PDA

View Full Version : The Vista Blues

winslow33
March 1st, 2009, 18:10
:wave:
I have a friend who is consitering buying a laptop. He has the option of Windows Vista, or Windows XP. I know there are some bad reviews on Vista out there, and i've even looked at a few.
The thing is, he's convinced Windows Vista is the greatest thing since the invention of white bread. I'm more of an XP kinda guy because it doesnt have half the problems.
But my question is this: Can somebody enlighten me (us) to quite how bad it truly is? Or have I simply been listening to too many reviews and it's not as bad as it seems? Because when I think about it, I really dont remember anything i've heard about it nor do i have any bad experiences exept that my CombatFS 1 doesnt like it.
Thanks.:typing:

hey_moe
March 1st, 2009, 21:15
I like using Vista 64, but the number one thing about Vista is it sucks up all resources.It is not as stable as XP either.

stansdds
March 2nd, 2009, 02:29
Windows Vista is so good that MicroSoft continues to extend production of XP discs as well as support for XP and they are rushing to get Windows 7 to the market by the end of this year. Yeah, evidently Vista is really... ummmm... like Windows ME.

hey_moe
March 2nd, 2009, 03:46
Vista kinda gotta grow on you. But you are right when ya said it is like ME. But if it was such a great OS,more business's would be using it.I have been using Window7 and it is outstanding and very user friendly. Lots of new things and a great OS. I feel this one replace XP.MS said it is thinking of giving the owners of Vista a free update....I sure hope so...Mike

lefty
March 2nd, 2009, 10:44
Microsoft ? FREE ??? Never thought of you as one of the world's great optimists, Mike !

stansdds
March 2nd, 2009, 14:51
Yeah, I'm thinking more along the lines of a $50 rebate for Vista users.

hey_moe
March 2nd, 2009, 15:00
Now hold on a dog gone minute ther....give me one darn reason why I can't dream and hope :faint:
Microsoft ? FREE ??? Never thought of you as one of the world's great optimists, Mike !

Kofschip
March 2nd, 2009, 17:31
Now hold on a dog gone minute ther....give me one darn reason why I can't dream and hope :faint:

With M$ that is like peeing against the wind......:focus:

winslow33
March 2nd, 2009, 18:17
Actually, about a week ago on M$'s website I noticed where you could download the full Windows 7 beta version free. I went back today to find the link to share, but sadly the free beta run is over...:173go1:
Thanks for all the replies.

David_L6
March 2nd, 2009, 18:25
He has the option of Windows Vista, or Windows XP.

Tell him to get XP.

txnetcop
March 2nd, 2009, 22:00
I just spent two weeks unloading Vista off of all the servers at the Physicians Network and replaced it with Red Hat Linux...no more problems. I hate Vista but I admit to loving Vista Redux-Windows 7
Ted

Buddha13
March 8th, 2009, 07:24
Hi all,
I have been using Vista for over a year now.Yes it is a hog and requires decent hardware.I also has a few quirks like the UAC needing to be turned off.But it has eventually settled down for me.My last problem turned out not to be a Vista problem but a third party software problem.
Managed to get nearly all my old software to work.That was no worse than the changeover from 98 to XP.
So all in all it is not as bad as some people make out with a diligent bit of tweaking.

Buddha13

safn1949
March 10th, 2009, 11:54
I have had only 1 problem with Vista,I can't get my logitech joystick to work in Cfs 1,my understanding is that this is a common problem caused by Vista,not the joystick.Anyone that can fix this please oh please email me the fix.:friday:

safn1949@gmail.com

David_L6
March 14th, 2009, 11:51
Hi all,
I have been using Vista for over a year now.Yes it is a hog and requires decent hardware.I also has a few quirks like the UAC needing to be turned off.But it has eventually settled down for me.My last problem turned out not to be a Vista problem but a third party software problem.
Managed to get nearly all my old software to work.That was no worse than the changeover from 98 to XP.
So all in all it is not as bad as some people make out with a diligent bit of tweaking.

Buddha13

You are correct IMO - Vista isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Also IMO, it isn't any better than XP.

The part of your post that I highlighted is why I recommended XP for his laptop. I wouldn't install Vista on a laptop if I had a choice in the matter.

The computer (a desktop) that I use the most has XP Pro. I also have one with 64 bit Vista. I have no problems with the Vista computer (once I turned off UAC) but it has an overclocked quad core CPU, 8GB of RAM, and a 10,000 RPM hard drive. Even Vista has a hard time bogging it down.

winslow33
March 15th, 2009, 17:45
Thanks for all the replies.:jump:
I've managed to convince him to choose XP, thanks to the above points and interesting articles I've found on the web. I don't know if all of what I'm about to post is true or not (if somebody knows better, please inform me), but some especially surprising things I read are that (and I quote):

Vista enforces new forms of “Digital Rights Management (DRM). It is a technology that Microsoft is trying to force upon us all, in order to control how our computers are used. The following are some facts about how Windows Vista lets Microsoft manage and restrict what you do:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

They decide which programs you can and can't use on your computer <o:p></o:p>
They decide which features of your computer or software you can use at any given moment <o:p></o:p>
They force you to install new programs even when you don't want to (and pay for the privilege) <o:p></o:p>
They restrict your access to certain programs and even to your own data files <o:p></o:p>
and,

If your copy of Vista came with the purchase of a new computer, that copy of Vista may only be legally used on that machine, forever.
You give Microsoft the right, through programs like Windows Defender, to delete files and programs from your system that it decides are spyware.
You consent to being spied upon by Microsoft, through the “Windows Genuine Advantage” system. This system tries to identify instances of copying that Microsoft thinks are illegitimate. Unfortunately, a recent study indicated that this system has already screwed up in over 500,000 cases.
:faint:All I know is that I'm never gonna leave XP SP2 unless I have to now.

GT182
March 16th, 2009, 04:40
Has XP's SP3 settled down to where it no longer causes problems?

David_L6
March 16th, 2009, 06:52
The computer that I'm on now has XP Pro with SP3. Can't say that I've noticed any problems with anything that I do with the computer.

Buddha13
March 16th, 2009, 07:52
Hi all,
My wifes computer has XP Pro with SP3.I admit it was put on a clean install but all is working as it should.
Winslow,
Do not know where you got your info but as far as I can see it's a load of BO**OCKS.
The only part of Vista that causes you any problems for your programs is the UAC.That is amazingly annoying,But can be turned off.
Windows Defender has been around for quite some time now and is also available for XP.So that is an urban myth.Plus you can turn that off as well.My internet security package does that for you as it can interfere with it.It does ask first though.You should not try and run 2 a/v packages on the same machine.As for

They decide which programs you can and can't use on your computer <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
They decide which features of your computer or software you can use at any given moment <o:p></o:p>
They force you to install new programs even when you don't want to (and pay for the privilege) <o:p></o:p>
They restrict your access to certain programs and even to your own data files
The words twaddle come to mind.Most of this I think has been made up by some Uninformed halfwit with an axe to grind because he was probably trying to run Visat on a unsuitable machine.Never came across any of these problems.As I said earlier you really do need a powerful machine to get the best out of Vista.
As for the one computer for life statement.Read the licence for any pre installed MS O/S.It is the same.It is only licenced for that machine and no other.
Windows Genuine Advantage is for all Windows software not just Vista.This means XP as well.What do you mean screwed up.You only have a problem if you have a fake or pirated copy of your programs.A lot of people went about bleating how unfair this was because they were caught out with pirated software.

Buddha13

safn1949
March 16th, 2009, 08:00
Thanks for all the replies.:jump:
I've managed to convince him to choose XP, thanks to the above points and interesting articles I've found on the web. I don't know if all of what I'm about to post is true or not (if somebody knows better, please inform me), but some especially surprising things I read are that (and I quote):

Vista enforces new forms of “Digital Rights Management (DRM). It is a technology that Microsoft is trying to force upon us all, in order to control how our computers are used. The following are some facts about how Windows Vista lets Microsoft manage and restrict what you do:<o:p></o:p>

They decide which programs you can and can't use on your computer <o:p></o:p>
They restrict your access to certain programs and even to your own data files <o:p></o:p>

and,

If your copy of Vista came with the purchase of a new computer, that copy of Vista may only be legally used on that machine, forever.
You give Microsoft the right, through programs like Windows Defender, to delete files and programs from your system that it decides are spyware.
You consent to being spied upon by Microsoft, through the “Windows Genuine Advantage” system. This system tries to identify instances of copying that Microsoft thinks are illegitimate. Unfortunately, a recent study indicated that this system has already screwed up in over 500,000 cases.
:faint:All I know is that I'm never gonna leave XP SP2 unless I have to now.

Utter nonsense,go here and readhttp://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

http://www.tweakguides.com/VA_1.html

winslow33
March 16th, 2009, 08:06
After visiting those links, what I posted does seem rather foolish... Thanks for clearing it up.
My apologies for the mis-information:faint:

Buddha13
March 16th, 2009, 08:16
Winslow,
Not to worry.We all get drawn into some ones paranioa sometimes.This was a big thing when Vista was first released and some people were unhappy with what they found.

Buddha13

safn1949
March 16th, 2009, 09:25
Not a problem,I am on my second vista laptop and just don't have any problems other than the cfs1 joystick and it will turn out to be something simple.There is just too much misinformation and misunderstanding going around about Vista,it really is a nice program.:friday: