PDA

View Full Version : More Alpha Sim Liberators

glhorton
October 10th, 2008, 17:30
I've continued to paint a variety of B-24s. My latest have all been from my father's 380th Bomb Group based out of Darwin, Australia and Mindoro in the Philippines. The 380th underwent three distinct forms of tail markings during the war. Between Jan Kees Blom and myself, we have most of them represented in the Alpha Sim model.

The 380th was fortunate enough to have a handful of very fine artists within the Group. Thus its pretty easy to pick up some of the finer ones to do repaints upon. "Queen Hi" came from the 529th BS, "Net Results" was a 528th radar ship and "Shy-Chi Baby" is pictured as it was painted to fly back to the US after the war.

"Kate Smith" was another Ploesti raider from the 98th BG which was lost with Lt James Deed's crew.

I will be posting these soon.
Gary

Flyboy208
October 10th, 2008, 18:07
Nice job on the repaints here! Mike :wavey:

huub vink
October 11th, 2008, 01:27
Beautiful repaints again Gary, Thanks!

Huub

S
October 11th, 2008, 03:36
Awesome. Thanks a bunch Gary!

casey jones
October 11th, 2008, 08:25
Gary,

Many thanks for the re-paints, I am at the momet looking for a picture of Lt Jessie Red Franks's B-24D that went down at polesti 1 August 1943, he was I think a navigator on a aB-24 called...and here it is hard to remmenber how to spell it "The Encylotron"??? Lt Franks was able to push his bombadier out of the nose wheel hatch but was to low for him to jump. I got this from the book " Poesti" whic is still in print I had the book for years then with moving I loss it.

Cheers

Casey:icon_lol:

yago9
October 11th, 2008, 10:02
Gary,

Many thanks for the re-paints, I am at the momet looking for a picture of Lt Jessie Red Franks's B-24D that went down at polesti 1 August 1943, he was I think a navigator on a aB-24 called...and here it is hard to remmenber how to spell it "The Encylotron"??? Lt Franks was able to push his bombadier out of the nose wheel hatch but was to low for him to jump. I got this from the book " Poesti" whic is still in print I had the book for years then with moving I loss it.

Cheers

Casey:icon_lol:

:icon_lol: it,s not called polesti nor Poesti...It,s Ploesti.
http://www.americainwwii.com/stories/raidinruins.html

glhorton
October 11th, 2008, 13:15
Casey:

The aircraft that you are referring to is B-24D-75-CO 42-40612 "Euroclydon" from the 328th BG, 93rd BG and was flown by the Lt Enoch M. Porter Jr crew. "They took a direct hit before the target which ignited the bomb bay fuel lines. The aircraft was seen to climb to about 300 ft. Three of the crew, including the wounded navigator were able to bail out successfully and were made prisoner. The bombardier also bailed out but his parachute did not open. Two gunners are also believed to have made unsuccessful attempts to parachute. The aircraft crossed the target area and broke up in the air before crashing in flames near the village of Piopu, north-east of Ploesti, hitting a house. Eight crewmen were killed, five bodies never being recovered." ......The Ploesti Raid, through the lens by Roger A Freeman, p.123.

Good luck in your search for a good picture of the ship. I would be interested in seeing it.

Gary