PDA

View Full Version : Switching OS

Rezabrya
March 5th, 2009, 18:52
I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I need an answer. I need to do a clean OS install and I was thinking about switchibng back to XP pro until windows 7 come sout and has the bugs worke dout. I currently have vista ultimate 64 bit and 8 gigs of ram. I want to buy XP pro 64 bit but it seems to only come with sp2 installed. I was wondering if after installing this I can installl sp3 on 64 bit XP pro? If i could get 64 bit XP pro sp3 I would be a happy camper.

harleyman
March 5th, 2009, 19:22
I believe that XP Pro 64 bit only will accept up to SP 2

If you have never used XP 64 all I hear about it is not good..

I say stick with what you have or use XP Pro SP3 (32) and pull some ram till the new Windows is out...

txnetcop
March 6th, 2009, 02:17
Raptor Harleyman is right on XP64, however you can run Windows 7 beta for FSX now and it works fine but I would stick with Vista as the upgrade will be much easier unless you don't mind having to do a completely new install when Windows 7 is released-which by the way, will probably be sooner than expected.
Ted

noddy
March 6th, 2009, 03:29
Another daft question on window 7. I am currently running Vista 32 bit, what would I need to do when Windows 7 comes out would I need to uninstall Vista or does the 7 install take care of that?

harleyman
March 6th, 2009, 05:18
No Its a whole new OS...You will need to uninstall what you have now, format that drive , then install Windows 7..

Or you could set up a dual boot deal....If you know how...

kilo delta
March 6th, 2009, 05:31
Are MS still giving out licence keys for Windows 7? I'd like to give the 64bit version a try. :)

noddy
March 6th, 2009, 05:43
Oh boy, think I will stick with Vista!

harleyman
March 6th, 2009, 05:55
Are MS still giving out licence keys for Windows 7? I'd like to give the 64bit version a try. :)

I read where they were done putting it out now...

harleyman
March 6th, 2009, 05:56
Oh boy, think I will stick with Vista!

Why? W7 will be sweet I hear...:wavey:

noddy
March 6th, 2009, 08:14
For a a guy who has no knowledge in this type of thing, it sounds scary!

harleyman
March 6th, 2009, 12:10
Oh Noddy...Its so simple to install a new Operating system...We can walk you thru it when you are ready...Its just a few key strokes actually...

We will help....:wavey:

Wulf190
March 7th, 2009, 16:13
I have heard Win7 should be out by September. I'm an XP guy and thought about getting a XPpro with SP3 disk, but I have been hearing very good things about Win7 so I may just hold off.

harleyman
March 7th, 2009, 16:14
I have XP pro SP 3 and love it..

however I'm getting Win 7 and dual booting ...Yea buddy

Wulf190
March 7th, 2009, 17:15
I have XP pro SP 3 and love it..

however I'm getting Win 7 and dual booting ...Yea buddy

XP is the best M$ OS out right now. But unfortunately it's days are numbered. I really do hope Win7 will be the new XP. I plan on getting the 64bit version if it is so.

Rezabrya
March 7th, 2009, 17:15
I really wish that Windows xp had a decent 64 bit version because i have 8 gigs of ram. I may just take out 4 thought and switch back to xp pro sp3. Vista is not all it is cracked up to be...Oh wait, Vista isnt cracked up to be anything!

Kiwikat
March 7th, 2009, 22:35
I really wish that Windows xp had a decent 64 bit version because i have 8 gigs of ram. I may just take out 4 thought and switch back to xp pro sp3. Vista is not all it is cracked up to be...Oh wait, Vista isnt cracked up to be anything!

Vista is fine. It works perfect on my computer as you know (and has been working perfect on yours until recently). 64 bit Ultimate is the best OS I've ever used. Most stable, most compatible, easiest to use, and even good looking. You had an unfortunate bug or something happen to your system that has nothing to do with Vista. We have nearly the same hardware, but I don't have the problems with the same software you are having problems with. I'm sure you understand this though as I've said it to you a million times on MSN. :engel016: