PDA

View Full Version : How do ya'll handle new drivers for your graphics card?

Odie
March 8th, 2009, 05:46
Do you update as soon as they come out?

Do you wait a while and see how everyone else's machine reacts to them?

Just curious as my current nVidia drivers are dated 12/2008 and there's just been a new set released.

jmig
March 8th, 2009, 06:00
I don't do nutin, until I have a problem. If it ain't broke...

stovall
March 8th, 2009, 06:06
My current card is Nvidia and I check the Nvidia site about once a month. When the new drivers show up I givem a try. I understand the "if it aint broke" philosphy but video drivers are not like updating your Bios. Sometimes with new video drivers you get an increase in performance. If not go back to the old set.

Regards, Tom

cheezyflier
March 8th, 2009, 06:19
lucky for me, my card is sooo obsolete, they don't release new drivers for it anymore. :costumes:

harleyman
March 8th, 2009, 06:56
I don't.....

These work...Thats good for me....:woot:

Odie
March 8th, 2009, 07:13
Thanks for the replies....My last PC was still running the original drivers (4 years old). I wasn't sure if these newer generation cards benefited by newer drivers that popped out in close order.

Guess I fall into the catagory of "if it ain't broke"..... Once I get it tuned and looking nice, I'd sure hate to have to go back through the whole process again..

limjack
March 8th, 2009, 07:17
Here is the last driver I downloaded (175.19) and it has worked out fine for me with the 8800GTX. I did try another driver shortly after that but blue screen city and went back to the faithfull driver and staying put.

Jim

noddy
March 8th, 2009, 07:28
I am currently running 182.08 for the Nvidia cards, and runs very well.

hey_moe
March 8th, 2009, 07:42
I like trying the new ones the day they are released...this includes the beta ones too.:woot:

Rimshot
March 8th, 2009, 08:19
The minute I hear or read about the release of a new driver I'm of to download and install. I own my current PC since March last year. I've never done a rollback so far :)

stansdds
March 8th, 2009, 13:57
I update when there is a good amount of proof that a new driver is stable and faster over a variety of games. If I read a number of bad reviews, I won't install.

6297J
March 8th, 2009, 14:12
With FS9 and a tired old computer I stuck with the same drivers for years but with a new PC, a very powerful card and FSX I download, read the readme and if I like what I've read, install straight away. Like you Rimshot - I've never regretted it so far.

Cazzie
March 8th, 2009, 15:07
I always end up testing the new drivers, but also always maintain a backup instakll of the current working ones. I installed the latest 180 drivers a couple weeks ago over 179.24 and they're super, no problems at all.

If the latest drivers don't deliver, I uninstall them and go back with the last good working set I had.

Caz