http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29566891/

:applause:

Snuffy
March 7th, 2009, 14:57
:applause::jump:

GT182
March 7th, 2009, 15:01
:woot: :amen: :applause::applause:

Now someone has to take down eDonkey and the other pirate sites.

azflyboy
March 7th, 2009, 15:13
I'd give it a week before all of those files are available again, since seizing a server from a torrent site is mostly an annoyance due to the fact that anyone who has any of those files can simply seed a new torrent.

GT182
March 7th, 2009, 15:17
I'd give it a week before all of those files are available again, since seizing a server from a torrent site is mostly an annoyance due to the fact that anyone who has any of those files can simply seed a new torrent.

All too true.

Kiwikat
March 7th, 2009, 15:20
Even if it is just a temporary blow, it is still a win. It is nice to hear some good news these days.

MCDesigns
March 7th, 2009, 15:29
Even if it is just a temporary blow, it is still a win. It is nice to hear some good news these days.

Agreed, BUT why'd they let the guy go, he admitted he was in charge of the server??!! Throw him in a dark hole for the rest of his life!:karate:

azflyboy
March 7th, 2009, 15:46
Agreed, BUT why'd they let the guy go, he admitted he was in charge of the server??!! Throw him in a dark hole for the rest of his life!:karate:

My guess is that whoever ordered the raid did it as a publicity stunt, since actually convicting someone of anything related to file sharing is extremely tricky, and probably not worth the time, effort, and money required to go through a full court case.

I'd wager that the only charges possible in a case like that (where there aren't physical copies of media being made) are very similar to the "making available" argument the RIAA used in the US, and that tactic was dismissed by judges twice over here.

The raid really sounds like it was done as some kind of warning, but I can't imagine it being effective, since the massive "sue 'em all" campaign attempted in the US did nothing to prevent the amount of P2P traffic from skyrocketing the entire time the lawsuits were being filed.

Lionheart
March 7th, 2009, 16:25
Cool!

I hope this starts to become a daily action against pirate servers world wide and I hope that the judicial systems start hitting these thiefs with with proper charges.

They 'are' stealing, they 'are' distributing stolen merchandise... Same as going to a Walmart, stealing Printer ink or DVD's or computer games and then either selling them or giving them away to the public. Very exact same
thing....

Or just have a Piracy detention fascility in China and send them there for 5 years each.

Bill

Panther_99FS
March 7th, 2009, 17:22
"16,000 full length movies"....

stiz
March 7th, 2009, 22:21
i give it a a couple of weeks till its all up and running again :kilroy:

stansdds
March 8th, 2009, 03:23
He should have been arrested and charged with piracy. Letting him go only makes it a financial penalty in that his computer was confiscated.

Nausicaa
March 8th, 2009, 03:45
Its a fight against windmills. The world doesn't stop getting connected more and more, ad the web will be faster and faster...and avialable everywhere for free, just like radio, and faster than today. The only way to ensure payment for music, films and other will be to take an amount at the source from the beginning. like a tax payment.