PDA

View Full Version : Combined CFS1/CF2 installation?

jhefner
March 2nd, 2009, 14:29
Greetings;

I currently have CFS1 and CFS2 installed on my two computers. I would love to install Rhumbaflappy's LOD7 mesh for both my CFS2 and FS8/FS9 installations on the two computers; but space is at a premimum.

I am thinking of backing up my CFS1 installation, and removing it from both computers, to make room for the mesh. Two questions:

1. Is there a way to get the missions, scenery, airfields, and other functionality of CFS1 in CFS2?
2. Is it a good idea to even try? :mixedsmi:

I realize I am better off finding planes made for CFS2 rather than importing the CFS1 planes; but how hard is it to rebuild the missions in CFS1 to use CFS2 aircraft instead?

Thanks in advance.

-James

Rami
March 2nd, 2009, 14:35
I have successfully converted some CFS1 campaigns to CFS2 and have several others in the pipeline, but it's a long and arduous process.

CFS2 is so far ahead of CFS1, in every theatre, you'd be better off jumping into CFS2 with both feet.

OBIO
March 2nd, 2009, 15:13
jhefner

To save space, you can share one copy of Rhumbafloppy's LOD7 mesh between all your CFS2/FS8/FS9 installs. I have the LOD7 mesh files placed in a folder named LOD7 in my main Microsoft Games folder. Inside the LOD7 folder is a folder called SCENERY that contains all the LOD7 mesh files, and an empty TEXTURE folder (just because it has to be there for the scenery to work). Then, when adding the new mesh to CFS2 and FS9, I direct the scenery library to that LOD7 folder. One installation of the mesh, takes 1.9 gigs, and all my installs will be able to use it.

I concur with Rami about CFS2 being light years ahead of CFS1. There are a ton of CFS2 planes for the European Theater, a lot of scenery and missions have already been made for the ETO, and more being made.

OBIO

miamieagle
March 2nd, 2009, 15:30
Good Advice!

jhefner
March 2nd, 2009, 15:58
I concur with Rami about CFS2 being light years ahead of CFS1. There are a ton of CFS2 planes for the European Theater, a lot of scenery and missions have already been made for the ETO, and more being made.

OBIO

Awhile back, I found a website ("Allied Supply Depot"?) that had all the aircraft, missions, and scenery available for CFS1 bundled in a set of "Big Packs" that made it easy to install much of what is available. Is there a similiar freeware or commerical package available for the ETO for CFS2?

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. I planned on doing a common install as Obio suggested; but I need the space currently taken by CFS1 on the older computer to do so.

-James

hewman100
March 3rd, 2009, 02:00
Awhile back, I found a website ("Allied Supply Depot"?) that had all the aircraft, missions, and scenery available for CFS1 bundled in a set of "Big Packs" that made it easy to install much of what is available. Is there a similiar freeware or commerical package available for the ETO for CFS2?

The definitive answer is no, unfortunately. Because CFS2 has become a somewhat unstoppable leviathan in the past 8 years or so things are constantly evolving.

A case-in-point is the LOD 5 and LOD 7 scenery talked about above, this is far superior to what has come before in a lot of ways.

Rami has progressively been updating a lot of the early campaign releases from a long time ago that are not PTO, and is regularly even having to update his updates!

To cap it all the aircraft inventory continues to expand! Just this last week we were treated to our FIRST Beaufighter MkII as part of a package of all new Beaus that are being brought out at present.