PDA

View Full Version : IRIS Vulcan B.2 Released!

SirBenn21
March 9th, 2009, 04:18
Thank-you IRIS team. :woot:

Downloading now. Will report later.

Ben

Smudge
March 9th, 2009, 04:25
Wow, that was quick, I only just put it up there! lol

Lewis-A2A
March 9th, 2009, 04:37
Looks wonderful;

http://www.irissimulations.com/

CG_1976
March 9th, 2009, 05:28
Ok how many US Dollars is 49.99 AU Dollars. My bank is closed today due to us getting pounded by a Snow Hurricane yesterday and cant get that amount converted figures.

Smudge
March 9th, 2009, 05:32
At the moment according to XE.com, about $32 USD.

CG_1976
March 9th, 2009, 05:36
Thank you Smudge.

Roger
March 9th, 2009, 05:50
Fantastic...got to wait 'til Im home...hope they don't run out:engel016:

SirBenn21
March 9th, 2009, 05:55
Really good. Performance and quality as always the best from IRIS Simulations.

79067 79068 79069

79070 79071

Ben

grunau_baby
March 9th, 2009, 06:00
A bit low on cash-fuel, but definetely on my purchase list. Looking great, must-have-aircraft for me!!!:applause:

Alex

DaveQ
March 9th, 2009, 06:02
A bit low on cash-fuel, but definetely on my purchase list. Looking great, must-have-aircraft for me!!!:applause:

Alex

:amen: to that! Does a paint kit ship with it?

DaveQ

Smudge
March 9th, 2009, 06:03
No paint kit yet... still got to sort that out. As for the sounds, they SHOULD be working...they're working on my system...is it any particular aircraft or all of them?

SirBenn21
March 9th, 2009, 06:19
Will post some more pics later.

Ben

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 06:33
Looks great - but then Nick Churchill can make everything look good.

I hope to get it soon

Smudge
March 9th, 2009, 06:38
Looks great - but then Nick Churchill can make everything look good.

I hope to get it soon

No arguements from me on that one! ;)

Smudge
March 9th, 2009, 06:44
Um...I have to apologise...even us flightsim developers shouldn't build installers when on a coffee high.

SirBenn was correct, I (in my last minute fiddlings) accidentally removed the sound folder prior to the last build.

I have to humbly apologise and grovel. The installers being rebuilt as I type and reuploaded. Those who have downloaded and have no sound, should redownload when I advise on the website that the installers updated. :faint:

VFR Reviews
March 9th, 2009, 06:58
Nice Iris!

Smudge
March 9th, 2009, 07:22
Kevin, I'll e-mail you in the morning.. it's 2.30am and I'm heading to bed after this file's finished uploading.

Smudge
March 9th, 2009, 07:35
Okay, it's done...if you don't have sounds in your Vulcan, you'll need to redownload and reinstall the product from your IRIS Store account. Simple as that and you're done.

Boomer
March 9th, 2009, 08:09
Looks sweet!

I have a weakness for cold war era aircraft. Will definitely have to buy this!

shackleton_boy
March 9th, 2009, 08:26
its absolutely bloody amazing :woot::ernae::friday::wiggle:

krazycolin
March 9th, 2009, 08:46
We at Milviz would like to congratulate Iris and their team for a plane well done... They did our model proud! It's totally amazing...

KC

shackleton_boy
March 9th, 2009, 08:48
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/henkhugo/vulcan01.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/henkhugo/vulcan02.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/henkhugo/vulcan03.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/henkhugo/vulcan04.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/henkhugo/vulcan05.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/henkhugo/vulcan06.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/henkhugo/vulcan07.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/henkhugo/vulcan08.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/henkhugo/vulcan09.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/henkhugo/vulcan10.jpg

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 08:58
Wow Shackleton - great shots.

Do the wipers work?

shackleton_boy
March 9th, 2009, 09:01
good question - no idea :D

will check that later

Moses03
March 9th, 2009, 09:09
Looks fantastic. Going to be hard to resist this one.

Moses

noddy
March 9th, 2009, 09:10
Looks fantastic.

shackleton_boy
March 9th, 2009, 09:12
Moses - well worth it :ernae:

Chris Sykes
March 9th, 2009, 09:49
[quote=gajit;134740

Do the wipers work?[/quote]

Nope they dont work, but why are you looking outside!!! the VC is just too smexy!:jump: I have no idea why David didnt model them, im sure he will pop in and explain...

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 10:02
Nope they dont work, but why are you looking outside!!! the VC is just too smexy!:jump: I have no idea why David didnt model them, im sure he will pop in and explain...

I just thought that looking at the screenshots that those wipers look amazingly detailed that they would!

6297J
March 9th, 2009, 10:29
I used to love the Phoenix simluation Vulcan for FS9 (or was it for FS2002??) and seeing this one made me want to look them up -

http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk/

Anyone have any more info on their return??

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 10:32
Downloading the Vulcan now - great value IRIS - well done for keeping the cost at a sensible level :kiss:

Fireball6
March 9th, 2009, 10:35
I miss the Crew - no Pilot or Co-Pilot inside - if i look from outside - were are they ?

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 10:37
I miss the Crew - no Pilot or Co-Pilot inside - if i look from outside - were are they ?

Ah - no pilots? Thats how they kept the cost down!!!!

shackleton_boy
March 9th, 2009, 10:40
staff = money :faint:

VFR Reviews
March 9th, 2009, 10:46
Kevin, I'll e-mail you in the morning.. it's 2.30am and I'm heading to bed after this file's finished uploading.

Thanks David, looking forward to it!

BTW, I wasn't saying 'nice' as to forgetting the sound folder... I didn't read that far down the thread, so I was just saying I'm happy it's released :)

I'll have to clear out some of my other reviews for this... I hope you won't be selling at FSPilotshop right away, cause some other FlightSim.com reviewer might get it first :p

Kevin

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 11:12
:help: Ive downloaded the file which is a .php - cant open - anyone know what this is?

Fireball6
March 9th, 2009, 11:21
Sorry - no Idea what that is, it should be an .exe . No Pilots is a little bit strange and disappoint me - I looked into the texture-folders, find no Textures for the Pilots. For me it is a step back - i hate those "Ghostplanes".

pernik
March 9th, 2009, 11:23
php is not an executable - it's a website document. The file I downloaded was a 119mb .exe

Nick C
March 9th, 2009, 11:24
The windows are that small you can hardly see anything through them from outside anyway.

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 11:25
Thats annoying - now I wished i had waited for it to be on SimMarket - never have a problem there.

I have emailed support so hopefully will get an answer when Australia wakes up!

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 11:28
The windows are that small you can hardly see anything through them from outside anyway.

Of course - why bother with them.

Roger
March 9th, 2009, 11:38
Gorgeous...and I managed to start the engines...and I managed to set the auto-pilot:engel016::ernae:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/vulc-1.jpg

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 11:43
Great shot Roger. Im envious as i cannot fly it yet!

Roger
March 9th, 2009, 11:52
Thats annoying - now I wished i had waited for it to be on SimMarket - never have a problem there.

I have emailed support so hopefully will get an answer when Australia wakes up!

If you created an account you can try again to download your aircraft. You should see a Download button that you need to press.

MudMarine
March 9th, 2009, 11:54
Looks fantastic. Going to be hard to resist this one.

Moses

It's right up your alley Moz! Me, resistance is NOT futile!

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 11:59
If you created an account you can try again to download your aircraft. You should see a Download button that you need to press.

Hi Roger

Thanks for advice - yes I can use the download button but every time it comes down as a php not an exe file. Never had that before!! But hey - always a first time eh?

My thanks again for helping

Nick C
March 9th, 2009, 12:01
Hi Roger

Thanks for advice - yes I can use the download button but every time it comes down as a php not an exe file. Never had that before!! But hey - always a first time eh?

My thanks again for helping

Have you tried using a different browser while you wait for David to return to the land of the living?

shackleton_boy
March 9th, 2009, 12:05
Also try and not right click "save as" just click it and wait for the save box to come up....

SolarEagle
March 9th, 2009, 12:06
Thanks for advice - yes I can use the download button but every time it comes down as a php not an exe file.

Is the php file the same size as what the exe should be? I wonder if your download manager is grabbing the php file rather than the download redirect.

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 12:47
Hi guys - thanks again for your advice. I cant try anything else now as I have no more download attempts left.

Much apprechiated . Im sure IRIS will help ASAp.

tigisfat
March 9th, 2009, 13:56
This has happened to me before with other downloads. I don't know what causes it or fixes it, I jus tknow that repeatedly trying will enable me to get to a real download and not a PHP. I wouldn't use downloads trying; I would only right-click/save as and see what extension comes up before wasting precious downloads.

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 14:12
This has happened to me before with other downloads. I don't know what causes it or fixes it, I jus tknow that repeatedly trying will enable me to get to a real download and not a PHP. I wouldn't use downloads trying; I would only right-click/save as and see what extension comes up before wasting precious downloads.

Thanks for the advice Tigisfat. Unfortunately Im out of downloads now but will try that if they reset me!

pbearsailor
March 9th, 2009, 14:53
ummmmm. . . .WOW

this is really good :jawdrop:

cheers,
steve :wave:

Roger
March 9th, 2009, 15:07
It's a work of art (and I don't say that about kerosene burners:caked:)

Smudge
March 9th, 2009, 15:24
Thanks for all the feedback.... I've just finished taking my little one to school, so will try and answer the points here.

1. GAJIT, PM me (if you have already, don't worry I've not checked them yet) and I'll provide you with an alternate download location. The store download links to a PHP file which then retreives the product exe from a protected folder. Sometimes on some browsers, it doesn't like this.

2. No, the wipers are not animated (YET), I did animate the wipers, and they totally screwed up the model, and because this was done last minute, I decided to leave them static for the time being.

3. The pilots aren't in the visual model, mainly because of what Nick said..the windows are so small that really, it's not overly noticable that they're not there. So we kept them out to save on performance. Every little helps with that beasty.

gajit
March 9th, 2009, 15:40
Thanks for all the feedback.... I've just finished taking my little one to school, so will try and answer the points here.

1. GAJIT, PM me (if you have already, don't worry I've not checked them yet) and I'll provide you with an alternate download location. The store download links to a PHP file which then retreives the product exe from a protected folder. Sometimes on some browsers, it doesn't like this.

2. No, the wipers are not animated (YET), I did animate the wipers, and they totally screwed up the model, and because this was done last minute, I decided to leave them static for the time being.

3. The pilots aren't in the visual model, mainly because of what Nick said..the windows are so small that really, it's not overly noticable that they're not there. So we kept them out to save on performance. Every little helps with that beasty.

Hi

Thanks for the answers and the offer to help - I did email to your Support@ address so I hope I can get hold of what looks like a masterpiece.

DennyA
March 9th, 2009, 19:39
Hmm, just a hair over my $25 self-imposed limit... I think I'm going to have to bite on this. I was lucky enough to see one of these at a US airshow before they were retired.

How's the flight modeling feel?

gajit
March 10th, 2009, 00:44
Thanks to help from David my download has now worked.

This shot makes you proud to be British (if you are of course)

Well done IRIS team - this is your best yet :applause:

Fireball6
March 10th, 2009, 02:56
OK - i must live without the Pilots :mixedsmi: it is a wonderfull aircraft from inside and outside. Gajit you are right - it is a fantastic plane :ernae:.

gajit
March 10th, 2009, 03:57
Great shot Fireball :ernae:

Ian Warren
March 10th, 2009, 05:09
No hesitation , one of those unique must haves for flightsim , Gajit , lve the arrow formation .

JIMJAM
March 10th, 2009, 15:27
I am like one click away from buying this plane. AGAIN for the second time.... I have no use what so ever for a cold war era bomber that has no visibility and looks like a coffin with gauges inside. Cant bush fly with it. Cant carry people and use Fspassengers with it. But Dam its one of the coolest planes ever made.
I want a B-52,B2 or B1b done right for FSX. I already have a ton of paywares collecting dust but the Vulcan is hard to resist. You tube has some recent airshow footage of it and the engine sounds seem to be right on.

SkippyBing
March 10th, 2009, 15:30
Don't know about bush flying but it sure is challenging low flying it with one eye out the letterbox windscreen and one on the rad alt!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/SkippyBing/2009-3-10_22-4-21-488.jpg

Fireball6
March 10th, 2009, 15:44
The only problem with this plane is - after your first flight (trust me - RAPID-Start is very easy) you will be infected by the "Vulcan-Virus" - that means that you can`t stop flying it:jump: and low-level-flights are very funny - as you can see at the picture from SkippyBing above.

JIMJAM
March 10th, 2009, 17:21
Does each flight begin cold and dark or can you control e the engines?

Smudge
March 10th, 2009, 18:19
Cold and Dark, although we are looking into a program to allow you to install two seperate sets of files for either 'realistic' or 'easy' mode... easy being the removal of the PFC system lockouts, fuel system controls, and an engine startup will be either rapid start button for all engines autostart, or pressing engines 1 through 4 for individual engines autostart without having to worry about all the other stuff.

Kiwikat
March 10th, 2009, 19:40
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/whippetstorm/VulcanSmall.jpg

There's just somethin about her in white that looks right ;)

Special thanks to andy for the spectacular paints. :ernae:

VFR Reviews
March 10th, 2009, 19:46
*drools*

lol

gajit
March 10th, 2009, 23:10
Cold and Dark, although we are looking into a program to allow you to install two seperate sets of files for either 'realistic' or 'easy' mode... easy being the removal of the PFC system lockouts, fuel system controls, and an engine startup will be either rapid start button for all engines autostart, or pressing engines 1 through 4 for individual engines autostart without having to worry about all the other stuff.

Its very clever that rapid start - I have now got from cold to taxi in less than 30 seconds but it would be great to be able to change the time of day or location without the engines cutting out in mid flight!!

Smudge
March 10th, 2009, 23:42
See the front page of the IRIS website.. :) Handy tool just posted there.

gajit
March 10th, 2009, 23:43
See the front page of the IRIS website.. :) Handy tool just posted there.

Well done :applause:

gajit
March 10th, 2009, 23:52
Hi - yes that easy mode works well - its great to have the option thank you :applause:

JIMJAM
March 11th, 2009, 07:02
That just SOLD me the plane.
Why some outfits refuse to offer their products a easy option to jump in and go is beyond me.
A optional GPS in all planes would be nice also.
Modelling the complexities and sytems of a plane is fine. I am a real world 20 yr pilot and can appreciate and understand the desire to go through the entire procedures needed.
PMDG is a good example of the macho "the real plane doesnt have it, neither does ours" mentality.
Well when I finally sink into my chair at 10pm and want to get my flying fix, I do not want hardcore reality. Sorry but clicking switches and buttons for 10 minutes is about as exciting as programming a vcr. Maybe they can add in delays so you cannot move the plane for 20 minutes.
Mini rant over. Glad you guys did that and I feel it will also help sales.

yago9
March 11th, 2009, 09:05
It sure worth the money. It,s simply superb.:applause:

Smudge
March 11th, 2009, 14:12
JIMJAM,

I have to thank the guys here for the idea.. :) I just wish I had it during testing... having to go through the startup procedures every time I had to reload the plane to test something sure was getting old! lol

Oh and a GPS panel ships with the product as part of the default popups.

Dexdoggy
March 11th, 2009, 14:15
This Vulcan looks beautiful - but a quick question - are there any features that require Acceleration or does SP2 cover it?

Paul K
March 11th, 2009, 14:22
And a couple of my own...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/Geomitrak/ScreenShot008.jpg

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/Geomitrak/ScreenShot006.jpg

Tis a thing of wonder...

JIMJAM
March 11th, 2009, 16:23
Just bought her. I will send in a review to Simmarket after I get in some stick time. JIMJAM

Scratch
March 11th, 2009, 17:27
Wicked looking bird. Outstanding job IRIS!!!!!!!!!!:applause:
I bet she would look awesome in black..........hint, hint........

JIMJAM
March 11th, 2009, 17:28
Just finished my first flight and the old horrors of that dam autopilot come back to haunt me :faint:
Who ever designed the vulcan were not pilots.
Lets throw on top of a cockpit that a vampire would love,a autopilot from satan and give them the responsibility of carrying nuclear weapons. It even looks like a bat. Instead of being called the Vulcan, Dracula would be a more fitting name.
Question- Does the popup Autopilot other than entering your comms and nav freqs do anything else?
Seems any button I press turns on and then off. No have not RTM yet.Later I will do my homework on it.
Other than needing some interior weathering,scuff marks ect, the plane overall is really well done.

Smudge
March 11th, 2009, 18:04
As for compatibility, ever since I found out that SP2 standalone and SP2 that's bundled with acceleration are two entirely different beasts (yes it's a pain in the a&&) I now develop using SP2, and the team test with Acceleration to ensure compatibility with both platforms.

And yes, I have some bonus paints that will be released over the next couple of days... one very black USAF bird too.. :D (Suprisingly she looks good in black)

And yes, the autopilot is a nightmare... I hate it..lol
DB.

Dexdoggy
March 11th, 2009, 18:07
Thanks Smudge, looks like I'm gonna have to get this! Hey, any RAAF fictional repaints? :ernae:

JIMJAM
March 11th, 2009, 19:29
Ok I give up. What the magic combination of buttons,switches and foul words required to hold altitude or pitch?
Speaking of.. This plane is VERY pitchy. To be so big and heavy I can slam the elevator frw and back like a fighter.
All I can do is track the gps. Other than the 2 white lights on the ap, I get no feedback if anything is turned on/off. No switch sounds,ap disconnect.
BTW- This is with the easy file downloaded and installed on a fresh install of the plane.

shackleton_boy
March 11th, 2009, 20:12
its in the manual :D

JIMJAM
March 11th, 2009, 21:00
Thanks for that help. Hope it didnt make you late for work.
I flew a round trip from KEDW to AREA51. No approaches but have everything about figured out.
My trafficX had the restricted skies full of planes most being small private planes. A few 172s up around fl250. I need to fool around with mtx and lower the number of Skyhawks.
Other than being really pitchy especially on landing, I really enjoy this plane.

Smudge
March 11th, 2009, 21:56
The only thing I'll say about the pitchyness is that the Vulcan was VERY maneuverable for its size, just take a look at any 'older' airshow footage and you'll see what I mean.

She has an obvious lifting area, and didn't require much movement on the controls for pitch movement. Generally she should have better pitch response to roll response. Just learn to handle her gracefully and I'm sure you'll be fine.. :)

gajit
March 11th, 2009, 23:24
The only thing I'll say about the pitchyness is that the Vulcan was VERY maneuverable for its size, just take a look at any 'older' airshow footage and you'll see what I mean.

She has an obvious lifting area, and didn't require much movement on the controls for pitch movement. Generally she should have better pitch response to roll response. Just learn to handle her gracefully and I'm sure you'll be fine.. :)

Yes - watching airshow footage shows her amazing agility.:applause:

Chris Sykes
March 12th, 2009, 02:10
I have a Vulcan Video which shows the XV770 rolling and also there was fottage of Vulcans doing Cuban 8's!

kilo delta
March 12th, 2009, 02:45
I have a Vulcan Video which shows the XV770 rolling and also there was fottage of Vulcans doing Cuban 8's!

X4r0Kk-xX4o

bstolle
March 12th, 2009, 03:39
Just a quick question,

I have both, the PC-9 and the 'new' F-14. Both have lower framerates than e.g. the PMDG MD11 (let alone the magnificent Mirage) and even worse, both suffer from constant microstutters.
If there are any IRIS plane users with the same problem, I'd like to know if the Vulcan is more framerate friendly and doesn't have the microstutter problem.

Thanx in advance

appelflap
March 12th, 2009, 03:53
What a beauty she is.:applause::applause::applause:
Specially in white, burning BIG holes in the white fluffy clouds over England.

Thanx to all the IRIS team for this wonderfull replica of flying history.:ernae::ernae::ernae:

I found this documentry about the Vulcan, part 1 of 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsd6bjoFuMs

Part 2 to 5 can be found on the side bar of Youtube.

Of to chase more white clouds...:woot:

Erwin

Bone
March 12th, 2009, 06:15
I saw the Vulcan perform at Carswell AFB back in the 1980's. It looped, rolled, and in general yanked-and-banked to a degree that made the fighter aerial displays look absolutely lame...very LAME.

What a machine.

JIMJAM
March 12th, 2009, 06:33
"if the Vulcan is more framerate friendly and doesn't have the microstutter problem"
Every system is different and so is each FSX install and what all its running. I am loaded with addons,GEX,FEX,UTX,MytrafficX,Activesky advanced ect. Crts are my fps killer but the Vulcan is old school round gauges. The cockpit is stuffed with them and I was surprised that the performace is what it is. Of all the other Iris planes I own,in particular those with crts and huds, the Vulcan is the best performer.I never did see any of the indicators of it being a memory hog.

I have a strange but not uncommon graphics issue. When I shift 2 the autopilot popup I get a screen freeze and the panel is bright white. After a few seconds it loads and all is well. Ive noticed this with other developers planes that use FSX default panels.

Matt Wynn
March 12th, 2009, 08:15
Thanks Smudge, looks like I'm gonna have to get this! Hey, any RAAF fictional repaints? :ernae:
Hey everyone, IRIS-Matt one of the texturers for Iris here, Re. RAAF paints i have a few in the pipework (Fictional of course) using the F-111's tail markings (these will be sent to you DB), first one should be about inside the next few days but i'll keep you posted.

JIMJAM
March 12th, 2009, 09:34
I love the black jets,U2.SR-71.B2,F117. Looking forward to a all flat black Vulcan.

warchild
March 12th, 2009, 10:47
She's "pitching"??? :faint: Please forgive me.. When i built the fde for her, i designed her to use fingertip control at lower speeds. This was done for two reasons. 1. The vulcan has a massive amount of buffetting at 200 knots that we tried our best to simulate ( but failed ) and, 2. the faster this bird goes, the more you have to pull back on the stick till at a certain speed, no amount of stick will do anything. She even flies nose down above that speed ( that was a weird one to reproduce ). The only thing i can think of causing the pitching is the amount of dynamic range the plane has built into her control sick. It's massive, and we tried to get it as close to the real thing as possible without making everyone join the raf and take lessons in her..
You see, i dont use anything related to FS when i build the fde's. No programs no cheap fast work arounds, nothing. To me, the shape, equipment location distribution and powerplants make up story unique to each plane, that once broken down into it's mathematical components determine exactly how that plane is going to fly. So i reverse engineer it using only real world calculations. The problem is, I'm no genius, nor an expert with trignmetry, If she's inordainantly pitching, i must have made a mistake somewhere, that didnt show up on my system, and i am incrediby sorry for that. However, if it's like David said, and simply a mattewr of the extreme maneuverability then yes, Just use fingertip control on take off, cuz at .95 mach at 45000 feet, there aint no force in heaven or earth thats gonna get that nose to move..
Pam.

delta558
March 12th, 2009, 11:21
I think much of the pitch issues are to do with the aircraft being incorrectly trimmed - on the take-off run the trim should be pretty much neutral, but as you take to the air the aircraft is accelerating rapidly and a constant check on the trim is needed. Believe me, if you keep her in trim it is a very responsive aircraft to fly and at low speeds can really be thrown around comfortably:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EneM422fFM

Paul K
March 12th, 2009, 11:57
I love the black jets,U2.SR-71.B2,F117. Looking forward to a all flat black Vulcan.

I don't think there ever was a black Vulcan.

There was a black Vickers Valiant ( the first of the V-Bombers ) which was one of the B.2 prototypes configured to act as a target-marking pathfinder. However, the B.2 didn't go into production and target marking was an outdated concept anyway

I've got a feeling there might have been a black painted Handley-Page Victor ( the third of the V-bombers ), but as far as the Vulcan B.2 is concerned, you could have it in any colour as long as it was anti-flash white or camouflaged.

I stand to be corrected of course. :)

Roger
March 12th, 2009, 12:07
She's "pitching"??? :faint: Please forgive me.. When i built the fde for her, i designed her to use fingertip control at lower speeds. This was done for two reasons. 1. The vulcan has a massive amount of buffetting at 200 knots that we tried our best to simulate ( but failed ) and, 2. the faster this bird goes, the more you have to pull back on the stick till at a certain speed, no amount of stick will do anything. She even flies nose down above that speed ( that was a weird one to reproduce ). The only thing i can think of causing the pitching is the amount of dynamic range the plane has built into her control sick. It's massive, and we tried to get it as close to the real thing as possible without making everyone join the raf and take lessons in her..
You see, i dont use anything related to FS when i build the fde's. No programs no cheap fast work arounds, nothing. To me, the shape, equipment location distribution and powerplants make up story unique to each plane, that once broken down into it's mathematical components determine exactly how that plane is going to fly. So i reverse engineer it using only real world calculations. The problem is, I'm no genius, nor an expert with trignmetry, If she's inordainantly pitching, i must have made a mistake somewhere, that didnt show up on my system, and i am incrediby sorry for that. However, if it's like David said, and simply a mattewr of the extreme maneuverability then yes, Just use fingertip control on take off, cuz at .95 mach at 45000 feet, there aint no force in heaven or earth thats gonna get that nose to move..
Pam.

I think you did a great job Pam:engel016:

SolarEagle
March 12th, 2009, 12:26

You are not kidding! Watch this baby rotate, I'm amazed....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_h7hVF7UIc

JIMJAM
March 12th, 2009, 12:36
Ok Ok OK Ok. I am a pitchy bitch hahahaha.
I didnt say change it. I can edit a config or adjust my joystick settings if I hated it that bad. Alot of real world planes,cars,people have unique quirks that you just learn to deal with.
I flew Mu2s in real life and HATED the dam plane. But that was my job so you learned to deal with it.
Hell I wished I was able to damage the plane or systems from abuse. Betreen the bad vis,take a pill,"pitchness" ok you can breath, and the autopilot designed by satan, the Vulcan provides a challenge which I enjoy.

warchild
March 12th, 2009, 13:10
I think much of the pitch issues are to do with the aircraft being incorrectly trimmed - on the take-off run the trim should be pretty much neutral, but as you take to the air the aircraft is accelerating rapidly and a constant check on the trim is needed. Believe me, if you keep her in trim it is a very responsive aircraft to fly and at low speeds can really be thrown around comfortably:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EneM422fFM

I was hping you'd post that.. :D .
Gentleman.. that video was the litmus test. Paul memorized the farnborough routine and duplicated it. Every quirk that plane has comes out in that routine, and i must have3 reworked my calculations a hundred times. :::LOL:: ..
Thanks again Paul :)
Pam
by the way, you can find a much tamer video of the vulcan ( in it's beta configuration ) at http://jftc.jadeisland.org .
Enjoy :)

warchild
March 12th, 2009, 13:28
Ok Ok OK Ok. I am a pitchy bitch hahahaha.
I didnt say change it. I can edit a config or adjust my joystick settings if I hated it that bad. Alot of real world planes,cars,people have unique quirks that you just learn to deal with.
I flew Mu2s in real life and HATED the dam plane. But that was my job so you learned to deal with it.
Hell I wished I was able to damage the plane or systems from abuse. Betreen the bad vis,take a pill,"pitchness" ok you can breath, and the autopilot designed by satan, the Vulcan provides a challenge which I enjoy.

I dont know if i'll ever engineer an MU-2 but it's a hi wing andf i love hi wings, so if i ever do, may i pick your brain?? And no, i promise i wont be satisfied with it till you hate it every bit as much as you hated the real thing and for the samer reasons. :)
Pam

JIMJAM
March 12th, 2009, 13:42
http://www.vrmag.org/issue29/INSIDE_THE_COCKPIT_OF_AN_AVRO_VULCAN_B_2_XL360.htm l

Stumbled across this VR 360 view of the Vulcan cabin.
Click on te link below the 3 preview pictures.

The turbo commander 690s were my fav. We had a dozen mu-2s. Had custom crew doors installed so after they were loaded you had a way out if it caught fire. Lifted straight up.
High wings killed alot of ground crew. One of the mu-2s was once owned by Seaworld and converted to a freighter. A mechanic took that deadly shortcut under the wing doing a full power runup and I heard it from 100 yards away.

Roger
March 12th, 2009, 15:55
Chute works:engel016:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/vulc-4.jpg

ijay
March 12th, 2009, 15:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3iMw7Q7H68:woot::amen::applause::applause ::applause:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4r0Kk-xX4o)

Matt Wynn
March 16th, 2009, 04:44
who was it mentioned RAAF Vulcan..... Just working on the modern low-vis heres a preview...
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/gettinthere.jpg

shackleton_boy
March 16th, 2009, 04:46
but now we need a SAAF Bushwar camo one as well :D

Matt Wynn
March 16th, 2009, 05:30
wasn't the bushwar camo similar to the RAF's fighter command WW2 scheme using the brown and green with Sky Type-S undersides?

tigisfat
March 16th, 2009, 20:20
Can someone post some serious hi-res detail shots?

I'd also love a few from the pilot's normal perspective in the VC, please.:typing:

Ian Warren
March 17th, 2009, 04:38
Of course i had to land in Wellington NZ and debut at the Avalon Airshow
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/1Large-36.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/10Large-15.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/7Large-26.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/2Large-37.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/3Large-36.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/8Large-26.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/13Large-5.jpg
and you may ask what its like to drive ... Well CRIKEY !

kilo delta
March 17th, 2009, 05:12
Beautiful shots, Ian. Makes me want to fire up my sim pc and break my self imposed sabbatical from FSX. :) :ernae:

Scratch
March 17th, 2009, 13:27
who was it mentioned RAAF Vulcan..... Just working on the modern low-vis heres a preview...
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/gettinthere.jpg

Outstanding!!!! I like that one:applause:

Matt Wynn
March 17th, 2009, 14:44
a nice little taster now i'm just waiting for the boss' approval

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/fsx2009-03-1721-33-16-71.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/IRIS-Matt/fsx2009-03-1721-30-23-53.jpg

Scratch
March 17th, 2009, 15:22
That looks much more appropriate for such a wicked looking aircraft. Much better than the salamander scheme or 'wedding dress white':ernae::applause:

And yeah, I know it's not historical, it's just cool!

JIMJAM
March 17th, 2009, 15:23
I want that one and a fictional black one. I love the weathered paints. and would like to see the cockpit weathered a little more.
Wheres the guy who did the Carenado Mooney's interior and aged it a little?

Paul K
March 18th, 2009, 01:48
Very nice work indeed, Smoothie. It looks very effective !

One can only wonder what alternative history could have led to the Vulcan in RAAF service and into the era of low-viz grey paint schemes ? Chinese expansion into South East Asia maybe ??

All we need now is an upgraded glass cockpit. Iris, take note for SP2 !! :d

Matt Wynn
March 18th, 2009, 02:23
yeah imagine if squadrons of these things went operational with various countries and were still flying today... part of the reason i have a tan black and green one in the works, similar style to early B-52 schemes...

noddy
March 18th, 2009, 14:33
My first shot of the old girl

Scratch
March 18th, 2009, 15:55
Outstanding shot!!:ernae:

Matt Wynn
March 19th, 2009, 03:18
time to whack a B-1 style scheme on this bird.....

IanHenry
March 19th, 2009, 10:48
Hi Ian,
Where is the scenery for Avlon airshow available form?

Regards,
IanHenry

Ian Warren
March 19th, 2009, 13:21
Hi Ian,
Where is the scenery for Avlon airshow available form?

Regards,
IanHenry

Link.... http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=9697.0

25.5 meg download . :wave:

IanHenry
March 19th, 2009, 14:13
OK thanks Ian.

Regards,
Ian

noddy
March 19th, 2009, 15:17

Ian Warren
March 20th, 2009, 15:59
Noddy , that is one superb screen , the photoreal scene with the weather with a V

noddy
March 20th, 2009, 16:19
Thanks Ian

guzler
March 21st, 2009, 07:50
One of the subtle things I like about this model is the light shading in the engine intakes. Having intakes that don't have adequate shading in some models I have seen really spoils the realism, but this shows how well it can be done.

djscoo
March 22nd, 2009, 16:39
Here's hoping for a paintkit... this would be a fun one to paint.

Dexdoggy
March 22nd, 2009, 17:07
Just got this and she is a beautiful beast! Reminds me of one of those "21st Century" planes from Thunderbirds! The cockpit is great (bloody hard to see out of though!) with lots of buttons to press if you want stuff to work, and the sound -well it howls! Hope somebody does a RAAF fictional paint! Smudge & Warchild & co - you should be proud! :woot:

Old Crow
September 9th, 2009, 22:58
Wow, I cannot believe how old this thread is. :isadizzy:

I have wondered for a long time what ever happened to the fictional repaints for the Vulcan. I have searched the web as well as IRIS Forums for information on repaints and I have found nothing. How soon we forget, what with so many addons coming out. I don't understand how such an awesome addon just fades away from conversation. :173go1:
I hope Smoothie and Smudge can "please" shed some light on this.

Thank You!

CodyValkyrie
September 9th, 2009, 23:30
I seem to have taken some flak for it, but I still honestly believe this is one of the best addons in the last year. Complex, yet simple and approachable. It struck a perfect chord for me, especially for such a daunting plane.

Quixoticish
September 10th, 2009, 00:58
Wow, I cannot believe how old this thread is. :isadizzy:

I have wondered for a long time what ever happened to the fictional repaints for the Vulcan. I have searched the web as well as IRIS Forums for information on repaints and I have found nothing. How soon we forget, what with so many addons coming out. I don't understand how such an awesome addon just fades away from conversation. :173go1:
I hope Smoothie and Smudge can "please" shed some light on this.

Thank You!

I don't believe there has actually been a repaint kit released yet. I actually fired off a PM to David yesterday asking about it, if I hear from him before he posts here I'll be sure to keep you updated.

Tweek
September 10th, 2009, 04:24
Bought this relatively recently and am as impressed as everyone else in the thread. It's the first large aircraft that I've flown that's actually been fun to fly in every stage of flight.

One thing I will ask though - as a matter of personal preference - is it possible to replace the howl generated at full throttle with the one of the old FS9 PSS Vulcan? I've not been able to locate the .wav files for either of these, so any help in finding them would be appreciated!

Matt Wynn
September 10th, 2009, 04:30
Smoothie Reporting in! paint kit has not been released and is unlikely to be released at this point in time i can release what fictional paints i do have already (Saudi-Air Force, B-1B Scheme, Australian Air Force Low Vis Grey) i'll get on that ASAP away from my FS pc at the moment so don't hold your Breath :icon_lol:

Old Crow
September 10th, 2009, 20:23
Understood Smoothie. :icon29:
It will be awesome to get what you have for the Beast.

jeansy
July 20th, 2011, 04:09
Smoothie Reporting in! paint kit has not been released and is unlikely to be released at this point in time i can release what fictional paints i do have already (Saudi-Air Force, B-1B Scheme, Australian Air Force Low Vis Grey) i'll get on that ASAP away from my FS pc at the moment so don't hold your Breath :icon_lol:

any word on the paintkit ive had a look around and google cant find anything

i want to do the schemes of the birds that saw very short service within the RAAF for the atomic testing in central Australia during 1960 and the other bird in 1969