PDA

View Full Version : Common Sense

n147yt
March 8th, 2009, 15:01
An Obituary printed in the London Times - not a joke

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

·?????? Knowing when to come in out of the rain;

·?????? Why the early bird gets the worm;

·?????? Life isn't always fair;

·?????? …and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (i.e. don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (i.e. adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations and programs were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;

I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

-----------------------------------
a BIG Gripe of mine....

Any thoughts folks ? ?
:frown:

Toastmaker
March 8th, 2009, 16:28
Ah. . . sadly, we do morn his passing -

tigisfat
March 8th, 2009, 17:31
:wavey:Many lawsuits that people like to throw into an argument, such as our aforementioned McDonalds/coffee lady, are commonly mistaken. The lady was SEVERELY burnt. SEVERELY. She required surgery. Not only that, but the window attendant caused the spill. The burns were so bad she was unable to work, and culture being what it was at the time, she was fired. Her insurance did not cover her losses, and she exercised her right to recover damages from McDonalds.

It is funny; and I'm not singling you out, but in general we do a lot of griping (myself included) about things instead of going out and making them better. At least this woman recouped some of what she lost, and stopped a large corporation from tossing 200 degree liquids into open windows.

She had every right to sue. Not only that, but she didn't make any money. The 'jillions' she recovered paid for everything in her life she lost from the "little coffee spill".

rpjkw
March 8th, 2009, 20:56
Yes, she was burnt severely, but she placed the cup, containing coffee at 180 degrees, BETWEEN her legs, wearing, as I remember, a dress, and drove off. That was when she inadvertently squeezed her legs together resulting in the styrofoam cup erupting HOT coffee over her legs. McDonalds offered a settlement for close to $300K, but she chose, as was her right, to go to court. The jury awarded I THINK 2+ million in punitive damages; they felt McDonalds didn't give her the respect she deserved. On appeal, the punitive damages were denied and she wound up receiving McDonalds original offer, minus even more lawyer fees.

I don't deny her damages, even 2 miilion dollars, but she was responsible for placing the cup of coffee between her legs. If I remember right, nobody held a gun to her head to do such a stupid thing. She had probably done it with cold drinks many times, but she should have known the difference between hot and cold.

Anyway, she didn't use common sense and THEN blamed McDonalds for her own stupidity.

This happened here in Albuquerque and was closely watched. I've been to that particular McDonalds many times and I've never placed any cup of a liquid between my legs because they can spill and make a mess, or worse.

End of rant. I just wanted to mention the whole story since it's been used and abused so often.

Bob

wombat666
March 8th, 2009, 23:34
"Common Sense" is not very "Common".
At all.
:173go1:

Skyferret
March 9th, 2009, 00:31
Oh look; is that a warning label I see? I guess I better use common sense.

Piglet
March 9th, 2009, 00:49
Tigisfat, they would've loved to have you on the jury!
Skyferret, go ahead and open it! Might make millions!

Snuffy
March 9th, 2009, 03:17
Yea! ol' common sense will be misssed ... actually he's been mia for some time now. :faint:

lifejogger
March 9th, 2009, 03:56
Common sense is related to common experience. What is common sense to you may not be common sense to someone who has not had the same experiences in life.

txnetcop
March 9th, 2009, 05:05
n147yt you nailed this one right on the head:amen:
Ted