PDA

View Full Version : Raw Grit: PNG Bushpilot Released

wantok
March 2nd, 2009, 14:58
For those of you following Papua New Guinea Bushflying scenery development at www.islandsim.com (http://www.islandsim.com), it's now released. Checked them out.

Just a quick headsup.:jump:

Wantok

Desert Rat
March 2nd, 2009, 15:03
That looks gorgeous!!

Gdavis101
March 2nd, 2009, 15:06
And I told myself I wasn't going to buy anything for awhile!!!

RudiJG1
March 2nd, 2009, 15:16
Very, very cool, and I confess, personal. Because, once upon a time, I was actually IRL in one of those Twin Otters, holding my breath and white-knuckling the seat as our pilot flew onto a dirt strip that began on the edge of, I kid you not, a cliff on an island in the Bismarks. Unforgettable.

I might have to get this if only to attempt a re-enactment.

hobofat
March 2nd, 2009, 15:19
Very, very cool, and I confess, personal. Because, once upon a time, I was actually IRL in one of those Twin Otters, holding my breath and white-knuckling the seat as our pilot flew onto a dirt strip that began on the edge of, I kid you not, a cliff on an island in the Bismarks. Unforgettable.

I might have to get this if only to attempt a re-enactment.

You'll love this then. If you do decide to purchase you'll find yourself loading up on of the slanted cliff runways (try FANE), taking off, turning around, landing, turning around, taking off, turning around, landing...sheesh, I'm making myself dizzy!

It's pure gold...but pick your ride carefully or you'll end up like this little guy: :engel016:

MCDesigns
March 2nd, 2009, 15:21
I was looking at this earlier, love the idea and scope of this project. Would love to see a map with all the airstrips located on it.

Welcome to SOH Wantok!! :ernae:

harleyman
March 2nd, 2009, 15:22
Not fair...Its like dangeling candy in front of a baby.....:hand:

I wonder how all that scenery will do on the average rig?

harleyman
March 2nd, 2009, 15:27
I was looking at this earlier, love the idea and scope of this project. Would love to see a map with all the airstrips located on it.

Welcome..thanks for the tour....

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=778 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=612 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=28></TD><TD width=565><CENTER><!-- "./flash/newsticker.swf" -->
</CENTER>
__________________________________________________ ________________________________

http://www.islandsim.com/mediac/450_0/media/Raw$20Grit$20Map.jpgAlternate Route for "new" Bushpilots.

http://www.islandsim.com/mediac/450_0/media/Raw$20Grit$20Regional$20ops.jpgRegional Ops for experienced Bushpilots.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

<CENTER></CENTER><SCRIPT>footerSMT();</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

</TD><TD width=19></TD></TR><TR><TD width=28></TD><TD width=565></TD><TD width=19></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD background=./templates/Daily/img/AED0E8/rechts.gif></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>http://www.islandsim.com/templates/Daily/img/AED0E8/unten.gif</TD><TD colSpan=2>http://www.islandsim.com/templates/Daily/img/AED0E8/totop.gif (http://www.islandsim.com/index2.html#top)</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.islandsim.com/templates/Daily/img/AED0E8/spacer.gif</TD><TD>http://www.islandsim.com/templates/Daily/img/AED0E8/spacer.gif</TD><TD>http://www.islandsim.com/templates/Daily/img/AED0E8/spacer.gif</TD><TD>http://www.islandsim.com/templates/Daily/img/AED0E8/spacer.gif</TD><TD>http://www.islandsim.com/templates/Daily/img/AED0E8/spacer.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT>preLoadNaviImages = function() {for(var i=0; i<document.images.length; i++) {if (document.images[i].name.indexOf("CM4all_") == 0) {eval(document.images[i].name + "_hi = new Image()");eval(document.images[i].name + "_no = new Image()");eval(document.images[i].name + "_an = new Image()");var thenormsrc;var thenormsrcUrl;var savedCC = "";if (typeof(URL) != "undefined") {thenormsrcUrl = new URL(document.images[i].src, true, true);} else if (typeof(window.top.URL) != "undefined") {thenormsrcUrl = new window.top.URL(document.images[i].src, true, true);}if (thenormsrcUrl) {savedCC = thenormsrcUrl.getParameter("cc", "");thenormsrcUrl.removeAllParams();thenormsrc = thenormsrcUrl.toString();} else {thenormsrc = document.images[i].src;}var fileext = thenormsrc.substring(thenormsrc.length-4);eval(document.images[i].name + "_hi.src = '" + thenormsrc.substring(0,thenormsrc.length-6) + "_m" + fileext + "?cc=" + savedCC + "'");eval(document.images[i].name + "_no.src = '" + thenormsrc.substring(0,thenormsrc.length-6) + "_n" + fileext + "?cc=" + savedCC + "'");eval(document.images[i].name + "_an.src = '" + thenormsrc.substring(0,thenormsrc.length-6) + "_h" + fileext + "?cc=" + savedCC + "'");}}__navi_init_done__ = true;}// this can wait a momentsetTimeout("preLoadNaviImages();", 250);function setCompanyName() {}//setTimeout("setCompanyName()", 1);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT>new function() { if (typeof(theTemplate) != 'undefined' && theTemplate.hasFlashNavigation == "true") { var anchors = document.links; var url; var base = new URL(document.location.href, true, true); if (anchors) { for (var i = 0 ; i < anchors.length ; i++) { if (!anchors[i].target) { url = new URL(anchors[i].href, true, true); if (url.getParameter("*session*id*key*") != "*session*id*val*") { if (url.protocol != "javascript" && (base.authority != url.authority || base.port != url.port)) { anchors[i].target = "_top"; } } } } } }}();</SCRIPT><SCRIPT>if (typeof(URL) != "undefined") URL.processLinkz();</SCRIPT><!-- -49/-108/-28/22/ENDU -->

wantok
March 2nd, 2009, 15:29
Not fair...Its like dangeling candy in front of a baby.....:hand:

I wonder how all that scenery will do on the average rig?

Harleyman, scenery was built on a low-end system as reported in the Support page of the site. So frame hits are no problems.

Wantok

wantok
March 2nd, 2009, 15:31

Thanks for the welcome. Glad to participate here.

Roger
March 2nd, 2009, 15:53
Some very neat scenery. Got to be worth a purchase:engel016:

hobofat
March 2nd, 2009, 15:54
Kudos and a malt-derived beverage for anyone who makes it through the entire missionary freight run on full realism and with crashes on the first time around!

PRB
March 2nd, 2009, 17:12
Well, I made it into Gasmata! Gota love prop reverse! Great scenery!

Panther_99FS
March 2nd, 2009, 17:20
Wow - Stunning!:jump:

(Now if we can only get them to retro-fit it with all the WW-II airfields) :gossip:

MudMarine
March 2nd, 2009, 18:32

(Now if we can only get them to retro-fit it with all the WW-II airfields) :gossip:

Wouldn't that be nice!! I almost kill for that one!! Can't wait to try this one out.......downloaded but haven't tried it yet.

limjack
March 3rd, 2009, 15:04
That looks like a sweet package. I want to go for a dip in that pool!!!

Jim

Boomer
March 3rd, 2009, 15:49
Pretty cool!

Gonna have to buy it :)

Anneke
March 4th, 2009, 11:04
Mmm..to be honest I found it pretty average..

GT182
March 4th, 2009, 11:16

Yes it is stunning. :applause: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/Thumbup.gif

And that would be perfect too Panther ..... all the WWII airfields. :applause:

MudMarine
March 4th, 2009, 11:58
Mmm..to be honest I found it pretty average..
That's all you have to say........? Critize but no reason why.......?

Anneke
March 4th, 2009, 13:45
Hi Mud,

No there's more to say. If you are used to the great stuff of OrbX, this seems pretty average. In my opinion not worth 28 euro's. At my sim club they bought it as a nice side step to fly to from Australia. But see for yourself. Load the stuff and situate yourself at e.g. Vivigani and decide for yourself .

hobofat
March 4th, 2009, 14:24
Hi Mud,

No there's more to say. If you are used to the great stuff of OrbX, this seems pretty average. In my opinion not worth 28 euro's. At my sim club they bought it as a nice side step to fly to from Australia. But see for yourself. Load the stuff and situate yourself at e.g. Vivigani and decide for yourself .

All valid opinions, Anneke. Many simmers once having tasted the texture and landclass work of OrbX will never want to fly outside of Australia again, at least until they do PNW. But please allow me to interject, and this is not directed at you or meant to be a critique, I only write this to give simmers interested in possibly purchasing Raw Grit a clear picture. Whether or not it is worth the 28 euros, well, that depends on each individual.

For potential users of the scenery keep in mind that this is not an FTX like product. It was built to add color to a part of the flight sim world that is otherwise ignored. And it was designed to be accessible to all. Graham, the developer, uses a 5 year old computer and in his description he describes his frustration with all the wonderful add-ons he can't use. So he decided to design a scenery anybody can.

Now the flight sim community is pretty harsh on products that don't bring some sort of eye candy that hasn't been seen before. PNG unfortunately just doesn't have the satellite or aerial imagery coverage to do high resolution textures like FTX, so it uses default textures. And the one man development team behind Pacific Island sim doesn't have the prodigious budget of Orbx.

So what do you get? 23 individual PNG airstrips (plus a secret one!) built to be as real as possible with the information that is on hand (a PNG pilot contributed many valuable resources) with over 500 unique custom-made objects. You get a a 76m mesh that vastly improves over FSX default. All in all, you get a chunk of PNG that is a blast to fly around.

So no, Anneke is right, when you compare to FTX you are not getting the same thing. The resources to produce an FTX quality scenery for PNG simply don't exist, at least, they don't exist without Orbx's prodigious budget. John Venema by his own admission has pumped over a million dollars into FTX, and the results are fantastic. Pacific Island sim doesn't have that budget. Nor was the scenery designed to be an FTX. But I'm positive you will find hours and hours of enjoyment in PNG with this scenery.

For those simmers who can't stand to see anything but FTX ground textures, it probably won't be worth your hard-earned dough. For those that have wanted a more immersive PNG experience, who like challenging airstrips, who appreciate the long long long hours of work that Graham put into this project (sales will not nearly cover the work that went into the product), I think you will find great enjoyment with this product.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

MCDesigns
March 4th, 2009, 14:32
Great post hobofat, and I agree. It's hard to accept less when you are used to a higher standard. We see this in addon aircraft all the time.

As a scenery developer myself, I can see things I could critique in the screen shots, BUT seeing the overall scope of this project, I have a good idea how much work went into it, AND seeing as there were/are freeware offerings released before this was released, he gets lots of respect from me. I hope it does well for the author and he continues his work for FSX! :ernae::ernae:

Crusader
March 4th, 2009, 14:59
Sorry guys and gals .:woot: My co-pilot insisted I get a closer look . She's leaving the pool :wave::redface:

Rich:jawdrop:

Anneke
March 5th, 2009, 11:07
All valid opinions, Anneke.
That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Thanks hobofat for adding another view which put stuff into perspective. :ernae:

Mithrin
March 5th, 2009, 11:31
Ah we had a similar discussion going on at teamspeak with a couple of friends. Some may not buy it but others, myself included, bought it simply because I don't expect to see a lot of scenery for that area any time soon. I really like to fly in that area so I am happy. Have to agree that it's nothing earthshattering though. Far from that, but it keeps me entertained. ;)

wantok
March 6th, 2009, 04:17
Hi Mud,

But see for yourself. Load the stuff and situate yourself at e.g. Vivigani and decide for yourself .

Just a quick followup note here, Anneke ...and everyone.

Vivigani (VIV) strip is what it is in real life. There is not much life, houses etc at the scene. This is typical of many bush strips in PNG so I guess you might have missed the whole concept of the package - i.e, to replicate bushflying reality here.

Furthermore, VIV strip is merely a transition point for wheeled aircraft. Jump into your seaplane at the strip and fly a heading of 124 for 6nm and you'll find the village on a small island with a seaport which will connect you on the "Kula Ring Run" between Salamo (SAO), Esa'ala (ESA) and Tufi (TFI) seaports (See Map1.). Apart from seaport freight run you can fly chopper tours between ports and a tourist cruiseliner located between SAO and ESA which has a landable pad.

It's all in the documentation.

Kind regards:wavey:

Wantok

wantok
March 6th, 2009, 04:27
Head over to the website (www.islandsim.com (http://www.islandsim.com)) and scroll down the front page to see pics of VIV village scene.

PRB
March 8th, 2009, 08:52
Well, I'm enjoying this scenery. Fun stuff.

What the heck do they put in ZENAG chicken anyway...??

Gdavis101
March 9th, 2009, 23:14
Does anyone else have an extra tower and FBO building in the middle of the taxiway at AYTK?

wantok
March 10th, 2009, 06:46
GDavis,
That's interesting as this did not show up during various beta tests. Anyone else with the same issue pls contact me immediately at toksawe@gmail.com for a fix.

Regards,
Graham

Carvalho
March 10th, 2009, 09:46
Does anyone else have an extra tower and FBO building in the middle of the taxiway at AYTK?

Yes, but I had a PNG freeware package installed, uninstalled and now it's OK

Gdavis101
March 10th, 2009, 14:19
Cool thanks!

glennc
March 12th, 2009, 20:33
I think I found the 24th airstrip. It's near WTP, on top of a mountain. I won't say more. :faint:

Glenn

Lionheart
March 12th, 2009, 21:27
Looks pretty cool!

I love a good set of wild airfields....

Bill

Javis
March 12th, 2009, 22:37
I guess no bushflying AI traffic included in this package ??.....

Any intentions for this as a free add-on later maybe ?

cheers,
Jan

wantok
March 13th, 2009, 04:52
I guess no bushflying AI traffic included in this package ??.....

Any intentions for this as a free add-on later maybe ?

cheers,
Jan

Hi Javis,
The FSX engine does not allow for AI and parking spots if strips are sloped that's why its purposely left out. Attempting that will result in CTD. You'll find AI though in flat ones.

For flat strips that do not have AI, here are our reasons:

Most airstrips in PNG have very limited parking areas and in most cases use the runways as parking spots, so we are merely replicating reality here. Furthermore, having parking spots everywhere in Raw Grit only creates room for AI and not for the simmer’s aircraft. Only where there’s room, there are parking spots.

Also, most airstrips in PNG are one-way T/O and Ldg only, so having an AI purposely flying suicidal missions into the surrounding high terrain does not bode well with the overall feel and ambience of the scenery. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

BTW, we are currently working on an expansion pack of over 10 high altitude strips which will have customized objects unique to each region. This will be FOC for those who already purchased the basepack. 3 already completed and pics will be uploaded soon to our website at www.islandsim.com (http://www.islandsim.com)

Regards
Wantok

MCDesigns
March 13th, 2009, 14:09
<o:p></o:p>

BTW, we are currently working on an expansion pack of over 10 high altitude strips which will have customized objects unique to each region. This will be FOC for those who already purchased the basepack. 3 already completed and pics will be uploaded soon to our website at www.islandsim.com (http://www.islandsim.com)

Regards
Wantok

Now that is great customer service, sounds great!! :ernae:

wantok
March 17th, 2009, 13:44
Just an update for those potential customers and those who purchased my product at simMarket.com.

Due to potential customer concerns, user feedback and market analysis, Pacific Islands Simulations is pleased to announce a drastic price reduction of Raw Grit: PNG Bushpilot from EUR28.00 to EUR20.00 or US$25.00. The product will be released at flightsim shop and others shortly. This is purely a business based decision.

Generally from a comparative perspective, Raw Grit:PNG Pilot is one of FSX best addon product rated through user feedback (see http://islandsim.com/2248.html), flightsim.de (4.25 out of 5 stars. see http://simflight.de/page/2/) and a review (see http://mutleyshangar.com/features/mutley/png.htm). Although the product is of high quality, we are also sensitive to affordability concerns of potential customers, and we hope this price reduction will enthuse those looking forwarding to owning it.

For those already owned the product at previous price, you will be issued an automated voucher from simMarket upon purchase of an upcoming South Pacific Islands product soon to be announced. This essentially means that you get a favourable reduction in the new product. In addition, you will get over 10 high altitude strips as part of our free expansion pack which we are current working on for those who purchase Raw Grit: PNG Bushpilot.

Please write directly to me at toksawe@gmail.com if you require further clarity or have any questions regarding this news.

Kind regards
Graham

glennc
March 17th, 2009, 15:39
Graham, That's great news although I do feel I have gotten my money's worth. I am enjoying finding my way around the area and some of the high altitude challenges. Now you have my curiosity up about the next product.

Many Thanks in more ways than one, :ernae:

Glenn

wantok
March 17th, 2009, 16:13
I'm glad you're enjoying the product as I am creating it, Glenn. It's been a labor of love for me and I will continue to expand it as well as creating new ones with the kind of quality you guys deserve.

Happy simming!:wavey:
Graham

Reddog
March 17th, 2009, 16:16
Graham, That's great news although I do feel I have gotten my money's worth. I am enjoying finding my way around the area and some of the high altitude challenges. Now you have my curiosity up about the next product.

Many Thanks in more ways than one, :ernae:

Glenn

Yes to the above and my thanks too:applause:

wantok
March 17th, 2009, 16:21
You're welcome, Reddog. And thanks for purchasing it.
Regards,
Graham

dswo
April 12th, 2009, 09:31
Graham's work inspired me to go find some charts, which I have calibrated for FSMap and uploaded to AVSIM: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=papua+charts. The download is in three parts, about 35mb each.

Description: Calibrated for FSMap, but scanned images can be used in other map software, such as FSM Moving Map (FSMMM) by Rana Hossain. Chart source: Topographic Maps U.S. Army Map Service, Series T504, original scale 1:250,000, date 1964-. Courtesy of the University of Texas Libraries, The University of Texas at Austin. Missing: I could not find equivalent charts for New Britain; for this island, a lower-quality chart is included.

hobofat
April 12th, 2009, 10:57
Graham's work inspired me to go find some charts, which I have calibrated for FSMap and uploaded to AVSIM: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=papua+charts. The download is in three parts, about 35mb each.

Description: Calibrated for FSMap, but scanned images can be used in other map software, such as FSM Moving Map (FSMMM) by Rana Hossain. Chart source: Topographic Maps U.S. Army Map Service, Series T504, original scale 1:250,000, date 1964-. Courtesy of the University of Texas Libraries, The University of Texas at Austin. Missing: I could not find equivalent charts for New Britain; for this island, a lower-quality chart is included.

Fantastic! Thanks for the great maps.

RudiJG1
April 12th, 2009, 15:40
Indeed, thanks for the maps...much appreciated.

warchild
April 12th, 2009, 17:00
I'm really grateful to the developers of this. They're doing a part of the world that has been completely overlooked and yet is some of the most historical and most stunningly gorgeous areas of the world.. Thanks guys. :D gotta wait till next month to buy but jeez i'm gonna love this when i get it :D :D .

dswo
April 20th, 2009, 02:12
A couple news items:

1. Terry Carr has created calibration files for using the charts with freeware FSMMM (FSM Moving Map); now in the AVSIM file library, accessible with the link I posted earlier.

2. This morning on Vimeo I noticed a video of mountain flying in PNG that features two of the airfields in this package, FANE and ZEN. See http://www.vimeo.com/3593510.

JoeW
April 20th, 2009, 13:16
Just may have to snatch this one up Payday.

dswo
April 26th, 2009, 10:14
I've been flying these for over month and didn't realize until this afternoon that there's a hot fix for the floating boulders at Wasu and Ononge; go to http://www.islandsim.com/68801.html and scroll down to the bottom.

Boomer
April 26th, 2009, 15:21
I am enjoying PNG greatly!

What I really want to know is.... You modeled about 1/2 of the airports, when ya gonna do the other half??? :jump:

wantok
April 26th, 2009, 18:41
A dozen more completed with new features such as hand-drawn rivers and coastlines. No exact ETA yet though, but checkout pics at www.islandsim.com (http://www.islandsim.com) from hereon untill release date.

Cheers,
Graham

Wombat_VC
April 27th, 2009, 01:34
Perfect place for the Quest Kodiak. :applause: