PDA

View Full Version : Nvdia Driver failure in Il2

gigabyte
March 7th, 2009, 11:27
I just did a complete reinstall of Vista, and in the process I "Upgraded" to the latest Force ware 181.22 driver, (I use a GT9600 card) now I am getting frequent lockup with IL2. The error message states the Video Driver has stopped and recivered, however, I am locked out of the game, and have no mouse control. I can shut down the game with Task manager and the keyboard, but it generally happens in a few minutes. Anyone have any Nvida/IL2 tips that might help with this one?

I am using NHancer and it did profile the card nicly for the game, the quality and performance is excellent, and I have no problems with Lock on or FSX, so there is something in IL2 that the new driver does not like... I wish they would just play nice...

Mike "Ears Hopin" P

stansdds
March 7th, 2009, 12:31
182.08 WHQL is actually the newest Nvidia driver, you might want to try it as it seems to have a very good reputation for a great number of games.

gigabyte
March 7th, 2009, 16:46
Well it looked good for an hour, but I am still getting a Driver failure. Weird, I have tried all my other games and no problem, the only thing I can think of is the stencel buffer, I am going to look into the config files and see if I can adjust that a little and get it stable???

Wish me luck...

"Ears Hopin"

Persecutor
March 7th, 2009, 22:20
If you google that problem, you'll find it a widespread issue. Folks blame it on a lot of different things; drivers, video card, installation, OS. No one really seems to know what is causing it or why.

I had the same issue using Vista 64 and an 8800 GTX. It really didn't matter which driver version I used, or how I installed and uninstalled, or whether I used a brand new OS installation or after OS updates. It was very frustrating.

I've solved the problem, but I'm not sure precisely *what* the solution was since I did so many different things.

I believe that the problem has its roots in Vista's file permissions. I changed every owner and permission on every folder in my system to Admin with full access rights. I did that in SAFE mode. It's tedious as the dickens, but it solves a lot of problems. It also defeats M$'s efforts at security and protecting ourselves from ourselves, so if you are going to follow my lead, make very certain your machine is otherwise secure.

I also turned off Indexing (Windows Search), Ready-Boost, and made system restore points manually. My Vista machine now hums along nicely and I have no more White screens and video driver crashes, and no more halts mid-game while Search indexes my drives.

Hope this helps. It worked for me; it might not for others.

Nausicaa
March 8th, 2009, 00:44
Run IL2 in OpenGL. Should always run in it anyways.

corpse grinder
March 31st, 2009, 20:54
I had problems with the newest drivers as well. I got constant micro stutters and small freezes. I rolled back my drivers and it seemed to work. I think nvidia is having some major problems with their Vista drivers. I am on Vista 32 and can no longer play Battlefield 1942 no matter what drivers I use. The game loads fine but once I get to the main menu I can hear the music playing and hear the click boxes....but its just a black screen. A shame really....even though its old...BF1942 is still one of my favorite games online.

Persecutor
March 31st, 2009, 21:30
There are several good tutorial-type instructions on driver updating on the web. Guru3d has one, for example.

Or you can try mine (http://352ndfg.com/smf/index.php?topic=1637.0). In my experience the issues you describe are most often the result of the method used in driver updating.

Hope this helps.

Kahunamon
April 7th, 2009, 00:30
I had similar problems and they were due to power supply problems when I was overclocking my video card with an inadequate PS. Also since it happens after a certain amount of time it could be heat related. What is
your GPU temps when running IL-2 ?

Dimus
April 7th, 2009, 04:29
I had similar problems and they were due to power supply problems when I was overclocking my video card with an inadequate PS. Also since it happens after a certain amount of time it could be heat related. What is
your GPU temps when running IL-2 ?

I think you've hit the nail there. I am also having these driver failures with a 9600GT and I think thay are related to power supply. I have a low power supply and I am running the game with joystick, pedals, TrackIR and WiFi. Sometimes the TrackIR stops working and I restart it by unplugging the usb port and reattaching it. Sometimes the GPU stops and this is much harder, especially if you're online.

Gigabyte, can you please tell us the wattage of your PSU?

redriver6
April 7th, 2009, 09:30
ditto...you need lots of watts...

gigabyte
April 7th, 2009, 14:02
I think you've hit the nail there. I am also having these driver failures with a 9600GT and I think thay are related to power supply. I have a low power supply and I am running the game with joystick, pedals, TrackIR and WiFi. Sometimes the TrackIR stops working and I restart it by unplugging the usb port and reattaching it. Sometimes the GPU stops and this is much harder, especially if you're online.

Gigabyte, can you please tell us the wattage of your PSU?

Interesting thought, I did upgrade the PSU when I installed the video card, it is a fairly good unit, (I honestly forget the brand) it is puttin gout 750 Watts, so I thought it was up to the task? I am not having any problems in FSX, or others games, and IL2 was running fine until the driver update? I do have plenty of gear connected to my system, - 2 keyboards, X52 Joystick/Throttle, + seperate Throttle quadrant, and I am kind of heavy on the Hard Drives, 2 @ 1TB, plus 1 500gb, so power is a possibility, although I don't see the things I would expect, like CTD in FSX or other games, and I am running most of my accessories on a seperate powered USB hub.

Oh and temps, I am pretty good there, the highest recorded core temp has been 48 on the CPU, and the GPU temps rarely get over 40.

Thanks for the imput folks, I will set up a monitor and log the PSU output and try to see if it is stressed, if that does not work I will roll back the driver and see what happens.

gigabyte
April 7th, 2009, 14:13
There are several good tutorial-type instructions on driver updating on the web. Guru3d has one, for example.

Or you can try mine (http://352ndfg.com/smf/index.php?topic=1637.0). In my experience the issues you describe are most often the result of the method used in driver updating.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch Persecutor, I meant to reply sooner, I saved your instructions and will try that as well. I have always used a process that is in effect very simular to yours, I actually clean my old drivers by booting from the Ultimate Boot CD4 Windows and using preboot environmet tools to clean things up, it is not for the faint hearted, but it does work very well.

Dimus
April 8th, 2009, 03:38
OK, I think you can rule out power then. If you have 750Watts then I guess you have ample supply of power. I have much less. My temps are also similar to yours. Maybe it is a driver issue then. Looking forward to your rollback. On the other hand I will give the newer ones a try and let you know.