PDA

View Full Version : Were it not for flight simulation.....

Navy Chief
March 4th, 2009, 10:08
I would lose my grip on reality.

Maybe it's just an electronic gaming way of "putting my head in the sand".

But it does provide an "escape" of sorts from the madness that is so pervasive right now.

Total immersion. Yeah, that's it; that's the key.

NC

TARPSBird
March 4th, 2009, 10:44
NC, I know how you feel. In my life there's not much I have control over anymore - just go day-to-day, work, pay bills, have a few laughs, drink a few beers, etc. In flight sim I can launch out of Atsugi about 1000 on a nice clear morning and buzz Mt. Fuji in a Zero or a F8F, nice little trip away from reality. :)

Odie
March 4th, 2009, 10:46
Gotta agree with you, Chief ! Whatever the method, everyone needs a diversion from the world for a little while...be it simming, reading, movies...sometimes you just get overloaded with endless 24/7 news cycles and with all the demands on your time.

Just check-out for a short while to at least concentrate on something that gives you some enjoyment and allows for the moment, the rest of the world to take a backseat !

Snuffy
March 4th, 2009, 11:06
*spits the sand outta his mouth*

Hunh? what? there's a world out there besides flight simming? I'll be damned! :d

Yer right.

Buddha13
March 4th, 2009, 11:17
? There is a world outside Flight Simming,Really,Your not just saying that are you.

Buddha13

Pepere
March 4th, 2009, 11:29
Right on Chief!

David :typing:

lifejogger
March 4th, 2009, 12:15
:amen:

My wife says I use it for and as an escape mechanism and she is correct.
It is away to get away from the real world for a few hours. I wish I could do it more than I do.

Crusader
March 4th, 2009, 12:37
:amen: I totally agree with all of the statements above !

Rich :applause:

WarHorse47
March 4th, 2009, 15:42
Count me in. I couldn't agree more. :Banane37:

--WH

crashaz
March 4th, 2009, 16:19
Well this hobby virtually guarantees I never get my head out of a computer since I work in code in real life.

However it is good to escape the other stuff agreed. :ernae:

Cazzie
March 4th, 2009, 17:21
There's an ol' sayin' whar Ah com' from Chief:

"A man marries a woman hoping she will never change and she eternally does.

A woman marries a man hoping he will cheange and he never does!"

We are all somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-years old at heart and stay that way! :fishing:

HdzdEQOHL_I

Caz

OleBoy
March 4th, 2009, 17:27
eehH hawwW!!

That guy rocks!!

Lionheart
March 4th, 2009, 18:06
Nothing like a good, calm flight in the sim, checking the countryside from the sky, watching the clouds moving past, checking the engine gauges and watching the VOR needles...

If I go to the airport for lunch, I'll glance at a plane that has caught my eye and wonder if its out in the sim world yet and what it would fly like..

Thank the Lord for FS...

:rapture:

Navy Chief
March 4th, 2009, 19:58
All was well with my system until about two hours ago. Tried to reboot in my newest hard drive (recently formatted and installed Vista Ultimate, FSX) But now it won't even boot. I think I jinxed myself!!!!

:banghead:

Ferry_vO
March 5th, 2009, 03:43
For me it's the other way around; every time I fly in real life and look out of the window, I think:"That's a nice scenery, and what a great framerate!"

:costumes:

Panther_99FS
March 5th, 2009, 05:25
Hopefully I'll be back flying this month....:kilroy:

jhefner
March 5th, 2009, 08:33
For me it's the other way around; every time I fly in real life and look out of the window, I think:"That's a nice scenery, and what a great framerate!"

:costumes:

I've looked a beautiful sky and thought "Gee, that looks just like Flight Simulator." :friday:

Lionheart
March 5th, 2009, 09:28
I've looked a beautiful sky and thought "Gee, that looks just like Flight Simulator." :friday:

lolol.....

Same here.. Going to the airport, my mind is going.. 'how would I put that in FS? Check that out.. that would be cool in FS.. '

The sim-itis, level 5, extreme....!!

Wulf190
March 5th, 2009, 09:37
Ya know, there is no better destresser then pulling the trigger and watching a target go BOOM!:woot:

Navy Chief
March 5th, 2009, 11:35
Quite often when I hear a particular song, I think how great it would be to accompany a flight sim video. For example the theme song for the move Patton......I think would be perfect for a WW2 aircraft video.

mu11QRO9BrQ

and of course, "The Great Escape"

CjF8sjuPLxU

TARPSBird
March 5th, 2009, 11:55
Quite often when I hear a particular song, I think how great it would be to accompany a flight sim video. For example the theme song for the move Patton......I think would be perfect for a WW2 aircraft video.
One of my favorites is the theme from "Battle of Britain":
http://home.comcast.net/~freewebman/war/ww2/battle-britain.mp3
Edit - and the Luftwaffe March, also from "BoB":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTFRjW28mTQ

Navy Chief
March 5th, 2009, 13:33
One of my favorites is the theme from "Battle of Britain":
http://home.comcast.net/~freewebman/war/ww2/battle-britain.mp3
Edit - and the Luftwaffe March, also from "BoB":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTFRjW28mTQ

und dann gibt es dieses:

WbHh-VmtL9Y

TARPSBird
March 5th, 2009, 19:54
Panzerlied - another good one. I would need a motivational march like that just to get my a$$ inside a tank. :icon_lol:

Lionheart
March 5th, 2009, 21:18
Gut Deutsch and gut Filme!

Years ago, I had Panzer Commander.. Loved that game. Especially playing online. I could at least compete now and then.

Janes WWII fighters had a great 'Battle of the Bulge' war scene.

Bill

wombat666
March 5th, 2009, 23:07
"Were it not for flight simulation....."
I probably wouldn't have become an rFactor enthusiast.
:kilroy:

Chacha
March 6th, 2009, 04:31
Thank God it's Friday! I fly (sim) on Fridays .... the whole Friday ...from the time I open my eyes till they shut! (or till I feel nauseous) Work? I can slack a little bit!

Eli's my name and simming is my game!

cheezyflier
March 6th, 2009, 06:22
being an immigrant bum, i fly every single day

and still manage to flub my landings :costumes:

Daveroo
March 6th, 2009, 07:07
i must admit if it werent for my simulators id be lost,though i spend alot of time in chat as well..
i have FS9 and FSX but i use FS9 exclusively
i also have ship simulator which is fun for a short time
and i have train simulator,its new/old to me..i had it with my old system but wouldnt run so i removed it..then the disc's were taken when i had my rv worked on..they took several things..i bought it again and installed it on my new rig and run everything maxed out and it screamsssss.....:woot: cool thing..i found a fairmont speeder for it..its alot of fun to take the speeder and just explore..throw a switch and follow it to the end ect.....blast

Willy
March 6th, 2009, 07:34
Flying in FS is relaxing to me. Bad weather and other inconviences just keep it "interesting".

rpjkw
March 6th, 2009, 07:37
My great love has always been aviation. My medical was pulled 11 years ago and being permanently grounded would be horrible were it not for FS. What little sanity I still have is thanks to FS.

Bob

sgtreilly
March 6th, 2009, 07:55
I'm a teacher. A 10th grade English teacher. That being said, you would not believe the time I spend at home correcting essays. Often bad essays. Many times I sit at my desk with a stack of essays, vocabulary quizzes, or tests in front of me and, of course, the computer on. I'll pick an aircraft and fly from the closest field that will Handel the ship I've chosen. Most of the time it is from the Hopedale Industrial park. I always pick the exact time and weather going on. I take off, get to altitude, set my mixture, and set my auto pilot. I can now correct. My wife thinks I'm playing "that game" again. I explain that I am trying to see where I could have gone if I were not correcting and caring about papers that most of my students didn't care about when they wrote them. I can do a vocabulary quiz while flying form Hopedale to Knox County Maine. Nice place, Maine. Simming is another reality.

Semper Fi

Wiens
March 6th, 2009, 08:04
"Were it not for flight simulation......"

I'd have more money in the bank!! Flight simulation, and now racing simulation like Wombat, has exacted a toll on my cash flow for hardware improvements. But, don't anyone tell my wife!!!!........

My beautiful wife thinks I'm nuts and "wasting time" with flight simming. It's a job stress reliever for me......until I "Panther" a landing!

Kevin

Navy Chief
March 6th, 2009, 14:51
I spend more time downloading and installing files, than actual flying. I guess it's just my thirst for the "perfect" addon, and the "perfect" tweak tip.

But still, I search!!!!

Ain't it fun?

NC