PDA

View Full Version : FSGenesis-Hawaiian Waterfalls.

jimdbird
March 7th, 2009, 20:05
<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Looks like Justin has been busy.:surfing: I hope he continues improving <st1:state><st1:place>Hawaii</st1:place></st1:state>.

http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Cheers,
Jim

jmig
March 8th, 2009, 06:17
Yes, I agree. He is still working on the V2 of Alaska, also.

harleyman
March 8th, 2009, 07:01
I'm still waiting for all my DVD's from my order...

However..I did order *wait* and I have the downloads..but I never thought 7 months later I would still be waiting...LOL

It shows two falls in his pics..They look a tad cheesy to me...But... I have points earned still and will more than likely download them too...:ernae:

datter
March 8th, 2009, 07:18
I came this close to ordering FSGenesis recently, but the continual mentioning of "plateaus" around airports really bugs me. I mean, the terrain shots look great and all but honestly I've got no idea what the hills look like in any given part of the world (aside from my own area), so I'm not sure being perfectly accurate matters to me that much anyway. It's not like I'll be flying over Germany thinking "hey, these mountains aren't quite as high as they should be" but I would notice any large plateau area around any airports I came across.

Boomer
March 8th, 2009, 07:21
Allegedly the plateaus have been corrected.

I cant speak from personal experience though as I am waiting for V2 to be finished before I buy it :whistle:

datter
March 8th, 2009, 07:24
Allegedly the plateaus have been corrected.

I cant speak from personal experience though as I am waiting for V2 to be finished before I buy it :whistle:

I've read as many people say that as I have people complaining they're still present so who knows. It's definitely putting me off, though I understand why they exist and how hard it is to fix 'em all. Like I said, I may not be able to appreciate how accurate any given terrain is on the other side of the world but I'd definitely notice if an airport is sitting up on a 60ft high plateau. :)

Maybe I'll ask about the plateau status on the forums over there.

heywooood
March 8th, 2009, 08:10
yes - I have FSGenesis V2 where available and the problem still persists although it has been addressed - in some cases that means solved and in many cases it means some type of 'blending' has been attempted to reduce the 'appearance' of a plateau or the other situation - the runway in a ditch -

The result is that more work needs to be done and a V3 eventually....

...but the benefits outweigh the problems if you want decent terrain in FSX

the ridgelines and mountains in FSX default in 90% of the world look like green sand dunes and mounds - all rounded off and unsightly as opposed to FSGenesis...where the world looks right...whether up close or against the far horizons

heywooood
March 8th, 2009, 08:28
I think the problem may be difficult to crack in that the way FSX modeled the airfields as 'hard decks' with fixed and flat elevations - whilst the rest of FSX terrain is not firm or fixed and can be modified to match actual elevation charts and maps and satellite geophysical data, the airports and strips in FSX are set in stone to the point that if they are wrong in elevation - the ones that are too low are in a ditch and the ones that are too high are plateaud.

One of my constantly offered rails against FSX is the lack of a realistic firmament that you can land on without sinking into or dissapearing under completely, or belly onto and dig a nice proper furrow into - the ground in many places is not there..it isnt solid. This would be fine if one could change the airport and landing strip elevations I suppose but it would be better if the terrain mesh was the same firmness as those hard decks and ALL could be reassigned with a program like FSGenesis - I think this would also cure the shoreline issues as well.

Make the terrain first - then cover the oceans and rivers and lake regions etc.. with water - not the other way around with the land masses 'floating' on top of the water.