PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new wireless card for pc

stiz
March 3rd, 2009, 11:02
Had to move the pc cos i was painting the wall, no problem, unpluged it all and covered it all up, noted where it was before by the clean bit of carpet, painted the wall, put everything back, booted up and waited for the dreaded test, would i get an interent connection .. answer .. no ... which you would have thought i would seeing as how it was fine before i moved it ...

... just one of the many times this things annoyed me to screaming frustration, it seems that every time i have to move the pc i have to put it in a different spot to be able to get any sort of decent connection, which normanly means it has to sit higher than me or be level with me. At the moment i have it next to me level with my ears with the rear faceing me and all the air being blown straight onto me .... far from ideal .... thing is .. the laptop we have works fine where ever you put it, but the other pc also has problems as well (vista but useing the same card) ....

I've tried bigger arieals and such but that doesnt help one bit. Now, is it the card in the pc ... or is it that our router (BT Home Hub thingi) doesnt like sending out a signel to anything thats below waist height and wieghs more than it does??????????? Would another card help or am i forever stuck breathing in recyled heated air???

David_L6
March 3rd, 2009, 11:22
If you don't want to change out everything you have, try to find a "range extender". That cured a problem I was having on one wireless system I set up.

I've set up wireless at two different houses using all U.S. Robotics "Max G" parts except for a wireless Dell printer. The printer has whatever brand card that came with it and is the main thing that has given me problems.

I ended up adding a range extender at the other house I set up because one of the computers was so far away from the router that it fairly regularly lost signal / connection. The range extender solved that problem.

I've used U.S. Robotics' router, USB adapters, PCI adapters, and the range extender for several years now and all have been reliable and trouble free.

http://www.usr.com/maxg/maxg.asp?loc=unkg

stiz
March 3rd, 2009, 11:55
would range be an issue even though the main hub is within arms reach of me rooms door?

David_L6
March 3rd, 2009, 13:18
would range be an issue even though the main hub is within arms reach of me rooms door?

I wouldn't think so.....

stiz
March 8th, 2009, 11:15
fixed, just brought another card :)