climb. It instead pitches about it axis & then starts to climb. FS you dont see that, it immediatly starts to climb as if on rails.
IMO XP is just a more accurate physics model (now I know that statement will start a debate LOL)

FLighT01
March 30th, 2009, 05:37
Its a 2 fold problem. ...
2) FS aircraft are extremely stable. Real aircraft will pitch about their various axis. Pull up hard & the plane doesnt immediately climb. It instead pitches about it axis & then starts to climb. FS you dont see that, it immediatly starts to climb as if on rails.
IMO XP is just a more accurate physics model (now I know that statement will start a debate LOL)

Yep, this is what I notice the most. I fly FSX on full real settings with no issues (after 10 years of flying MSFS) and when I jump into XP9 I'm outta' control. Switching back and forth and under the same weather settings, gets me screwed up to beat the band. It'd be nice to get some input from a few RL pilots who have experienced both sims.

I also suspect that the Joystick, Yoke, etc. hardware set up for sensitivity , etc., that work with one will be very different for the other.

Lionheart
March 30th, 2009, 07:51
I had heard from the gentleman that made the Mitsubishi Mu-2 payware bird, that its possible to 'tune' your aircrafts behavior. There is a config file of sorts that can be 'adjusted' to react better in turbulance and be less jumpy.

Note; I havent been able to locate such a config file. It must be a file that you can 'add' to a plane? It would be good to hear from him again. He was a wealth of information concerning making planes for XP9 and how the sim works.

For me, flying a real Cessna 172 is more relaxing in normal weather then in XP9. It seems a little jumpy in the sim. Once you have it trimmed out, it should cruse right along. But... In reality, you do have 'bumps' and things that effect the plane, (at least when flying around Phoenix), and XP9 does have that. FS has it, but its very spread out, with jumps happening about every 10 to 30 seconds. (Note, you will fly along, no turbulance, clear weather, in FS, and suddenly a wing rises up, or the nose goes up, then its back to normal again).

Bill

FLighT01
March 31st, 2009, 03:46
I suspect the truth of the matter (fidelity to the real handling characteristics) probably lies somewhere between the two simulators. I seem to end up over controlling with XP, it could be a matter of getting sensitivities set up correctly. I also struggle getting a comfortable view to fly from, my unfamiliarity with the view system capabilities, or confusion with FSX the obvious reason. I'll need to spend a lot more time figuring this out and I'll need a lot more spare time than I have before delving into "tuning" flight handling characteristics.

(Too bad I can't find a way to do this for a living, LOL)

Also haven't found a source of info like the Learning Center in MSFS in XP so that's gonna slow down my learning curve.

In last months Comp Pilot mag I did see over a dozen Piper variants being offered at www.c74.net/xplane/ (http://www.c74.net/xplane/) for $1.00 US per plane. That's pretty cost effective! I haven't looked into it more at this point as installing planes looks like another learning situation with files and folders instead of an installer (?) but I could be wrong. At this point I just want to get flying the Cessna that comes with XP down cold before going any further. But it's nice to have an option like XP. Who knows, in time it may surpass the MSFS line in those areas that matter most to me.

Thanks for the input.

JimC1702
March 31st, 2009, 07:42
I have that pack of Pipers and they're pretty nice. Definitely a bargain.

Installing airplanes in X-Plane is actually easier than FSX. You just have to decide where you want it (General Aviation, Fighters, Heavy Metal, etc.) There's no messing with gauge files, effects, etc.

Jim

Lionheart
March 31st, 2009, 10:01
I suspect the truth of the matter (fidelity to the real handling characteristics) probably lies somewhere between the two simulators. I seem to end up over controlling with XP, it could be a matter of getting sensitivities set up correctly. I also struggle getting a comfortable view to fly from, my unfamiliarity with the view system capabilities, or confusion with FSX the obvious reason. I'll need to spend a lot more time figuring this out and I'll need a lot more spare time than I have before delving into "tuning" flight handling characteristics.

(Too bad I can't find a way to do this for a living, LOL)

Also haven't found a source of info like the Learning Center in MSFS in XP so that's gonna slow down my learning curve.

In last months Comp Pilot mag I did see over a dozen Piper variants being offered at www.c74.net/xplane/ (http://www.c74.net/xplane/) for $1.00 US per plane. That's pretty cost effective! I haven't looked into it more at this point as installing planes looks like another learning situation with files and folders instead of an installer (?) but I could be wrong. At this point I just want to get flying the Cessna that comes with XP down cold before going any further. But it's nice to have an option like XP. Who knows, in time it may surpass the MSFS line in those areas that matter most to me.

Thanks for the input.

Hey F1,

Jim is on it. Just drop the plane into the folder of your choice. I imagine you could make a new folder, like 'Piper Payware' and drop the new ones in there.

Here are some tips for looking around.

* Set "Lateral Field of View" to something like 60 or 70 degrees. This will be like moving back in your seat (keeping your nose away from the panel), and enable you to see more. Its also more similar to the angle in FS. (The setting is located in Settings/Rendering Options). It will not take effect till you reboot the sim.

Set up your VC view, spot plane view, and 2D panel view to keys you can remember. I have Spot Plane as A key, VC as S key, and W as 2D panel key. (This way they are quite similar to FS, easier for me at least to remember). I also have a seperate VC view that is for TrackIR, key is Control/O or 'control oh' (letter o).

Then note that in VC view, you can move up or down with the up and down arrow keys. I also linked my hud switch on the Saitek 45 so I can scan around in VC mode. You can move sideways in there also with the left/right arrow keys.

In exterior Spot Plane mode, you can use the right left up down keys to look around the plane. Use -+ keys to zoom in and out. Use Shift key with arrows to increase pan speed rate.

2D Panel mode helps you to locate switches that are hidden by the control yoke.

Also, for selecting auto pilot, in XP9, they use 'Flight Director' as AP on/off. So if you want Auto to fly for a bit while you study the controls, turn on FD, and click on Alt and HDG. If you just want Auto to hold ALT, just click on ALT only. Wing Leveler will not be on automatically, so you can turn and explore without having to hold your altitude manually.

I also assigned Heading adjustment to the secondary HUD switch (right left) for adjusting heading in flights. Easier then the keyboard. I also assigned trim up-down to that same HUD switch on the Saitek.

Hope that helps.

The Cessna is a real blast. I was flying it last night again. Couldnt sleep and ended up flying around Phoenix.

Bill

FLighT01
April 2nd, 2009, 03:20
Thanks fellas, so many new things to learn.