PDA

View Full Version : Musings on FSX multiplayer.

crashaz
March 1st, 2009, 22:27
I want to tap the minds of the SOH community.

Now this is strictly for those using FSX... but I want to start doing some investigating in improving the use and functionality of FSX multiplayer.

From a couple of hours reading I have done tonight.

A direct connect session would be the preferred way for host connection. Run away from Gamespy.

What have your experience been using the FSX multiplayer functionality?

It seems that the FS-MP.com guys have gotten it figured out.

I am not looking to do full on ATC or anything like that. Just would like to have a place we can chat and enjoy more realtime multiplayer flight for things like formation flying.

During the RTW race I flew strictly in FSX and of course my multiplayer experience was not as good compared to the FS9 fliers. I hate the lag of using the FSHost route.

So anyone have any opinions, observations or ideas?

If the experience of having a dedicated host system setup on something like an OC-3 bandwidth connection is good... this is something I may want to look into.

MCDesigns
March 2nd, 2009, 05:36
Interesting post bro. I have been wanting to try the FSX MP sessions, but don't want to go the gamespy route. My FS9 MP experience when flying for a heli VA, was crappy, no rotor animations, jerky movement, just very unrealistic.I am under the impression that the visuals are much better in FSX can anyone confirm this?

Lewis-A2A
March 2nd, 2009, 05:54
Multiplayers great, even the Gamespy route works well when you know what your doing!

Just fly with people you know for the best experience, although I believe most members who MP on SOH fly the fs-host netwings server route.

Ive flown both ATC serviced (were I actually found flying the default planes was wicked as it was all in the ATC and flying over my home from home airport vfr in cessna was just so immersion), and none atc serviced sessions when its more a case of pick a plane, take off and fly to whatever.

Voice comms is recommended, and the idea of having to tune your radio when using FSX comms is brilliant, on the atc server I use to play on it was 118.55 for Humberside Tower which was always one of the first things to do before engine startup.

Navy Chief
March 2nd, 2009, 06:13
I haven't done much MP for quite a while, but I enjoy it. Flying MP without voice comms, isn't much fun though. Teamspeak seems to be the software of choice, and is easy to use. TS3 should be out "soon".

I have flown MP on some closed-type servers, and there isn't any lag time. I.E. Hamachi?

NC

datter
March 2nd, 2009, 06:18
A friend and I are doing our own round the world flight together and spent some time sorting out the best MP route. Gamespy was an instant loser, constant dropped connections and lag were rather annoying. We looked at FSHost but the talk of lag put us off.

What we ended up doing is running Hamachi (https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp) and connecting through an FSX LAN connection. The connect is rock solid, with zero lag and we do voice comms via Skype. Works perfectly, though I can't speak to how it would work with a larger group of guys.

Nick C
March 2nd, 2009, 06:27
I used to fly MP all the time in FS9 using FSHost on the Emma Field server. Sadly, as mentioned above, FSX is too laggy on FSHost and I find that the Gamespy option is a massive headache. I personally want a lag free (well close to) session where I can drop in and fly what I want with a bunch of mates.

I would still choose Team Speak for voice coms.

Tako_Kichi
March 2nd, 2009, 07:05
I do most of my FSX MP flying via a direct connection with friends (Lewis-A2A and Techy111 mostly) and it is super smooth and allows very close formation flying (as close as about 6ft/2M wingtip to wingtip) with no warping. We use Skype or sometimes TS for voice comms.

You need to know the host's IP address in order to connect and of course you need the required ports open in your router/firewall.

crashaz
March 2nd, 2009, 11:13
When I first used the Gamespy networking option on FSX... it did work great.. no lags and was smooth. Now of course the crashing is a pain.

So maybe next weekend we can join up on Skype and do some testing via a direct connect to a host server I will setup. See how many people we can get in?