PDA

View Full Version : OT: Need Joystick

Kiwikat
March 9th, 2009, 00:07
Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of joystick/hotas you recommend. I've currently got a failing saitek aviator and an old broken logitech stick. I also have a working CH Yoke and CH Pedals.

I've thought about the X52 system but it looks too much like a toy. I've heard it has very light resistance on the stick too. That's got to be my biggest complaint. Real aircraft have at least SOME resistance (in fact they have a lot). Why don't joysticks have any?

My only real requirements are that it is around 100 USD or less, has good build quality, and has a throttle built onto it. It should also be comfortable to use with moderate to large-sized hands. A twist rudder would be very nice, but not absolutely necessary.

Thanks! :engel016:

Piglet
March 9th, 2009, 00:34
My main requirement is LOTS of buttons, so I use the Thrustmaster Couger HOTAS setup. But it is over 100 bucks, so that may be off limits to ya. But it does have very stiff springs. Actually, too stiff, as I had to make new softer springs. The FOXY software for programming the keycommands is quite comprehensive, and can do some amazing things.
Just my take on this...

MenendezDiego
March 9th, 2009, 01:31
Do me a favor...save the money for the Hotas. I'm glad I did, and I'll never go back:woot:

Now I lucked out, I was getting ready to buy a new in box one, but opted for a once opened Hotas for 80 dollars (won the bidding war surprisingly)

If you can get your hands on a Hotas Cougar, even to just play with it, you'll see it is the best thing on the market.

As for the springs, yes they are stiff, but you get used to them after a few hours of flying (really great stick for making tiny adjustments, same goes for the throttle)

I love mine, and I urge you, save the money for the Hotas (if you buy anything else, you'll end up buying a Hotas later anyways lol)

Regards, Diego

kilo delta
March 9th, 2009, 03:26
Try to get yourself an MS Sidewinder force feedback stick............these things are almost indestructable! I've mine for ~5 years now and it's still one of the best 'sticks out there.You'll probably find one on ebay

http://www.deafgamers.com/sidewinderff2pic1.jpg

IanP
March 9th, 2009, 04:54
I'm using Saitek's latest Cyborg, the CyborgX, which is an inexpensive stick with a fair collection of buttons on it but most importantly for me, a good throttle on the side, rather than the stupid little front or back sliders which people have been putting onto sticks recently.

It's adjustable to fit your hand, which is useful (I'm the opposite end of the problem, I have small hands and usually can't reach the buttons on sticks - the HOTAS system is utterly useless to me) and the throttle lever also splits to allow left/right engine control if you assign the two sliders independently. It also has a twist rudder and the sides fold round when not in use, reducing the storage footprint a lot - mine goes on a little shelf in front of a load of DVD boxes when I'm using the yoke/throttles or G25 wheel.

Downsides? Because the "head" of the joystick is adjustable, it flexes slightly when you're stabbing at buttons a lot. The sides folding round could also be potential failure points depending on how well the internals are made. I don't know yet. I've only had it since late last year. It also looks like something HR Giger would have come up with. I like it. Not everyone will.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cyx.htm

harleyman
March 9th, 2009, 05:46
I have a Logitec 3D PRO and used it now for 5 years...Never a problem..

It has a nice slider throttle and 10 programable buttons and a 6 way Hat switch...

It does what I want it to do..But I have a basic 2 monitor set up and thats it...

Brian_Gladden
March 9th, 2009, 06:48
My Siatek ST290 was about to die so I picked up a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro at the local Circuit City GOB Sale. I didn't like it at first as the springs were too stiff. it was fatiguing to fly with it. I then had an epiphany and cranked up the sensitivitiy in FS9 and now I like it. the thottle is the only thing I don't care for. while the stick is stiff, the throtle is not. It seems like if you look at it hard, it will change position. Anyone know a way to adjust this?

Brian

Cazzie
March 9th, 2009, 06:51
Try to get yourself an MS Sidewinder force feedback stick............these things are almost indestructable! I've mine for ~5 years now and it's still one of the best 'sticks out there.You'll probably find one on ebay

http://www.deafgamers.com/sidewinderff2pic1.jpg

Concur, but you'll have to get it through Amazon, mine is going on six years, best joystick I ever had, just the right sensitivity and feel, put my Logitech it replaced in the Stone Age. My brother has gone through two Saiteks, I never liked the feel or the response of either.

If you can find a USB 2.0 MS Sidewinder Extreme (non FF, that's worthless anyhow IMHO), get it.

Caz

cheezyflier
March 9th, 2009, 06:58
whatever you do, make sure you get one that is not wireless. i have a cyborg evo wireless and i hate it. the stick is ok, as far as budget peices go, but the wireless part is teh suck. you have to continually "wake it up"
and it eats batteries like candy. when they get weak it stars shifting your view at the most inconvienient times, like when you are on final

Kiwikat
March 9th, 2009, 08:30
Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone have any experience with the CH sticks? The broken logitech one I've got is one of those 3D pro's. I might check out the Cyborg X. I don't really care what it looks like in the end. I just want it to be good quality and comfortable to use.

I have a Force Feedback 2 but I don't think it works on Vista IIRC.

kilo delta
March 9th, 2009, 08:53
I have a Force Feedback 2 but I don't think it works on Vista IIRC.

I'm running my MS Sidewinder II FF on Vista Ultimate 64bit without issue :)

IanP
March 9th, 2009, 09:02
My CyborgX replaced a CH Fighterstick which you wouldn't have problems with, but I could never use properly because all the buttons were too far away for my stubby little fingers. I had to actually physically move my hand around the stick to activate controls. Add to that an issue that the X and Y axes are on two different moving parts, both of which seemed unwilling to leave the centre position and the "throttle" being an imprecise thumb wheel, I only kept using it because all those darned buttons were useful and my ancient Cyborg 3d Gold had stopped holding calibration (it wandered left and no amount of cleaning or recalibrating stopped it).

The CyborgX has been superb so far. The throttles are easy to set and have a firm, but not too stiff, resistance to them (another problem with the CH's throttle wheel - it was too easy to move). I fly helicopters quite a lot and the stick stiffness hasn't caused my hand to hurt so far.

ryanbatc
March 9th, 2009, 09:17
Hey Diego, what F14 is that?

Kiwikat
March 9th, 2009, 09:29
How would I go about installing my Force Feedback 2? The disk doesn't work.

EDIT: I guess plugging it in works lol

Kiwikat
March 9th, 2009, 09:52
Ah I remember why I stopped using it now. Whenever I move the stick to the right it registers as full right rudder and throws my plane way off. My rudder pedals are also dead it seems. They never center properly even after calibrating, and they always register as the brakes being on all the time. :mad:

I guess my search for a joystick continues. That's 200 dollars of stuff down the drain >_<

MCDesigns
March 9th, 2009, 10:23

I take it yours is USB, I have a gamport one and while it works great still, I can't connect it since my PC doesn't have a gameport, tried an adapter from 2 different places and they don't work for crap.

Curtis P40
March 9th, 2009, 10:27
:wavey:Hi Kiwikat
If you have CH pedals, you might have a broken wire in the base. About a month ago I had the same problem with left brake always on, found it to be a broken wire in base from the left pedal. Never had a problem with the centering.
Curt

MudMarine
March 9th, 2009, 10:35
Do youself a favor and buy CH Products equipment.

kilo delta
March 9th, 2009, 11:05
I take it yours is USB, I have a gamport one and while it works great still, I can't connect it since my PC doesn't have a gameport, tried an adapter from 2 different places and they don't work for crap.

Yep...mine is the Sidewinder II with usb. Got it for the bargain price of €25 brand new. I love the force feedback and lack of self centering...adds that extra touch of realism fo me. :)

VCN-1
March 9th, 2009, 11:29
Thrustmaster Couger HOTAS

One of the best purchases I made. The programing capabilities are endless. I like the fact I can load a setting for a Cessna and the next time load a setting for a USN fighter.

VCN-1

deimos256
March 9th, 2009, 12:24
Microsoft FF2, i bought it along with Fs2002, so you can tell how old it is, never a single problem with it. I dont understand how people find FF worthless as it simulates stiffness at diff airspeeds as well as counteracting forces, the only thing thats annoying is the constant back n forth movement when on the ground with a helo

Kiwikat
March 9th, 2009, 12:26
Microsoft FF2, i bought it along with Fs2002, so you can tell how old it is, never a single problem with it. I dont understand how people find FF worthless as it simulates stiffness at diff airspeeds as well as counteracting forces, the only thing thats annoying is the constant back n forth movement when on the ground with a helo

Unfortunately though, mine is broken. As I said, when I move the stick to the right it registers as full right rudder for some reason. I doubt there's a way to fix it too.

I did use it for many years with FS2002 and FS2004.

deimos256
March 9th, 2009, 13:04
i wouldnt know what to do if mine went down, as said before i think amazon has them so id have to whip out my card, pronto