PDA

View Full Version : A Peek Into My Madness...

N2056
March 8th, 2009, 16:07
This is a classic example of how the Thorp has evolved. The subject is rudder pedals.
The first pic shows what you would see today if you had the Thorp...

Here is how they look in Gmax...

And here is what they should look like...

The pedals are not visible from the normal VC eyepoint, but I have now decided that from the external view
you can see them well enough that I will re-work them per the diagram above :)

SkippyBing
March 8th, 2009, 16:21
Thank God I'm not the only person who does things like that! That means I'm not mad right?

MCDesigns
March 8th, 2009, 16:35
Yep, you are MAD Robert, LOL.

From my perspective, I can see doing more than how they look now, but not to the extent of what they look like in the actual diagram. Just seems like you could get the actual shape and looks without the small details of the linkage/cables, gonna be fun to animate, LOL.

Curtis P40
March 8th, 2009, 17:10
They use to call that "attention to detail." Nowadays I think it's "close enough." Love your Madness.
Curt

mike_cyul
March 8th, 2009, 17:27
Hey, this is FSX: go for it! And with things like TrackIR, users end up seeing a lot more of the cockpit, so it won't be a wasted effort. :)

Really nice! :applause:

Mike

d0mokun
March 8th, 2009, 17:52
It's madness alright, and we all suffer from it in one way or another!

All of the little details are always worth it in the end though.

:friday:

N2056
March 8th, 2009, 18:09
Very Nice!

My kinda modeling :woot:

heywooood
March 8th, 2009, 19:25
I love the behind the scenes look at what goes on in the 3d modeling world...one of the main reasons I reside at this forum is threads like this one - thanks Robert.

Its nice to see WIP's but the additional look at decision making and reference materials WRT what goes in and what can be left out is most interesting. :ernae:

N2056
March 8th, 2009, 20:20
Okay...here is how far I got this evening. I still need to attach the brake cylinders to the upper pedals, bolt it all together, and then get the animations in. Oh, and some textures...and the fittings...and brake lines going through the firewall :typing:

Lionheart
March 8th, 2009, 20:23
Okay...here is how far I got this evening. I still need to attach the brake cylinders to the upper pedals, bolt it all together, and then get the animations in. Oh, and some textures...and the fittings...and brake lines going through the firewall :typing:

Robert,

Great attention to detail man!

Awesome to see...

Bill

mike_cyul
March 8th, 2009, 20:33
Looking great, Robert. Can't wait to see it textured. Kit makers will probably be able to use the model as a reference.

Just thought I'd throw in a picture of the L-4 in Gmax, seeing as us dev's are wanting to be associated with you (hope you don't mind)! Doesn't look that complicated at all from other angles, but I thought this view sort of put some 'art' into the more technical side of modelling.

Mike

N2056
March 8th, 2009, 20:38
Awesome!
Looks like you have a wide screen monitor? I'm on the verge of a big upgrade here that will include one of those :woot:

Kiwikat
March 8th, 2009, 20:40
Awesome!
Looks like you have a wide screen monitor? I'm on the verge of a big upgrade here that will include one of those :woot:

Get at least 22 inches, if not 24. You'll love it. :jump:

crashaz
March 8th, 2009, 20:42
Oh boy... hope I don't go mad with the TBD.

nice work!
:wavey:

N2056
March 8th, 2009, 20:47
Mike, seems only fair that if you showed your mesh I should show mine...:d

mike_cyul
March 8th, 2009, 21:48
Mike, seems only fair that if you showed your mesh I should show mine...:d

Very cool! Thanks! There's almost a 'signature' in the way each person does their modeling. :)

And yes, splurged and bought a 26" monitor (Samsung) - and now I can't imagine how I did things before. For design work it's just awesome. :d

Mike

d0mokun
March 8th, 2009, 22:05
I use a Samsung 26"- SyncMaster 2693HM. Excellent monitor.

grunau_baby
March 8th, 2009, 22:10
Everytime and want to restart my 3D-modelling hobby and stumble over posts like this it throws me back for years, discouraged, degraded...aaaaarrghhhh:faint:

Sorry just a slight attack of selfpitty:d Great modelling work, as a detail-nut it always amazes me how much bigger the attention for small thingys got in recent years. Donīt wanna miss that!

Alex

Lionheart
March 8th, 2009, 22:26
Everytime and want to restart my 3D-modelling hobby and stumble over posts like this it throws me back for years, discouraged, degraded...aaaaarrghhhh:faint:

Sorry just a slight attack of selfpitty:d Great modelling work, as a detail-nut it always amazes me how much bigger the attention for small thingys got in recent years. Donīt wanna miss that!

Alex

Ok Alex.. I am holding this to you!

I want to see a screenshot of your Gmax screen in two days! Doesnt need to have anything on it, just the screen running....!

We are going to get you rolling!!!!!

:rapture:

mike_cyul
March 8th, 2009, 23:17
Ok Alex.. I am holding this to you!

I want to see a screenshot of your Gmax screen in two days! Doesnt need to have anything on it, just the screen running....!

We are going to get you rolling!!!!!

What Lionheart said!

:)

Mike

grunau_baby
March 8th, 2009, 23:30
Letīs see: the work of 5-10 minutes (in my own fav. 3D programm, then impoted into gmax), full of messed up polys, as usual when I go too fast.

I know I can do better, but thatīs a question of time. At least itīs a little recognizable, isnīt it? (or is it a dustbin...?):banghead:

Alex

crashaz
March 8th, 2009, 23:56
I am a ground pounder designer... so aircraft design is new to me too. The guys are more than willing to help out and ask some questions.

BTW Bill (Mr. Lionheart) .. you will be getting some payment from me soon.. in regards to your tutorials... I looked at it and was excited.

Just keep pluggin away GB. This is 2 days of work and learning for me.
Yep I have been playing with wing design... lots of pieces floating around.

I am awaiting a book on TBDs to get more details. :wavey:

grunau_baby
March 9th, 2009, 00:40
Honestly I am more interested in scenery design, seems I cannot shake my architectural background here. So planes - just maybe. But Iīd really like to rework some buildings and cities!

Alex

Piglet
March 9th, 2009, 00:40
No such thing as too much detail, but then again, we may have FSXI by the time you finish that Thorp!
Remember that Taiwan guy building that AIDC Ching-Kuo fighter plane?
Alex, keep at it! We all started somewhere!

Prowler1111
March 9th, 2009, 06:05
James! excelent TBD!, donīt hesitate in contacting me for any help!
..and as someone stated in this thread..this is FSX!, imagination is the limit!
Prowler

MCDesigns
March 9th, 2009, 07:03
Get at least 22 inches, if not 24. You'll love it. :jump:

Exactly, I run a 24 in and the difference, especially in design landscape is outstanding!.

Alex, keep at it

crashaz, awesome, hope it sees FS sooner rather than later!

Mike, the image of the L-4 mesh makes me dizzy, LOL.

Snuffy
March 9th, 2009, 07:37
As a mechanical engineer and a designer of capital equipment and using a cad system all day long you'd think I could handle the job of building aircraft with Gmax ... :wavey:

But I have to confess, I'm just not that much of a "free flow" thinker apparently. I've tried the aircraft thing and just can't get my head around it. :173go1:

So I'm stuck with moving mud. :help:

grunau_baby
March 9th, 2009, 08:51
Yep, same here I guess, those aircraft freeforms are just not square enough for me. I usually did things like this:

Itīs incedible hard to free the mind from engineered simple forms and buildingmaterial and being able to just freely model around. Like a baricade in the head!:help:

Alex

I think I need a 3D-therapy:sheep:

crashaz
March 9th, 2009, 09:42
Normally I am more interested in scenery design as well since tons of people make aircraft. Scenery design adds the feeling of realism to the sim.

In this case however... I have been wanting to see more colorful prewar aircraft. The TBD offers that along with the naval aviation aspect and the opportunity to honor the Torpedo Bombers @ Midway.

That old adage... you get impatient waiting for someone to do something... pick up the book and learn it and then do it yourself. :wavey: