PDA

View Full Version : A question for real-world pilots

FlyTexas
March 6th, 2009, 06:23
What is the term for airport employees who work on the ramp? You know, the guys who drive the tugs, marshall the aircraft to their parking spots, etc? I've always refered to them as "rampers" but I'm sure there is a more proper term. Thanks!

Brian

luckydog
March 6th, 2009, 06:52
My title was an airport "line-man". (summers in H.S. and College)

viking3
March 6th, 2009, 07:47
Over the years I've heard them called rampies, ramp-rats, baggage-handlers or my personal favorite baggage-smashers.:kilroy:

Regards, Rob:ernae:

BPbobafett1982
March 6th, 2009, 07:59
At least that is what my work title was during my 3 years working for the local FBO at 47A.

Brian_Gladden
March 6th, 2009, 08:15
I was a Line Service technician...

We referred to ourselves as Line Techs

The Airline guys are a little different. I know the Jet Blue guys are called Customer Service Agents, weather they work the counter or throw bags.

Brian

FlyTexas
March 6th, 2009, 08:58
Thanks for the help fellas. I appreciate it. :wave:

Brian

Joe P
March 6th, 2009, 12:02
Ramp Agent is also a common used title

viking3
March 6th, 2009, 12:15
All kidding aside, my union brothers at Air Canada are called Station Attendants if they work the ramp and Customer Service Agents if they work in Cargo or at the Baggage Desks in the terminal. The guys work real hard here in Winterpeg under some very extreme conditions.

Regards, Rob:ernae:

tigisfat
March 6th, 2009, 15:23
in the USAF, these guys are responsible for handling, inspections and maintenance and have been referred to (by themselves only) as gods of the aviation world. Everyone else calls them crew chiefs. Dyess doesn't paint pilot names on aircraft, only crew chief names because one dedicated crew chief is solely responsible for each aircraft's overall condition.

srgalahad
March 7th, 2009, 04:24
In the tradition of garbagemen who became 'sanitary engineers' we became SPITs

Samsonite Product Indestructibility Testers

GT182
March 7th, 2009, 15:50
When I worked for the local commuter airline up north, we were called everything but what Viking said. And that was from the passengers. ;) Our buddies in the Flight Service Station upstairs had some other imaginative names for us too. But seeing this is a family oriented forum, I can't elaborate. If I did, I'd be the one who gets shot. :costumes:

Wulf190
March 7th, 2009, 16:01
Ramp agents, Line agents, Customer service agents and the list can go on and on.:focus: