PDA

View Full Version : Our Own Sim Wish List.... SOH FS :)

Lionheart
March 6th, 2009, 09:14
Hey guys,

What if.........

What if we had the capability to make our own sim (game) engine, and could write our own code and could create it the way we wanted....

What would you put in it?

Here's a list of my own 'wishes'...

* Easier to manage/program airfiles
* Changeable Auto-Gen
* Extremely fast frame rates
* Non DirectX reliant so it could be compiled for Mac and Linux OS platforms
* Weapons capable
* Be able to get out of your plane and walk around it and paruse an airfield, etc.
* Have hybrid propulsion options..

Bill

gajit
March 6th, 2009, 09:23
I'd like to land helicopter on top of a skycraper pad - then take lift down to lap dancing bar :friday:

N332DW
March 6th, 2009, 09:46
lionheart , you hit 7 outta seven for me

Kiwikat
March 6th, 2009, 09:48
My main wish is that everything would be to scale. I'm tired of having a cessna 172 the size of a two story house, and a helicopter that nearly spans the whole block where I live.

The whole world like FTX AU would be nice too ;)

emorris
March 6th, 2009, 10:09
I think that the capability to add and expand on the program would be important.

datter
March 6th, 2009, 10:18
I'd settle for an aircraft manager that didn't take forever to load, and allowed for quick and easy searching/sorting through all your installed aircraft. While we're at it I'd also like the ability to keep a flight log per aircraft, available from the same screen.

Carvalho
March 6th, 2009, 10:31
Lionheart and Gajit wishes, and a good damage model, for emergency, not only ''crash'' or ''aircraft overstressed''

gajit
March 6th, 2009, 10:57
Lionheart and Gajit wishes, and a good damage model, for emergency, not only ''crash'' or ''aircraft overstressed''

Yes - your emegency damage model would be good :applause:

DaveWG
March 6th, 2009, 10:59
VTOL:rapture:

Snuffy
March 6th, 2009, 11:26
combat / civil abilties seperate from the other.

Lionheart
March 6th, 2009, 11:31
VTOL:rapture:

I cant believe I forgot that...

Another thing that would be cool.....

One airfile form of entry that isnt in Hex code or any other form of code. Not a dual system, but just a single system file.

This way, anyone can tune the plane, no special editing tools required.

stansdds
March 6th, 2009, 11:37
I think A2A Simulations is really onto something with their AccuSim system, so an ideal sim would include realistic start, operating, and shut down techniques as well as a muffling of sounds when canopies or windows are closed.

harleyman
March 6th, 2009, 12:42
I want to be able to contact ATC and declare an emergency, and get all that crap out of my way cause I'm comming back real quick.....:applause:

Most of all it would be real nice to have a Sim that just installed and worked for all... No tweaking, no questions asked...No need to learn how a computer works, or how to rewrite configs struggeling to get that darn stutter gone...

Ahhhh The perfect sim...

chinookmark
March 6th, 2009, 12:47
AI traffic, or at least the capability to add AI traffic. And if we're going nuts -- road, sea and rail traffic, too.

Could this sim use material available for MSFS? I'm just thinking companies like FSGenesis and UTX have already done the research and compiled the data, so perhaps the sim scenery engine should be able to read the same type of data as FSX.

chinookmark
March 6th, 2009, 12:48
Maybe we should talk to these guys:
http://www.flightgear.org/

JT8D-9A
March 6th, 2009, 12:56
Mine should be a really sophisticated platform and not only a collection of nice "on-off" features.
Ai Traffic and blend masks would be very important for me and there should be no advertisement in it.

Mithrin
March 6th, 2009, 13:19
Dynamic waves! I'd love a more realistic floatplanes approach!

Dangerous Beans
March 6th, 2009, 13:30
Dynamic waves! I'd love a more realistic floatplanes approach!

I like that, not just for the float planes but imagine trying to trap on a carrier with a real heaving deck.

MCDesigns
March 6th, 2009, 13:52
Here's a list of my own 'wishes'...

* Easier to manage/program airfiles
Not to much interest to me as I don't spend any time on them, but would like to have space flight, so I guess that falls in line with this.

* Changeable Auto-Gen
Already possible with either different GUIDs or the autogen annotater

* Extremely fast frame rates
This is pretty much any game on the PC, LOL, but I do agree.

* Non DirectX reliant so it could be compiled for Mac and Linux OS platforms
Won't happen as long as MS is involved, but I also would love to see OpenGL also.

* Weapons capable
HELL YEAH!!!! with proper damage modeling and easy to program/setup.

* Be able to get out of your plane and walk around it and paruse an airfield, etc.
YES!!!!!! I have always wanted a first person "person" view that can be toggled off when you climb into the cockpit. I had several bush fields setup in FS9 with perfect scenery/sounds/ai and it was a complete joy to sit on the front porch and watch the world go by at these little spots.

* Have hybrid propulsion options..

yep, see point number one. Would also like proper VTOL and AI heli, spaceship, etc airfiles.
Bill

In addition, I would like to see cloud shadows on land/water with the appropriate shadowing effects because of it.

more of a living world, more variety of vehicles, more birds, people, etc.

BETTER water!! the shots I see of XP9 show some amazing water, would love that with better wave action, white caps, swells, water effects over coral/reefs.

Much better shadowing/lighting in the cockpits. You see dramatic lighting on sunny days in real cockpits, just look at any interior shot on airliners.net.

People in the aircraft, believable, realistic looking people that interact with you in the aircraft. granted this can't be done they way it is modeled now with the hardware available, but with different techniques and bette hardware, definitely doable.

I agree on the better ATC and the ability to declare emergencies

Weather effects on the aircraft from the VC, rain, ice, etc.

If i was designing a sim engine, I would do a world sim, not just flight. the ability to drive around realistically, the ability to have space travel, the ability to sail on the water and even dive below it.

ah, to dream.................................

EgoR64
March 6th, 2009, 13:57
:wavey:

More animated peoples in the library..

Traffic on my moving carrier..

Damage Control..

More beer !! :friday:

Cheers !!

Railrunner130
March 6th, 2009, 15:29
It would be nice to be able to import aircraft from other sims.

I'll go along with what Michael said about a more intelligent ATC feature with new capabilities. I'd like to be able to do GPS approaches and more realistically practice for instrument operations.

Additionally, it would be nice for temperatures and field elevations to be taken into account when it comes to performance.

I enjoy flying in real time weather. It would be nice to be able to save a (for example) 6 hour weather pattern from a hurricane and be able to incorporate it into a mission or flight.

Marvin Carter
March 6th, 2009, 16:25
Side Slipping!!!!!!

Marvin Carter

heywooood
March 6th, 2009, 16:43
Jet engine heat blur...

big radial exhaust flames at engine start..

wind GUSTS that can be set to a high / low or random...

Slanting / driving rain/snow and HAIL...like squalls...

different engine / wind audio levels with the cabin door open or in open cockpit vs closed aircraft...as it is now the sound is unchanged and thats just wrong...

More atc chatter and the ability to declare an emergency as others have noted..

Interactive terain and aircraft damage models - I would really like to belly in to a pasture or tomato field in FSX or whatever and leave a furrow behind along with a few strewn pieces of airplane..maybe some smoke and awhatnot

Better rendering of shorlines and cliff faces PLEASE

Better utilization of the lighting features for night flying

Chacha
March 6th, 2009, 17:04
Be able to wait for my limo service and have a barbeque with friends in Venice! or Paris! while waiting for the crew to jet wash my ride!

Eli

Lionheart
March 6th, 2009, 17:23
Be able to wait for my limo service and have a barbeque with friends in Venice! or Paris! while waiting for the crew to jet wash my ride!

Eli

lol... There yah go!

I think alot about flying, that I can see you guys (and girls) are also seeing in FS is that alot of it isnt just about actually flying the plane, but seeing the world and wanting to see it better.

Most of all it would be real nice to have a Sim that just installed and worked for all... No tweaking, no questions asked...No need to learn how a computer works, or how to rewrite configs struggeling to get that darn stutter gone...

Ahhhh The perfect sim...

Harleyman

Yes!!! lol.... I have had to learn to put in my own computer parts, learn adjustments of configs, learning basic adjustments of OS systems (adjustment of ram, etc), tuning of GC's, all to make FS run faster.. I have become a very basic computer tech because of it, lol....

Having such a super sim be able to run on all computers, fast, clean, great, would be awesome.... very very very awesome...

Bill

Prowler1111
March 6th, 2009, 18:06
..a computer that can run all that stuff with decent fps...:woot:.
Prowler

limjack
March 6th, 2009, 18:55
I would like a virtual hanger for all my planes. One that I could walk around in and see my collection in 3D and board if I wish. Then Taxie it out and fly.

Jim

Brett_Henderson
March 6th, 2009, 19:00
A agree with most of the stuff posted... I'll add my quirky desire..

Any time you save a flight, that airplane becomes static scenery.. Like, if you fly your Mooney into a certain airport; land; park, and save the flight... And then later fly into that same airport in a different airplane, the Mooney will be were you left it... AND.. I'd like to be able to "climb" out of the plane I'm flying, and climb into the Parked airplane and fly it (and of course the plane I got out of would stay there)..

chinookmark
March 6th, 2009, 19:19
Any time you save a flight, that airplane becomes static scenery.. Like, if you fly your Mooney into a certain airport; land; park, and save the flight... And then later fly into that same airport in a different airplane, the Mooney will be were you left it...

Yes! I've wanted something like that for a while! Imagine this in conjunction with a failure/wear & tear system like Accusim, and actually getting stranded places!

hobofat
March 6th, 2009, 19:45
I'm voting for a world-sim based on real world physics models where you could just as easily have an 'as real as it gets' car as an 'as real as it gets' plane.

It would have to be scaleable for different things people want to do with it, so a super complex city for driving but then be able to tone that back when flying, etc.

Bone
March 7th, 2009, 04:19
All great ideas, especially the lap dancing one. But it sounds like alot of work, for a good many people, over a very long time.

kilo delta
March 7th, 2009, 04:26
Side Slipping!!!!!!

Marvin Carter

Already available...see www.realair.com :)

I just want photoreal graphics everywhere.....a complete virtual reality experience :engel016:

stiz
March 7th, 2009, 04:30
enough manpower to do it all so i dont just have to dream it and have to continue being frustrated thinking about "what it could be" :engel016:

FAC257
March 7th, 2009, 04:48
different engine / wind audio levels with the cabin door open or in open cockpit vs closed aircraft...as it is now the sound is unchanged and thats just wrong...

The A2A P-47 with Accusim has this feature already.

That's always bothered me also that the sound didn't change when you opened and closed windows & canopies.

Lionheart
March 7th, 2009, 09:58
enough manpower to do it all so i dont just have to dream it and have to continue being frustrated thinking about "what it could be" :engel016:

There is an army (studio full) of designers in Romania waiting.. They did work on MSTS. Super high detail buildings, cars, things like street lights, etc.

I just want photoreal graphics everywhere.....a complete virtual reality experience

Kilo Delta

Me too! lol.. Once you go photoreal, you never come back..

Perhaps for a world sim where you have detailed streets and things, one could have the sim engine code do a 'mode switch-over' or a setting, where when you are say 20 feet or lower over the ground, the world scenery switches from say 100 miles draw distance, to 5 miles or less draw distance (maybe even 2 miles, not including the sky though, and distant mountains, but have the distant mountains click into low resolution).

With that new ground based mode, you have objects appear, and a texture set and detail range that cue's up (boots up or switches on) that would go ultra high detail on ground scenery.

The setting could be adjusted in the settings center so that people that fly Helos or Cubs (low and slow) could have it running when flying low.

I had always thought that it would be cool to make driveable scenery in FS... Driving through a street in Rome to get to an airport, then fly out, would be about the coolest thing.

Could you imagine a sim that comes with a SmartCar!? lol... woo hoooo! For WWI scenery, you could have little ole Didion Boutons and Citreons in the airfield.

Bill

stiz
March 7th, 2009, 13:12
Could you imagine a sim that comes with a SmartCar!? lol... woo hoooo!

o great thats all we need, after putting up with all those nosiey jets we then have to put up with hairdryers on wheels! :173go1::costumes:

heywooood
March 7th, 2009, 13:53
more helio-centric ATC - I want to get clearance to take off from the Helipad in my Helicopter one time

Piglet
March 8th, 2009, 01:14
Autogen matching real world photo scenery, vectored thrust, mixed powerplants, toebrake ani's, ROCKETS(FSX gave us space, now can we please get there?)
Now I know XP9 has most of these features, but it's SO ugly!
And heck, just streamline the whole model/texture/spec/bumpmap process.
And as noted, real damage models, and option for combat. Not really full on combat (enough other sims for that), but like XP9, kind like a Red Flag exerise, with simulated "kills". Engines quitting, "kill" beacons flashing, etc.
Oh, and much better ground handling, with thought put into tire traction, nose wheel steering, braking, etc.

cheezyflier
March 8th, 2009, 06:35
sir lionheart, i gotta give you props. you are always looking to the future.

Lazerbrainz2k3
March 8th, 2009, 07:28
In addition to hybrid propulsion, increasing the number of possible engines would be nice, to better enable aircraft like the Hughes Hercules, B-36 and XB-70.

guzler
March 8th, 2009, 13:03
The most important thing.......the same key commands as MS Flight sims !!!!! It would take me ages to get used to new key commands :ernae:

Bjoern
March 9th, 2009, 09:35
- Extremely dense autogen. One tree IRL, one tree in the sim. One house IRL, one house in the sim.
- No more ground texture tiles with road overlays. Gaps between water bodies and roads are filled according to landclass information.
- Weather engine simulating wake turbulence, wind shear with *real* 3D clouds (like in IL-2) with cloud shadows.
- Sophisticated damage system.
- Trains and cars.
- An AI traffic system allowing holding patterns, diversions and delays.
- Continuous, free updates and patches instead of a new version every couple of years.

Etc...

SkippyBing
March 9th, 2009, 11:17
- Extremely dense autogen. One tree IRL, one tree in the sim. One house IRL, one house in the sim.
- No more ground texture tiles with road overlays. Gaps between water bodies and roads are filled according to landclass information.
- Weather engine simulating wake turbulence, wind shear with *real* 3D clouds (like in IL-2) with cloud shadows.
- Trains and cars.
- Continuous, free updates and patches instead of a new version every couple of years.

I think that's called real life. Except the updates aren't free.....

Lionheart
March 9th, 2009, 13:12
- Trains and cars.

Etc...

Especially that very last one Bjoern!

Especially that....!

Its as big if not bigger and if not more sophisticated then vista, and vista had updates every 2 weeks, lol...

SkippyBing
March 9th, 2009, 14:27
Yeah, I have a sneaky suspicion it's an attempt by MS to make money and fund future development, mad crazy b'stards.

guzzi
March 9th, 2009, 15:08
Weather engine the will allow 'proper' soaring with thermals, ridge and wave lift!

Runways that aren't flat but follow the contours of the land like RL.

Lionheart
March 9th, 2009, 18:41
Runways that aren't flat but follow the contours of the land like RL.

X-Plane has this, by the way. Can get bumpy...

Bjoern
March 10th, 2009, 06:31
I think that's called real life.

I know. The graphics surely are nice and photoreal, but the gameplay blows big time. Doesn't even have quicksave and respawns. :(

Seriously, I bet my sorry arse that all of the things on my list can be fulfilled more or less easily with today's hardware.

Its as big if not bigger and if not more sophisticated then vista, and vista had updates every 2 weeks, lol...

Yep.

Especially since continuous support can give a quite considerable boost to the fan bese's size.

I don't want to step on Microsoft's toes, but I somehow feel let down in terms of support for FSX. Even after two huge service packs, there's still countless of bugs in this sim which were reported to the developers, but never fixed because of a tight schedule (e.g. the non-working pitot heating switch in the CRJ's VC).

Good examples for long-lasting support are for example Starcraft and Strike Fighters. The latter got released in 2002 and received it's latest (and final) update in 2008 - that's six years of shelf life. Starcraft is unbeaten though. Over ten years on the market and the last patch that I know of is from 2008. Okay, Starcraft has an insanely large fanbase (Korea...), but Flight Simulator's sales should be more than enough to justify this kind of policy.

SkippyBing
March 10th, 2009, 06:42
Strike Fighters is a slightly unfair comparison as Third Wire have often introduced new features as part of a new product e.g. Wings over Europe, based on the original engine and then upgraded the previous games to the same standard, they aren't relying on continued sales of Strike Fighters to fund the upgrades.

OBIO
March 10th, 2009, 06:43
What I want more than anything is the ability to have the seats in my 747 filled with people...people who scream. That way when I am once again compelled to try doing a hammerhead stall in a massive tube liner, I can have a couple hundred frightened voices screaming "We're going to die! We're going to die! WE'RE GOING TO DIE!" It's a sickness I have.

OBIO

kilo delta
March 10th, 2009, 06:53
What I want more than anything is the ability to have the seats in my 747 filled with people...people who scream. That way when I am once again compelled to try doing a hammerhead stall in a massive tube liner, I can have a couple hundred frightened voices screaming "We're going to die! We're going to die! WE'RE GOING TO DIE!" It's a sickness I have.

OBIO

If you want a tubeliner full of screaming passengers then get the Accusim'd B377 by A2A. :)

Bjoern
March 10th, 2009, 15:41
Strike Fighters is a slightly unfair comparison as Third Wire have often introduced new features as part of a new product e.g. Wings over Europe, based on the original engine and then upgraded the previous games to the same standard, they aren't relying on continued sales of Strike Fighters to fund the upgrades.

Once again, I bet that the MSFS franchise raises more than enough funds to justify long-time support.

And if one's *that* desperate for money, there's still the possibility to sell official add-ons with new content.
Like "Acceleration" for FSX. Except that new sim engine features (like Acc's sling loads) should also be made avaiable as an update for the "standard" users.

Railrunner130
March 10th, 2009, 18:06
It was sort of touched on a while back- if you skid on landing, it leaves permanent skid marks in the scenery. Perhaps also an option where AI only uses an airplane once and flies it to random airfields within it's range and speed performance.

Also better seaplane support. Amphibious aircraft that land wheels up on water and wheels down on land. Seaplanes would use "the step". Also, a way to tie up at buoys and docks.

Bjoern
March 11th, 2009, 08:19
Reading Railrunner's reply...

- A "waypoint" system for the AI. For those formation canyon runs...

stiz
March 11th, 2009, 11:57
Once again, I bet that the MSFS franchise raises more than enough funds to justify long-time support.

obviosly not enough funds seeing as how they layed off aces :engel016:

Lionheart
March 11th, 2009, 11:58
We need to start getting this baby going!!

We need some code writers...!

We need to keep all this written down and start moving on it..

Bill

Bjoern
March 11th, 2009, 12:18
obviosly not enough funds seeing as how they layed off aces :engel016:

There could have been other reasons, e.g. "fresh team - fresh start".

We need to start getting this baby going!!

We need some code writers...!

We need to keep all this written down and start moving on it..

Or browse over to FlightGear and give them a hand.

Railrunner130
March 11th, 2009, 16:10
Bjoern has a very, very, valid point about Aces. But, let's please stick to the subject.

:ernae:

Dexdoggy
March 12th, 2009, 14:12
It would be really nice to have some Aussie accents for pilots and ATC! (All those Canadian voices really get to you after a while! :costumes:)