PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm

Gramps
March 8th, 2009, 17:23
I think I tried this a long while ago, but never got to far with it. I think I got a plane into the sim, but could never get it workin right.

What kinda progress has been made of the last few years??

JimC1702
March 8th, 2009, 17:38
I just got X-Plane 9 this past week and I'm enjoying it. Today I bought a pack of Pipers, $14. for 14 planes, can't beat that.

Here's two of them, a Saratoga and a Seminole:

Jim

crashaz
March 8th, 2009, 20:38
Hey are those cloud shadows?

Lionheart
March 8th, 2009, 20:52
Hey are those cloud shadows?

Good eye...!

Yep..

Kiwikat
March 8th, 2009, 21:04
Hey what resolution are those ground textures?

spotlope
March 8th, 2009, 22:19
Kiwikat, I find that the ground textures look pretty good from a distance, but blurry as all heck on the ground. I'd say they're roughly equivalent to FS9 in terms of resolution, or at least thereabouts.

Kiwikat
March 8th, 2009, 22:37
Kiwikat, I find that the ground textures look pretty good from a distance, but blurry as all heck on the ground. I'd say they're roughly equivalent to FS9 in terms of resolution, or at least thereabouts.

Is that the highest setting? It would be fun to mess around with XPlane sometime just to see what it is like. I've got no intentions of switching to it from FSX, but just as I have my eee for playing with linux, it might be fun to play with XPlane for a bit.

Naismith
March 8th, 2009, 23:27
Does it still have that sluggish DOS-like interface or menu system? I used to have version 6 and found that frustrating.

JimC1702
March 9th, 2009, 03:02
Is that the highest setting? It would be fun to mess around with XPlane sometime just to see what it is like. I've got no intentions of switching to it from FSX, but just as I have my eee for playing with linux, it might be fun to play with XPlane for a bit.

By the way, X-Plane runs in Linux, also runs on Macs.

Jim

Lionheart
March 9th, 2009, 03:27
By the way, X-Plane runs in Linux, also runs on Macs.

Jim

I 'think' you have to get the Mac version, seperate boxed item. The one I have is a Windows only version.

I hope to get the Mac version and see how well it plays in Mac mode. I wish there was away (yet) to play it in Mac (from the Windows version).

Bill

JimC1702
March 9th, 2009, 05:15
I 'think' you have to get the Mac version, seperate boxed item. The one I have is a Windows only version.

I hope to get the Mac version and see how well it plays in Mac mode. I wish there was away (yet) to play it in Mac (from the Windows version).

Bill

You are correct. I didn't mean to make it sound like one version worked with all OS, you have to buy the correct version. Still pretty nice for Mac users, though.

Jim

spotlope
March 9th, 2009, 06:03
Austin says you get the all-platforms version if you buy your DVDs directly from him, which I did. The brick-and-mortar stores usually have only single-platform versions.

@Kiwikat - My scenery settings are high enough that even on a rig that runs FSX very well, I keep getting those warnings that the fog is about to roll in because I've got my scenery settings too high.

Boomer
March 9th, 2009, 06:28
I dont think the blurries for the ground texture are any worse than FSX.

Ive got my settings mostly maxed. If you want to know what XP looks like that way just check some of my screenies scattered across this board.

spotlope
March 9th, 2009, 06:45
Bob, I don't see any close-ups of ground textures in any shots here--in fact, few shots in general. Were you talking about this forum or some other one?

VCN-1
March 9th, 2009, 06:54
I just got X-Plane 9 this past week and I'm enjoying it. Today I bought a pack of Pipers, $14. for 14 planes, can't beat that.

Here's two of them, a Saratoga and a Seminole:

Jim

Jim

What site had the Pipers?

I am still trying to stumble my way around.

BTW are you an NA graduate?

VCN-1

Boomer
March 9th, 2009, 07:02
Sorry Bill,

I thought some of my shots had good pics of the ground. After looking I guess they dont :redf:

The closest you get is the !st thoughts thread (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=9199)

I will post some high rez shots this evening.

JimC1702
March 9th, 2009, 07:07
Here's the site for the Pipers:

http://www.c74.net/xplane/_piper.html

No, I never made it to the NA. Wish I had.

Jim

VCN-1
March 9th, 2009, 07:13
Thanks for the info on the Pipers.

VCN-1

ryanbatc
March 9th, 2009, 09:07
Post some VC shots of that PA32 please :wiggle:

JimC1702
March 9th, 2009, 13:40
Post some VC shots of that PA32 please :wiggle:

Here you go:

Jim

Boomer
March 9th, 2009, 16:56
After flying a little I may need to restate my position. FSX isnt as blurry as XP.

Here are some undeited shots. They are to big for SOH

Leaving KLAX with real weather (http://bdweb317145.bluedomino.com/screenshots/Jav1.jpg)

Heading east after passing Big Bear (http://bdweb317145.bluedomino.com/screenshots/Jav2.jpg)

South West od Edwards AFB (http://bdweb317145.bluedomino.com/screenshots/Jav4.jpg)

In FSX the sweet spot is above 5000ft agl. in XP it more like 10k.

spotlope
March 9th, 2009, 17:36
Thanks for posting those, Bob. As a scenery designer, I'm more interested in the actual max resolution possible for ground textures when you're on the -- well, the ground. I agree that from even a modest altitude, the XP groundwork looks pretty nice. It seems to me that when your wheels are on actual terra firma, however, the resolution is pretty apalling. I'm still in the phase of sorting out what might or might not be possible in this version.

ryanbatc
March 12th, 2009, 14:40
Pretty decent VC, for a buck hehe. Are all the planes like that quality-wise?

JimC1702
March 12th, 2009, 15:19
Pretty decent VC, for a buck hehe. Are all the planes like that quality-wise?

Yeah, they're pretty much all the same. Here's one of the Cherokees:

Jim