PDA

View Full Version : ok now what

Ickie
March 1st, 2009, 17:21
I just installed FSX again and Acceleration everything maxxed out, on my new rigg:
i7 940 (8 cores) running at 2.93 GHz
12 gig of DDR3 memory (1333 MHz)
nvidia geforce GTX 260, 1920 x 1200 res
:help:
I get 12-17 frame rate around new york city,
OK what is the secret?

Crusader
March 1st, 2009, 17:38
If everything is maxed out and you are getting(A smooth) 12 to 16 FPS I would think that's not too bad . I don't think I have heard of anyone who is running FSX completely maxed and getting a reasonably high FPS(Especially around NYC) . My next PC might be along the lines of your specs so get it figured out Ickie and pass it on . Have fun with your new rig .:typing:

Rich:ernae:

Ickie
March 1st, 2009, 17:43
For some reason I thought this computer should smoke FSX, lol
The sim has been out for awhile now, hummm

Wiens
March 1st, 2009, 17:46
Ron,

Have you OC'd your computer? FSX runs best with a cpu running in the sweet spot of 3.4 to 3.6 Ghz.

Kevin

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 17:49
Well the bad news is that i7 was no magic wand...

have a look here icky at my basic set up guide.....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=3023

Look it over and see if you are set close to that..It works for most rigs to get started....BUT

Are you smooth at those frames? And do the hold steady at that or do the bounce up and down over NY?

Lionheart
March 1st, 2009, 17:54
Ickie,

Make sure you.....
* Download both updates; SP1 and SP2
* Try out Phils FSX Config settings for things such as Autogen Cell zone settings
* Try out NickC's suggestions at AVSIM (if you have an nVidia card especially).
* Make sure you are in full screen mode and not windowed mode

Boomer
March 1st, 2009, 18:02
Something is amiss!

You rig specs are identical to mine & I am getting in the 30's with Manhattan X. I do not have everying maxed out when I am around there though. Road traffic & detail radius have a huge impact in congested areas.

I was rather smug zooming around FSX with everything maxed right up until I got to the big apple. As in the real world, NYC teaches you to be a little less ambitious.

Ickie
March 1st, 2009, 18:07
Lionheart
when I went to fsinsider and went to download them updates, it prompted me not to install them if I had Acceleration

Boomer i see you have 12 gigs of 1600 MHz ??
when I bought my memory It told me that I could use only 1 stick of 1600 MHz per channel due to the architecture of the i7
I have 3 channels 2 slots per channel thats why I bought 1333 MHz

Panther_99FS
March 1st, 2009, 18:13
Ickie,
Did you turn off all the crap in Vista ?

Ickie
March 1st, 2009, 18:18
no crap in Vista Ultimate 64, M$ removed it for me.

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 18:21
I'm working with a friend now in Mass who just bought a 960 i7 OCed with 6 gigs ram and SLI 285's

He has FSX set up on 300Gig V-Raptors in raid....

He started out getting 9-15 frames......And a complete slide show...

The latest nvidia driver helped him out a bunch.....

He now just gets average 20 frames ..he flies Big tubliners and all testing was from bremmerton to KSEA....

He too is not very happy......We have worked on his config for two days to get him to where he is now......

Panther_99FS
March 1st, 2009, 18:22
no crap in Vista Ultimate 64, M$ removed it for me.

Ultimate 64 doesn't have active user account control?

Kiwikat
March 1st, 2009, 18:26
Ultimate 64 doesn't have active user account control?

It does. I certainly had to turn mine off.

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 18:27
It does...But won't affect his frames...Just will effect his abality to use the computer...LOL

Panther_99FS
March 1st, 2009, 18:32
It does...But won't affect his frames...Just will effect his abality to use the computer...LOL

Hmmm,
I've heard some folks state that they get an increase in FPS with this turned off....

(I don't have Vista)

Boomer
March 1st, 2009, 18:32
Yep 1600mhz. I cant speak to the details of using 1 stick because I bought my rig ready to run from Alienware. Either they have found a work around or the guy selling the memory was misinformed.

Ickie
March 1st, 2009, 18:36
it was even printed in my Asus book

Ickie
March 1st, 2009, 18:42
3-4 Gig Sticks??

hey_moe
March 1st, 2009, 18:45
Ickie,it's time for a new pooter....dump dat slow a$$ thang and get a faster one. That processor ya got overclocks nice. Also go here >> http://www.blackviper.com/ he has the best suggestions for tweaking out windows OS...mKE

Ickie
March 1st, 2009, 18:53
here is the answer
Intel® Core™ i7 Processor Extreme Edition

Nick C
March 1st, 2009, 22:25
Hmmm,
I've heard some folks state that they get an increase in FPS with this turned off....

(I don't have Vista)

If you have the Vista service packs, the operating system will disable the UAC when FSX boots up.

harleyman
March 2nd, 2009, 00:27
If you have the Vista service packs, the operating system will disable the UAC when FSX boots up.

You sure about that Nick...I had Vista Ultimate 64 w/ SP 1 included with it and I always had to turn UAC off...

Maybe its changed..My copy is 4 months old and I gave it to wife and I stayed with XP Pro SP3....

Daube
March 2nd, 2009, 01:04
I just installed FSX again and Acceleration everything maxxed out, on my new rigg:
i7 940 (8 cores) running at 2.93 GHz
12 gig of DDR3 memory (1333 MHz)
nvidia geforce GTX 260, 1920 x 1200 res
:help:
I get 12-17 frame rate around new york city,
OK what is the secret?

There are quite a few secrets that will make you gain a lot of FPS without loosing visual quality:
- do not set the water quality to max. Set it to "high 2x" only.
- do not select the "natural" visualization of thermals.
- do not select the buildings shadows
- be carefull with the light bloom, it's a ressource hog. Try turning it OFF just to see.
- reduce the cloud draw distance to the minimum, or almost the minimum.
- set the autogen tweaks in the FSX.cfg, reduce it to 1000 trees and 1000 buildings, but keep the autogen density to the max on just one crank below in the game settings.
- do not put the ground texture resolution below 1m (less than 1m is almost useless)
- deactivate the FSX default AI traffic, it's a ressource hog. Replace it by some addon traffic.
- deactivate the vehicules on the ground (airport vehicules and vehicules on roads)
- maybe you can set the scenery complexity slider just one crank below the max, instead of max.
This should help already.

The problem about NewYork and all those sceneries and airports that are very detailled in FSX, is that all the buildings are using very nice reflective textures that are killing your video card with a teaspoon.

jimjones
March 2nd, 2009, 02:29
It's been my impression that turning up everyting to max will give slow fps on just about every pc out there.

Too minimize ones disappointment with a new pc that can't give high fps on a maxed out pc, perhaps there should be a standard set of conditions:
scenery, plane, settings, plane positon and speed, etc for people to measure against. That may be a tough standard(s) to agree upon, but I recall a gentleman in UK that did that for an earlier sim and had people send in their results. He made up a matrix of PC types and listed their fps. I don't think anyone wants to do that kind of work.

But if there were a standard or two posted, or a cfg that could be downloaded and a thread created and set as a sticky, we could post our pc specs and fps for others to see.

Then maybe we could see what is realistic to expect.

heywooood
March 2nd, 2009, 04:44
There are quite a few secrets that will make you gain a lot of FPS without loosing visual quality:
- do not set the water quality to max. Set it to "high 2x" only.
- do not select the "natural" visualization of thermals.
- do not select the buildings shadows
- be carefull with the light bloom, it's a ressource hog. Try turning it OFF just to see.
- reduce the cloud draw distance to the minimum, or almost the minimum.
- set the autogen tweaks in the FSX.cfg, reduce it to 1000 trees and 1000 buildings, but keep the autogen density to the max on just one crank below in the game settings.
- do not put the ground texture resolution below 1m (less than 1m is almost useless)
- deactivate the FSX default AI traffic, it's a ressource hog. Replace it by some addon traffic.
- deactivate the vehicules on the ground (airport vehicules and vehicules on roads)
- maybe you can set the scenery complexity slider just one crank below the max, instead of max.
This should help already.

The problem about NewYork and all those sceneries and airports that are very detailled in FSX, is that all the buildings are using very nice reflective textures that are killing your video card with a teaspoon.

exactly!

..and I love that last line especially '..killing your vid card with a teaspoon'.. :ernae:

harleyman
March 2nd, 2009, 04:47
I tried NY last night in a Viking....I went from 40 to 12 over JFK and got a little stuttery..

I fly GA and small airfields...It goes a long way to keeping me sane.....:friday:

heywooood
March 2nd, 2009, 04:52
me too...

skirting past the big urban sprawls at a safe distance keeps the last of the hair on my head where it belongs brother..

maybe in another three to five years there'll be a rig that can run FSX wide open, without tweaks, without reductions, and without stutters
..but I doubt it

be happy with incremental increases in volume with the latest hardware, but dont expect full pop and dont believe everything you read about folks saying they can already do it - I find that with a little digging you get the admission of omission from such users

you just have to tweak FSX and adjust your rig, and you have to reduce some settings for overall smooth play...I dont care what kinda rig it is

Daube
March 2nd, 2009, 05:36
Same here ! I try to avoid the biggest cities as much as I can.
However, when I really have to land there, I just set the FPS limit to "unlimited". Somehow, the flight is more fluid, and I don't care about ground texture blurriness or autogen popping when I'm in short final over big cities, so the unlimited FPS helps a lot.

Later on, when I get out of the city and need to fly fast with correct scenery, I revert the FPS limit to fixed 24-26 FPS. This solves blurries, popping and stutters dues to terrain loading.

be happy with incremental increases in volume with the latest hardware, but dont expect full pop and dont believe everything you read about folks saying they can already do it - I find that with a little digging you get the admission of omission from such users

you just have to tweak FSX and adjust your rig, and you have to reduce some settings for overall smooth play...I dont care what kinda rig it is

I can't wait to see how my FSX will look like after my next computer upgrade.
Currently, it already look pretty good with the autogen limited to 800-800, but it would surely look even better (with more distant autogen) if I could run with the default values (4500-4000 if I remember well)... and of course I would always give try to the absolute max autogen (6000-6000), just to see...

Lionheart
March 2nd, 2009, 05:45
Ickie,

Here is some 'exact settings' offered by Heywoood in another thread;

Ok - my LOD radius = large
Mesh complexity = 100
Mesh REs = 5m
Text Res. = 60cm
Water effects = High 2x and I use FS Water Configurator (highly recommend it its free too) *water slider settings make a huge difference*
Scenery Complexity = Very Dense
Autogen Density = Very Dense
Special Effects = Medium
My frame rates are locked @ 33 *this was also a big difference - I tried a lot of other settings including 'unlimited' and all
other settings gave me problems - I tried 60, 50, 40, 30, 25, and none give me the results that 33 does...go figure*

the water and frame rate settings can have an adverse affect on terrain textures, your rig is rendering water at whatever level you select
and is trying to give you the locked frame rates at that level, in addition to all the other texture settings you have selected, and it causes your hardware to make sacrifices to meet that FPS lock you have...so it all matters - everything is tied to everything else, FSX is practically a symbiotic organism.

I have reduced in the FSX cfg max buildings and max trees per cell to 900 bldgs and 1100 trees per cell
I use 2 additional file tweaks - 'reduced trees' and 'reduced clouds'
I use REX GEX and FSGenesis
I tweaked texture max load to 4096 in FSX cfg
and followed NickN's XP and FSX configuration tutorial almost to the letter....

I would suggest lowering your water slider one or two notches and reducing 'Special Effects' to Medium - you still get good extra effects and to be honest - I cant tell the difference with mine at med vs high so...
Also - check your Frame Rate lock and lower that setting too

FSX is a different animal on every other rig out there - I've never seen anything so fickle and fussworthy in my life - hence the Lomac re-install

Heywoood

Might help..

I found water to significantly effect things. Also, I reduced my overall resolution. I didnt want to, but I noticed in all my editions of COD, I could run at very low resolution and still have really good detail. So I did it in FSX and my frames went way up, (when I say way up, its like 2 to 5, which for me is huge, lololol).

Bill