PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing on Runway

MenendezDiego
March 1st, 2009, 10:39
Sometimes when I'm sitting on the runway, even rolling, the plane bounces a few inches.

I tried to google the problem, but found little. Anyone know whats going on, and what the fix is?

I'm running xp 32 bit, with FSX+Accel

Regards, Diego

harleyman
March 1st, 2009, 10:45
Its a thing..As far as I know there is no real fix...

I think some have adjusted the contact points and gotten some better results..But not sure about that completely...

jschall
March 1st, 2009, 12:26
some have adjusted the contact points and gotten some better results.

After my experience with the Flight Replicas J-3 bouncing all over the apron, I am certain that it's a contact-point problem related to a particular plane.

So, Diego, is it only a problem with one plane? Which one? I bet you are not the only one with the problem - look for help from the developer of that particular plane!

- Jeff

MenendezDiego
March 1st, 2009, 13:57
I've had problems with the Aerosoft Catalina Beta, the Aerosoft F-16, Iris F-18, FSX F-18, a bunch!

I'll ask the developers

N2056
March 1st, 2009, 14:00
Does the problem occur at many airports, or just one?

mike_cyul
March 1st, 2009, 14:08
There was a thread, which I think was erased in the Great Crash, that talked about how certain airports have "bumps" at certain points, where the aircraft will jump as if it hit something on the ground. I remember testing it out, and they were there. If I remember correctly, it was something to do with FSX itself, and was not fixable (although perhaps someone has come up with a fix since then).

Mike

N2056
March 1st, 2009, 14:13
Mike, that was the motive behind my question ;)

limjack
March 1st, 2009, 14:13
This was my experience with the bounce, http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=10433&highlight=limjack

I did try to change the contact points but the bouce continues. Not sure if it is the same thing you are experiencing but sure sounds like it.

Jim

MenendezDiego
March 1st, 2009, 14:30
One of the main airports I use is Edwards AFB, happens alot.

Happens on other runways too, :help:

N2056
March 1st, 2009, 14:39
But does it happen on every runway you have ever used? I think you are seeing the 'bug' that Mike mentioned, and depending on the contact point setup of a given model some are more affected by this than others. That has been my experience.

MenendezDiego
March 1st, 2009, 14:47
i'll choose the f-16, observe the bouncing, then go to dobbins afb and see what happens

heywooood
March 1st, 2009, 14:50
not something at the airports -

the bounce would even occur at times in the water with seaplanes...

the problem is caused by ground textures getting blurred slightly and then snapping into 'focus' as your rig catches up with the render...

some planes use too many textures or take too many draw calls in flight - or sometimes you have your terrain texture detail set too high...

so the penalty is usually a slight (or total) blur of the ground surface detail - as you land and taxi - the detail resets to full focus and for some reason - this pops the plane into the air for a second.

reduce your ground texture detail slightly and see if it helps - just reduce it until the popping stops.

MenendezDiego
March 1st, 2009, 14:58
Well Dobbins and Warner Robins were fine, Edwards still bouncy.

That makes sense wood!

Lionheart
March 1st, 2009, 18:05
Remember, there are three kinds of hopping

* Bumps in runway and tarmac
* Bad contact points causing issues that actually make the aircraft hop now and then
* FSX built-in bug where things, for some odd reason, hop.. the plane will hop/blink/stutter, and if at an airport, all ground vehicles will momentarily hop once in a while... Sometimes alot on some computers.

So it could be 1 (or 2, or 3) of the above issues.

Bill

limjack
March 1st, 2009, 18:17
Door number 3 for me then. Bummer for me but living with it.

Hopping Jim

Lionheart
March 1st, 2009, 18:21
Door number 3 for me then. Bummer for me but living with it.

Hopping Jim

Mine also does neat things with clouds and runways. Clouds will disappear in groups in an area, then reappear. Runways turn into 'designer pink' or 'lime green' momentarily.

But! (but).. its running smoothly....! :d Bring on the pink runways man!

:ernae:

leonross
March 1st, 2009, 18:27
Could you post the Contact Points for the bouncing aircraft . At least the Point 0 , Point 1 and Point 2 lines .
They're in the Aircraft cfg .

MenendezDiego
March 1st, 2009, 18:43
I've come to realize it's all aircraft at certain airports

heywooood
March 1st, 2009, 19:11
Mine also does neat things with clouds and runways. Clouds will disappear in groups in an area, then reappear. Runways turn into 'designer pink' or 'lime green' momentarily.

But! (but).. its running smoothly....! :d Bring on the pink runways man!

check this thread for clouds fix...
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=1308

since I made the adjustment my clouds always stay put

heywooood
March 1st, 2009, 19:15
I've come to realize it's all aircraft at certain airports

which airports - because if they are 3rd party addons with extra ground / building textures - or FSX default large airports again heavy on the rendering side then try turning down your ground detail slider a notch or two - I had that hoppy business and this is the only thng that worked for me...until I can afford to go from 2 to 4 gigs of RAM anyhoos

heywooood
March 1st, 2009, 19:34
lastly - all the constant fiddlin' and fuxin with FSX has gotten tiring - so I 'reloaded' Lomac....it runs flawlessly at extremely high settings and is a walk in the park to configure...compared to the monkeyshines that FSX is.

enjoy

MenendezDiego
March 1st, 2009, 20:01
They are all default FSX runways.

Here are my system specs, as I don't believe it is due to high settings

XP 32bit Service Pack 3 Professional
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8600 at 3.33GHz, 3.25 Gigs of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, running at 1920x1200
HP LP2475w LCD Monitor

Everything runs great except the bumps lol

I might just have to live with it

heywooood
March 1st, 2009, 20:06
well I've got a P3.4 with 2 cores and a Zotac 8800gt512 with 2gigs of RAM on XP Sp3 and it was the ground texture setting that was giving me problems - I backed it down a click or two from full and it did the trick...and you really dont notice it at all - but you DO notice the popcorn popper is shut down

MenendezDiego
March 1st, 2009, 20:21
I'll give it a try and report back :wavey:

Lionheart
March 1st, 2009, 20:22
Nice Warthog Heywoood!

Bill

MenendezDiego
March 1st, 2009, 20:27
here are my settings as of now, what is it that I should turn down?

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/MenendezDiego2008/settings.jpg

heywooood
March 1st, 2009, 20:31
thats the SIMMOD A-10 for Lomac and its way smoother than the old default one - sometimes you just gotta load up the ol' truck an' go a huntin'

plus I figured since I spent all this corn on a rig to run FSX with...and thats ok - that I might try an older sim and really get some bang for those bucks.

Lomac never looked so good - and with the Walmis F-15 and this newer better Hog etc...I'm quite happy.

heywooood
March 1st, 2009, 20:44
Ok - my LOD radius = large
Mesh complexity = 100
Mesh REs = 5m
Text Res. = 60cm
Water effects = High 2x and I use FS Water Configurator (highly recommend it its free too) *water slider settings make a huge difference*
Scenery Complexity = Very Dense
Autogen Density = Very Dense
Special Effects = Medium
My frame rates are locked @ 33 *this was also a big difference - I tried a lot of other settings including 'unlimited' and all
other settings gave me problems - I tried 60, 50, 40, 30, 25, and none give me the results that 33 does...go figure*

the water and frame rate settings can have an adverse affect on terrain textures, your rig is rendering water at whatever level you select
and is trying to give you the locked frame rates at that level, in addition to all the other texture settings you have selected, and it causes your hardware to make sacrifices to meet that FPS lock you have...so it all matters - everything is tied to everything else, FSX is practically a symbiotic organism.

I have reduced in the FSX cfg max buildings and max trees per cell to 900 bldgs and 1100 trees per cell
I use 2 additional file tweaks - 'reduced trees' and 'reduced clouds'
I use REX GEX and FSGenesis
I tweaked texture max load to 4096 in FSX cfg
and followed NickN's XP and FSX configuration tutorial almost to the letter....

I would suggest lowering your water slider one or two notches and reducing 'Special Effects' to Medium - you still get good extra effects and to be honest - I cant tell the difference with mine at med vs high so...
Also - check your Frame Rate lock and lower that setting too

FSX is a different animal on every other rig out there - I've never seen anything so fickle and fussworthy in my life - hence the Lomac re-install

MenendezDiego
March 1st, 2009, 21:40
Awesome, seems to be running better already :)

thank you!

heywooood
March 2nd, 2009, 04:01
thats great :ernae:

now - you still might get the odd hop or two in some places, especially if you change views alot - the external fixed and flyby views can dump sudden pressure on your processor/vid card, especially if you are in a fast mover - but all in all hopefully it should not be very often atall.

one other thing I did was remove the tower view from the view cycle rotation - this view causes major rendering problems as it puts a tremendous, sudden load on your card and processors...

there is a thread here in SOH on how to do it...
removing that view really helped in my situation.

MenendezDiego
March 2nd, 2009, 07:50
But thats one of my favorite views :)

"Ghostrider, request fly by" "Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full:woot:" lol

fliger747
March 2nd, 2009, 22:29
I have recently had this issue with an aircraft under development, but it occured only in FSX Sp2 and not Accel. Adjusting the dampening etc of the contact points may work sometimes. Only sometimes.

Cheers: T.