PDA

View Full Version : RE:MS DirectX End-User Runtime download?

brad kaste
March 3rd, 2009, 05:49
Hi All,
I'm sure it's been out for some time now, but I just caught it. That is,....MS has an app called Microsoft DirectX End-User
Runtime that would update the current DirectX9.0c.
Is it worth downloading to install and what positive or maybe negative effect does it have in FS9? And if there is a glitch,
does one have the ability to uninstall it?

Tako_Kichi
March 3rd, 2009, 06:51
Hi All,
I'm sure it's been out for some time now, but I just caught it. That is,....MS has an app called Microsoft DirectX End-User
Runtime that would update the current DirectX9.0c.

DX9c is updated every couple of months but unfortunately MS refuses to increment the suffix letter so that you can easily tell what 'flavour' of DX9c you are running. This makes it difficult to know just which version you have and on one of the combat sims I help to develop it is critical that you have a minimum of a specific release in order for the sim to run. To compound the problem DX9c is never included with the monthly XP updates although a recent release was included in XP SP3 so if you have that you are fairly current.

If you go to 'Start/Run' and type in 'DXDIAG' and hit 'Enter' the DX diagnostic program will start and on the bottom of the first page your installed version is displayed. If you have XP SP3 installed this should be version 4.09.0000.0904. It would appear that it has not been updated since Nov. 08 which is slightly unusual as four months is a long time to go without a DX9c update.

Is it worth downloading to install and what positive or maybe negative effect does it have in FS9? And if there is a glitch,
does one have the ability to uninstall it?

Some 'flavours' of DX9c had little effect on performance and were mostly internal bug fixes/changes while others made a huge difference in terms of FPS in some games (but not others for some reason as it all depends on which components of DX9c the game engine uses). I saw a couple of releases in 08 that made a huge difference to the performance of certain games with a 10-15% increase in FPS and much smoother graphics in FSX for example. I have yet to see a DX9c release that made things worse, they either stay pretty much the same in terms of performance or show a distinct improvement. There is NO way to uninstall a DX9c update so if you are worried create a 'restore point' prior to installing an update and then if you don't like the result you can always revert back to your restore point and be back at square one.

Hope that helps.

brad kaste
March 3rd, 2009, 08:56
Tako_Kichi,
Thanks for your input. Yes,...I have the current version of DirectX,.....409.0000.0904. So I'll download/install this DirectX End-User Runtime app. But set a restore point first.
-Brad

Tako_Kichi
March 3rd, 2009, 09:55
4.09.0000.0904 is the CURRENT version (i.e. the Nov 08 release) so downloading the runtime version and installing it will achieve nothing as you are already up to date.

The runtime version is a standalone app for those users wanting to update a computer not connected to the internet, the usual method of updating DX9c is via the web updater which requires validation.

I personally use the runtime version as I like to have a local backup for when I reformat my HDs and I can then install all my updates without wasting time having to re-download them all again.

brad kaste
March 3rd, 2009, 10:12
Thanks again. :wave: