PDA

View Full Version : MS Sidewinder 2. Anyone have one to sell?

Navy Chief
October 10th, 2008, 15:47
I am wanting to get another MS Sidewinder Pro 2 (USB) force feedback joystick again (had one many years ago), but refuse to pay what the sellers want for the darn things on Ebay.

Anyone have one to sell at a reasonable price (i.e. cheap!):)

Navy Chief

brad kaste
October 10th, 2008, 16:05
Navy Chief,
I know what you mean about the ridiculous prices that are being asked on Ebay for one. I tried buying a FF Sidewinder Pro2 for my nephew a few years back. When the bid price went up to that of a gold brick I canceled out.
Good luck in your search.

kdl
October 11th, 2008, 00:55
Hi,

cheap or reasonable is always a relative term.

I just checked ebay.com and I found a "buy it now" offer for $40,00

Navy Chief
October 11th, 2008, 05:22
Too much, KDL. I guess the Sidewinder is a collectible now. I actually found a Sidewinder Pro at at thrift shop the other day, but it wasn't the forcefeedback model. It was only $10.

NC

Corsair 14F
October 11th, 2008, 05:54
never quite understood why MS gave up on the SW series, most products were very good.

Still the happy owner of SW II (no FF) and proud of it.

Wulf190
October 11th, 2008, 08:12
I currently use a Saitek X-52 HOTAS, but I still have a M$ Sidewinder PP2 (non-FFB). It still works like a charm and I still think its one of the best sticks ever made. I never could understand why M$ stopped making them.

PutPut
October 11th, 2008, 09:25
never quite understood why MS gave up on the SW seies, most products were very good.

Still the happy owner of SW II (no FF) and proud of it.

I am still using the SW II (no FF) and I think I will retire when it does!

Paul

smilo
October 11th, 2008, 10:14
I saw one a few weeks ago at Goodwill for $5.
I highly recommend going there and checking it out.
you never know what you might find.
the stock changes almost daily.

It almost sounds like I could go into business:jump:

Willy
October 11th, 2008, 14:35
I'm using a SW Precision Pro I (non-FFB) that's about 10 years old now. It's still going strong, but it also gets an annual maintenence check too. I've got a Saiteck Cyborg as a backup, but I dread the day the SW gives up the ghost.

Willy
October 11th, 2008, 16:31
Here's a couple of websites that deal with the MS Sidewinder repair/maintenance

http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/OddEnds/SW3D.html

http://zapp.koolbear.com/

Navy Chief
October 11th, 2008, 17:54
Ok then, since the MS Sidewinder IIs are so expensive, what about a force feedback Logitech joystick?

They are much less expensive, but anyone have one, and what are your opinions?

I am only wanting a force feedback stick for occasional use. All my controllers are CH Products, and am quite happy with them.

NC

Flyboy208
October 11th, 2008, 17:58
Ok then, since the MS Sidewinder IIs are so expensive, what about a force feedback Logitech joystick?

They are much less expensive, but anyone have one, and what are your opinions?

I am only wanting a force feedback stick for occasional use. All my controllers are CH Products, and am quite happy with them.

NC

I have one of these Chief and I love it. Best joystick ever! Mike :wavey:

Willy
October 11th, 2008, 17:58
Only FFB sticks I've had are another Sidewinder I and that Saitek mentioned above. I couldn't recommend the Saitek to anyone and keep a good conscience. And I had to do some soldering on the Sidewinder to keep the FFB power connected to the stick. I really don't miss Force Feed Back.

smilo
October 11th, 2008, 19:52
I put my Force Feedback on the shelf a couple years ago and use a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro.
I've got 3 of them.
My #1 still has the Goodwill price tag stuck on it.
$3.99

modelr
October 12th, 2008, 05:15
I gave mine to a friend when I got my Saitek X45, (since upgraded to X52) in exchange for some electronic work. He still uses it.

Willy
October 12th, 2008, 10:14
Just my two pence, but while you might pay a bit more for a MS Sidewinder, they're worth every penny. This has got me to thinking about picking up another Sidewinder or three.....

brad kaste
October 12th, 2008, 10:53
When I heard that MS would be dropping their controller hardware line of goodies,.....I beat a hasty retreat over to CompuUSA to pick up a spare one. Fortunately,....they had some SideWinder FF2 units still in stock. And at a discounted price to boot.

smilo
October 12th, 2008, 11:21
Willy,
that's good advice.
I plan on picking up everyone I see from now on.
another source would be the pawn shops,
although, I would imagine they might have a better handle on their worth.

Willy
October 12th, 2008, 11:26
Brad, that was how I got the one I'm using now. I already had the FFB stick that I paid over $100 for and I found the regular one on clearance at WallyWorld for $20 in '99. The power supply on the FFB went dead after a couple of years, but the stick still worked. When I installed the software on this computor in '02, it wouldn't accept the FFB stick with a dead power supply. So, I got the new non-FFB stick out of the box and have been using it since.

Willy
October 12th, 2008, 11:28
Smilo, I've got another non-FFB that I picked up at a yard sale that worked when I tested it out a couple of years ago. Just not sure where I stashed it. I think it's probably in the attic with the old FFB stick.