PDA

View Full Version : Animated Avatars

Piglet
March 1st, 2009, 16:49
How does one make an animated avatar?

Lionheart
March 1st, 2009, 17:20
One way is if you have Adobe Photoshop with its sister program Image Ready (accessed at bottom of LH menu), then you would..

* Take a stack of snap shots
* Combine all snapshots into one picture so they are layers and in order for direction of animation
* In ImageReady, on each layer, you can select blends and things so the animation will have certain effects..
* Optomise (means export) as a GIF

On my PS 6.0, it doesnt animate smoothly and the GIF is slightly rough. But it works.

That one with the blue and white Yin and Yang is brilliant! Must be a Max rendering animation...

Bill

Dangerousdave26
March 1st, 2009, 17:23
***edit Bill beat me to it.

Its an animated .gif file

You take a series of pictures and assign the data on how long each is displayed and then compile it into a .gif file. Photoshop can do it and I used to have another program that would do it called .gif construction set.

One of the problems with an animated .gif is the size all the data adds up. Our avatar size is rather limiting if you want an animated gif. The image starts to get real small.

Lionheart
March 1st, 2009, 17:40
Daves on it.

They can be huge in file size.. but this one for instance is a 140 by 130 pixel size of about 5 or 6 'slices' (as they are called in ImageReady), which came to about 54 KB. (The Avatar limits are 150 square max, and 58.7 KB).

When you make a layered GIF, then go to (take it into) Image Ready, then click on File/Optomise and save as a GIF, Animated, regular file order for animation.

I had done one if the LearFan years ago by taking screenshots of it at angles in Gmax (I made a Gmax scene with the plane rotating via the slider, taking screenshots at certain angles through the rotation).

I then took all screenshots, put them in a stack in PS, all in order, then cropped it for the right amount of edge size, then export (jump) to ImageReady, then use animation options (blend) and then Optomize. Oops.. and resize.. You can make several, one huge, one medium, then one super small for Avatars..

Bill

Ickie
March 1st, 2009, 17:47
here is an old free program
http://ickie.net/AnimationShop.zip

Panther_99FS
March 1st, 2009, 17:59
Hmmm..:d

N2056
March 1st, 2009, 18:04
Great...
Now his babes are gonna be doin' reps! :weightlifter:

Lionheart
March 1st, 2009, 18:09
great...
Now his babes are gonna be doin' reps! :weightlifter:

lolol...

Piglet
March 1st, 2009, 18:11
Thanks,
I did make one (see 5th Cylon thread). But it couldn't be set up as an Avatar.
Tried to upload as avatar, but I got a "you are not allowed to upload animated images" message. Nothing about format or size.
Oh well, it's really no big deal.:wavey:

Panther_99FS
March 1st, 2009, 18:21
Tim,
You should be able to upload it as a .GIF...

Piglet
March 1st, 2009, 22:14
It is a .gif file

grunau_baby
March 1st, 2009, 22:55
ooooohhhh! I thought we were limited to JPGs only! My creativity explodes... :engel016:

Alex

Snuffy
March 2nd, 2009, 03:07

ED!!!! NO!!! :help:

:faint:

Ickie
March 2nd, 2009, 05:21
animated avatars are reserved for charter members and staff

Cazzie
March 2nd, 2009, 06:19

Now I wonder what you're up to, ya rascal. You gonna stick a whole bunch of "X" things in the Cantina? :costumes:

Caz

Brian_Gladden
March 2nd, 2009, 06:49
I just went with an animated Ssignature. Nothing I made myself. just one I found and liked.

Brian

Lionheart
March 2nd, 2009, 08:50
Cool Gif Brian!

I see the Capn is in a new show lately, a police like weekly drama type. Good actor..

Bill