PDA

View Full Version : How I Spent the Morning

TeaSea
March 7th, 2009, 15:53
Not to bore anyone, but this is a capability with the new GPS I have and Google Earth. This is my flight this morning in a Cessna 172. I know it looks like I'm lost, but actually I'm working on my instrument rating and this track includes several approaches.

My instructor and I thought this was pretty neat.

Snuffy
March 7th, 2009, 15:56
Very Cool! :woot:

Wulf190
March 7th, 2009, 15:56
be nice to compare it which an approach chart. I can kind make out what looks like three different approaches you were doing. But that's still awesome!

GT182
March 7th, 2009, 15:59
Now that's neat. Sure takes the guesswork out of which way and how to get there to land. ;)

Lionheart
March 7th, 2009, 16:29
How on Earth did you get that map to create your flight? is that a GoogleEarth program?

Very cool what ever it is...

I love doing instrument flights in FS. Hard not to look at the GPS or the Map to see where I am. :d Riding the VOR's and using only radio VOR freqs is very difficult unless you know what you are doing. Triangulating is good to do to help you know where you are on a 'real' map.

Also, if you have TileProxy, you can use ground scenery to help, but then that doenst help you so much with instrument flying. arrghh..

Bill

Boomer
March 7th, 2009, 17:06
Pretty slick!

Looks like it was tracking altitude as well.

TeaSea
March 8th, 2009, 06:24
Pretty slick!

Looks like it was tracking altitude as well.

It does track altitude, and I'm told it will color code either speed or altitude, although I've not figured out how to do that. The GPS is a Bendix KingAV8OR which keeps a track of your travels by marking a fix every minuted or so and saving it on the flash memory. You just hook it up to the PC and copy the file, associate it with Google Earth and up it comes. You will note that I have also thoughtfully provide you with all the local lodging:wave:.

Wulf, I started with ILS 05 into Lakeland (KLAL), then requested two full VOR approaches into 27 at KLAL, followed by a turn to the North and back to the VOR for a hold on the 60 Radial, finally ending up with an NDB approach back into my home airport of Plant City (KPCM). If you look at the approach plates they all look pretty good 'cept the first VOR 27 back into Lakeland -- on the way out I started tracking the wrong radial, and caught it about 2 minutes after the outbound leg. My correction is pretty obvious if you look at the looped procedure turn back in. My CFI is pretty cool and he just said "I was wondering when you were going to figure that out." On the next one I pretty much nailed it. I went a little further East on the outbound to lose some additional altitude since ATC put us higher on that approach.

All this took 1.5 hours from engine start to engine cut.

Lionheart, I'm sure there's a way to track flight sim journeys and poke it into google earth as well....I'm just not smart enough to figure it out. It would be a nice enhancement to the SIM though, and I could track my new Kodiak over the mountains.:woot:

I have found FSX to be very helpful in IFR training....lot cheaper too.

demorier
March 8th, 2009, 16:55
Also I don't fly anymore I thought it had some great potential in aviation navigation. I thought it would be much more of an aid navigating in remote areas in VMC where there is few ground objects on maps to nav by.

TeaSea
March 9th, 2009, 15:50
When I getting my basic license a few years back, I used FS9 to get oriented on any new airfields I was flying to.

Kind of helps your confidence to know what things are going to look like.