PDA

View Full Version : Organizing addons and files. Never able to.

Navy Chief
March 4th, 2009, 07:31
My computer room, most of the time, looks like a low-yield nuke hit it. It's the one room in our house that is cat-free. It's my room; my man cave.

But along with the physical mess, my computer files (specifically flight sim addons) are also in disarray. I keep telling myself I need to get organized, but just don't know where to begin!

I have four hard drives. Three have XP Pro installed, with FS9, FSX, and one without games. The fourth drive has Vista Ultimate. I still have a boot problem, in that I get a screen that offers a choice between Vista, and XP drives, but the XP drives will not boot from that screen. If my Vista drive is connected, I am only able to boot into that. Long story, and still haven't found a solution.

I have copies of the same files on all the drives. Aaaaarrrggghhh!

Have always been somewhat disorganized, but this is getting ridiculous!:banghead:

NC

harleyman
March 4th, 2009, 07:53
Pete.....

I would pick an OS and stick with it.... I would advise this...And its just my opinion...LOL

Keep XP for now...Its slick and streamedlined for FSX already...

Loose Vista for now...The new windows is due out in a year, more or less...Thats what I'm after anyways

So...Drop the one OS and use XP, wait for the next Windows ...

In the meantime , clean up your drives......

A look into my world .......

C) Drive 300 Gig V-Raptor OS----Applications---FSX----ONLY

D) Drive 150 Gig Raptor FS9....Other not so needy games and FSX textures back ups

E) Drive 650 Gig Seagate Storage...System Backups

Thats my uncluttered mess.... I store all my payware installers onto my E Drive ...And a Removable 110 Gig for security ...

Navy Chief
March 4th, 2009, 09:50
I don't think I could ever get that organized. But I appreciate your ability to do so!

I actually like Vista 64. Didn't think I would. But all in all, it has been running great. The only problem I have, is figuring out why I can't get the other drives to boot on startup. Am not giving up; just taking a break from it!

Pete

Kiwikat
March 4th, 2009, 10:05
I actually like Vista 64. Didn't think I would. But all in all, it has been running great.

As I've said in many other threads and forums, Vista Ultimate 64 is the best and most stable OS I have ever used. I also like Ubuntu which is on my EEE netbook. Using XP at school makes me cringe. It is WAY too old now.

Glad you're enjoying it :)

Dangerous Beans
March 4th, 2009, 10:45
navychief, if your motherboard supports it which most do try pressing F8 when you first turn on the PC, you should get a menu that allows you to choose which drive you want to boot from.

Snuffy
March 4th, 2009, 11:15
Again I say ....

A clean uncluttered desk is a sign of a sick mind ...

I have the same theory about the directory of one's harddrives!! :)

harleyman
March 4th, 2009, 11:16
Again I say ....

A clean uncluttered desk is a sign of a sick mind ...

I have the same theory about the directory of one's harddrives!! :)

:friday: :monkies:

Navy Chief
March 4th, 2009, 12:48
navychief, if your motherboard supports it which most do try pressing F8 when you first turn on the PC, you should get a menu that allows you to choose which drive you want to boot from.

Oh, you don't know how much I wished it was that simple. I've tried everything possible. No luck. If I disconnect that drive from the system, all is ok. Weird.

Have thought about taking my system to a tech up in Murphy, NC (close by), but just ain't got around to it.

Pete

harleyman
March 4th, 2009, 15:08
Pete...The OS that will not launch, that drive it sits on , did you partition it before you installed the OS on it when it was new?

Or just format it?